General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 06:59 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Link me.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=1
Old 01-06-2002, 07:24 PM

not louder than CAI?

believe me it is. Steve's old car was not as loud (he had CAI, Y, no cats), and I havent heard any Maxima that loud yet (and ive been to quite a few meets).

oh yeah... not to mention 10hp gain

- matt
Old 01-06-2002, 07:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mattC
not louder than CAI?

believe me it is. Steve's old car was not as loud (he had CAI, Y, no cats), and I havent heard any Maxima that loud yet (and ive been to quite a few meets).

oh yeah... not to mention 10hp gain

- matt
Mike's car was loud.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Mike's car was loud.
yes it was pretty loud ofr just a CAI but i think this the loudest intake i've ever heard. even the guys at the dyno shop and i'm sure they've seen many cars said this was loud and had a HUGE gain from just an intake.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:20 PM

i have the upper portion of the PR CAI and then the stillen intake with a K&N , so i basically have a hybrid intake that is loud as a ****! CAI is just as loud cause of the droning through the pipe. first time i heard the cai was on synki's car, i creamed my pants
Old 01-06-2002, 09:48 PM

I don't know why people think that the CAI gives you a boost in power while the SI looses power.

Funny thing is, the fastest N/A maximas ALL have popcharger intakes.

Sound and butt dynos don't mean $hit. Go CHASSIS dyno each intake...and you'll see that you're actually missing out on some power up top with the CAI.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:10 PM

Mike's car was loud.
My 95 max was the loudest max I ever heard, especially after the headers were added.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by emax95

My 95 max was the loudest max I ever heard, especially after the headers were added.
even with the ricer... errr i mean stillen muffler
Old 01-07-2002, 05:28 AM

Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

This is just what i needed to hear. That sound is exactly what im looking for. How Much and where can i get it?
Old 01-07-2002, 05:35 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

Originally posted by maxperformance
This is just what i needed to hear. That sound is exactly what im looking for. How Much and where can i get it?
You will NOT be dissapointed. Place Racing sells them, Cattman sells them, Custommaxima sells them, and Warpspeed sells them.

You can get my CAI at www.cattman.com

Or www.custommaxima.com

or www.warpspeedperformance.com
Old 01-07-2002, 05:36 AM

Originally posted by MaximaRider
first time i heard the cai was on synki's car, i creamed my pants

Hahaha
Old 01-07-2002, 05:42 AM

I forgot how your Max sounds. Maybe Mikes sounded to be the loudest because he was the loudest in the MA/CT Caravans.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:18 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaximaRider
i have the upper portion of the PR CAI and then the stillen intake with a K&N , so i basically have a hybrid intake that is loud as a ****! CAI is just as loud cause of the droning through the pipe. first time i heard the cai was on synki's car, i creamed my pants
This is the setup that I currently have.

I had two maxes at the same time, one with a PR CAI and one with the Stillen intake and similar power mods all around (the car with the CAI had a RT CAT and Apexi Catback, while the SI car didn't).

I can honestly say that I didn't notice ANY lag in the SI car compared to the CAI car at all. Noise was very different, but I doubt that you'll find much of a power difference between the two.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:02 AM

True. But here's the thing for the CAI;

a) the CAI boosts the VQ's power from stock in a way that you can use everyday. The POP benefit only is of value if you race all the time. Middle to low end torque is hurt somewhat with the POP. Not so with the CAI.

b) I'm beginning to believe the the CAI loss at the top end is really only the CAI showing the 4th gens main weakness, no variable intake manifold to shorten the intake runners at highr rpms. To support my theory, we'd have to see dynos of 2 5th gen Maximas, one with POP, one with CAI.

DW

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I don't know why people think that the CAI gives you a boost in power while the SI looses power.

Sound and butt dynos don't mean $hit. Go CHASSIS dyno each intake...and you'll see that you're actually missing out on some power up top with the CAI.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:15 AM

First of all let me say thank you to Brian Catts for his kind service. Although we had to be a little "creative" during the install. The hole we drilled we used the little rubber circle that came off the stock intake adaptor and it fit around the hole perfectly, and the CAI tube fit in it snug and perfectly.

Ok, performance wise before the install all I had was a cone popcharger. Now the Cattman (PR) cai...

W-O-W. The lag is no more! I mean, it's hard to tell becuase the difference of a pop isn't huge, but man! It accelerates more freely and don't even get me started on the sound. People who say the CAI is like a pop except maybe a little louder, you are wrong my friends. It sounds like a p!ssed off dragon or something under hard acceleration. Immediantly put a smile on my face. My sister has the pop I had and I took her for a ride, and she was like "woah, that sounds like a race car!"
All the pop gave me was a bum,bum,bum, a pretty deep sound and a lag. My tires spin off the line a little more now with the CAI, and the car feels like it can revv more freely.

Now, midrange power. Belive me or not I felt a little more boost in that area with the CAI over the pop as well. I havent tested the highway yet, but I go to school tommorow so I will then.

In my opinion, the switch was TOTALLY worth it. The engine sounds much more aggressive and unique. For anyone who wants to make the switch, and have the $$ GO FOR IT!

Funny you should post this today...I just installed my Place Racing CAI over the weekend. I had just the K&N in the stock airbox before. The difference is very much as you described it. To feel the difference, take off on a rolling start and keep a steady 3/4 throttle, watch what happens when it gets above 3k rpms. I love my investment. For those out there on the fence as to wether is worth it or not; all you're missing is much more violent throttle response off the line, mid range punch at regular speeds, and a scary sound when you go to WOT. Is that worth a couple of hundred bucks? To me the answer is a resounding, HELL YEA!.....
Old 01-07-2002, 01:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

Well if your not comfortable with drilling a large hole in the side of your car a pop intake is the way to go. I knocked off .2 tenths of a second off my 0-60{consitently too} times with my stillen intake. I also like to know if I ever have to go in for warranty work I can pop my pop off in about 2 minutes.
never thought of that Ethan, good point!
Old 01-07-2002, 01:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

i cant wait, its coming
Old 01-07-2002, 01:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

Originally posted by RedMax95
i cant wait, its coming
You will be amazed
Old 01-07-2002, 01:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

You will be amazed
i dont doubt it, whats awful i went over to my friends house, and he has a 90 5.0 and i was like i ordered a cai and he takes me into his garage and shows me the 5.6 liter engine he just got, made me feel quite insignificant
Old 01-07-2002, 02:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

Originally posted by RedMax95

i dont doubt it, whats awful i went over to my friends house, and he has a 90 5.0 and i was like i ordered a cai and he takes me into his garage and shows me the 5.6 liter engine he just got, made me feel quite insignificant
Old 01-07-2002, 03:27 PM

what is the difference with warpspeed's CAI from the Place Racing and the Cattman???
Old 01-07-2002, 03:50 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Good choice Craig M.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:57 PM

Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

Originally posted by 2K2DEMAX
Good choice Craig M.
My real name is Craig R. but Craig M. is fine
Old 01-07-2002, 04:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

My real name is Craig R. but Craig M. is fine
What about Craig-R? (I bet you won't get it)
Old 01-07-2002, 04:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

What about Craig-R? :w: (I bet you won't get it)
Foo, first you insult me by calling me a rice boy then you tell my I won't get the joke ? Shame Deezo, Shame.

It will, and always will be Craig Mack baby 4000 dagreez
Old 01-07-2002, 04:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

Foo, first you insult me by calling me a rice boy then you tell my I won't get the joke ? Shame Deezo, Shame.

It will, and always will be Craig Mack baby 4000 dagreez
I told you you wouldn't get it.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

I told you you wouldn't get it.
Craig-R = Craig type R or somethin like that, right ? I've never heard of a rapper named craig-r
Old 01-07-2002, 06:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

Craig-R = Craig type R or somethin like that, right ? I've never heard of a rapper named craig-r
Cragar Wheels.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

Cragar Wheels.
Uhhhh huhhhhh....cute Deezo, cute.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

Uhhhh huhhhhh....cute Deezo, cute.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just went from a popcharger to CAI....WOW!

ya it was kinda sad, esp. with the other mods he has he is going to be pushing 450hp, i used to hang fairly well, but so much for that, btw you guys are
Old 01-07-2002, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi

a) the CAI boosts the VQ's power from stock in a way that you can use everyday. The POP benefit only is of value if you race all the time. Middle to low end torque is hurt somewhat with the POP. Not so with the CAI.

take a look at this link....both cars were dynoed the same day...and both cars have been run against each other. One with CAI and one with the SI. as you notice from the dyno chart.....the power is EQUAL from both up to 50 mph...where the pop makes MORE power. Only from 70 to 80 does the CAI make more power...but then the pop comes back on top a full 5hp ahead of the CAI. I wouldn't exactly call that a mid to low end loss by the SI....
Old 01-07-2002, 08:52 PM

My thoughts are similar

I went with JWT because it was cheaper, and also a few deeper reasons. Our cars make good low and mid range power, because of the long intake runners. When you put on the CAI, you just make that path even longer and the engine really runs out of breath up top. The JWT excels up top because of the short path. Most people that go to the track with a CAI say leave it in drive, While the JWT guys manually shift to run higher RPM's, because they can. This just gives you more power in the next gear. I will admit that the CAI sounds better, but I made the upper CAI piece and put on my JWT and it is alot deeper and louder.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi

take a look at this link..
CAI vs. SI
..both cars were dynoed the same day...and both cars have been run against each other. One with CAI and one with the SI. as you notice from the dyno chart.....the power is EQUAL from both up to 50 mph...where the pop makes MORE power. Only from 70 to 80 does the CAI make more power...but then the pop comes back on top a full 5hp ahead of the CAI. I wouldn't exactly call that a mid to low end loss by the SI....
Old 01-07-2002, 08:57 PM

We've had this discussion before. The dynos were of two different cars from different years

Not one car with a CAI and then a HAI, but one car with a HAI and another car with a CAI.

And as we know cars are different. Same year cars are different enough let alone two different cars from two different years.

(btw, I'm a HAI guy myself.)

take a look at this link..
CAI vs. SI
..both cars were dynoed the same day...and both cars have been run against each other. One with CAI and one with the SI. as you notice from the dyno chart.....the power is EQUAL from both up to 50 mph...where the pop makes MORE power. Only from 70 to 80 does the CAI make more power...but then the pop comes back on top a full 5hp ahead of the CAI. I wouldn't exactly call that a mid to low end loss by the SI....
Old 01-07-2002, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by clee130
We've had this discussion before. The dynos were of two different cars from different years

Not one car with a CAI and then a HAI, but one car with a HAI and another car with a CAI.

And as we know cars are different. Same year cars are different enough let alone two different cars from two different years.

Victim64 has both, and he went to the track and neither was faster, but this was his only mod I believe. He now uses the JWT and likes it better. Even if the CAI makes better power down low, I don't need any more, because at the track I spun all the way through first anyway.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:13 PM

I know that....but I was just trying to show that on a DYNO...there is NOT a loss of low end with a popcharger....and 96sleeper futhrer proved my point with the fact that he spins all the way through first with a popcharger...

The original point of this thread was someones observation that they're car was "faster" (butt dynoed) with the CAI....and I'm just saying that's not true...
Old 01-08-2002, 05:03 AM

I know that....but I was just trying to show that on a DYNO...there is NOT a loss of low end with a popcharger....and 96sleeper futhrer proved my point with the fact that he spins all the way through first with a popcharger...

The original point of this thread was someones observation that they're car was "faster" (butt dynoed) with the CAI....and I'm just saying that's not true...
i think people with auto SEEM to feel it more. because i switched and it felt a little faster down low but i'm sure it was all in my head because it was slower up top. like with the JWT or my frankenintake, it makes your top end and my middle range with my intake much better and DOES NOT AFFECT your lowend thats why i started my dyno runs so low.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:11 AM

Yeah, what Clee said. I've seen the graphs and concluded the same thing. Now, the dyno shows that the SI ultimately is the better mod, but this doesn't take into account the real world experiences.

I do agree that the POP is better at the track, that's because you are only in one mode at the track:WOT

But real world driving where you are feathering the throttle, then you mash it, then you cut back, then you cruise, etc, the CAI is better. The CAI is better suited to the dynamics of daily driving. ANd it still gives a hell of a boost in power (and sound!) over stock.

DW