General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Slipping clutch ability to "fiix" itself?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 03:42 AM

Slipping clutch ability to "fiix" itself?

While hanging with the Atlanta crew last week Bags535 Nismo2020 Sprayin70 D_98SE Craaaaaaaazy Someone came up with the idea of doing burn outs on camera. Voice of reason said "don't do it" but the adrenaline was still flowing from the earlier runs so I joined the crew and did burnouts

After spinning the the tires for about 30 feet I am heading home and my clutch is not gripping and the tach is just doing it's own thing I felt like a total idiot on the way home. I have 63K miles on her I had a long ride home about 45 miles. It was 2am in the morning so I rarely had to touch the clutch. I have absolutely babied the clutch since this happened (last Friday) and the clutch is working fine now. I have not chirped the tires since or even down shifted in a very spirited way like I love to do and hear the exhaust roar. I don't know how much time I have left on the clutch but I am shocked it is still gripping after totally slipping on Friday I left the car in the garage all weekend. I am assuming I will need to replace the clutch soon, if this is the case I will go ACT all the way I have read only great thing about the ACT clutch. Needless to say I will never do burnouts again.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:48 AM
Keven97SE

What likely happened is you overheated your clutch during your burnout session. You probably rode the clutch pedal during the burnouts, allowing the clutch to slip and heat up. Hot clutch = no grip. That's why it sucked on the drive home. Now that it's cool, it works fine.

Don't worry about the clutch. Worry about the tires and transmission. Keep doing burnouts and you'll likely have to replace both soon.

Old 01-09-2002, 07:50 AM
Administrator

drive it again today.. if its still slipping then almost replace time.. i did a couple burnouts with NOS and i was experiencing the same problem all weekend.. but by mid week everything was fine again
Old 01-09-2002, 08:28 AM

It depends, if you overheat your clutch and the thing becomes glazed then you may irrepably damage it (this is what happened to my OE clutch). This is cause the material used to bond the friction material together is forced to the clutch surface and then the grabbing power is lost. Mine did NOT go away even after a month of driving.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
drive it again today.. if its still slipping then almost replace time.. i did a couple burnouts with NOS and i was experiencing the same problem all weekend.. but by mid week everything was fine again
Thanks for the replys It has been 5 days and the car is driving fine I am still going to take it easy on the clutch. I will never do burnouts again. I look forward to chirping 3rd once I get the ACT.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:40 AM

Check with some local transmission places... I think most, or at least some, do free inspections.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by ivolley

Thanks for the replys It has been 5 days and the car is driving fine I am still going to take it easy on the clutch. I will never do burnouts again. I look forward to chirping 3rd once I get the ACT.
i did a burn out a couple days later
Old 01-09-2002, 12:48 PM

hey ivolley,
glad to hear ur car is all good now. i wouldn't really worry about ur clutch now, it was all a heat issue. do a couple more burnouts on the oem clutch and then get the act clutch! might as well have fun...
Old 01-09-2002, 12:55 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Slipping clutch ability to "fiix" itself?

While hanging with the Atlanta crew last week Bags535 Nismo2020 Sprayin70 D_98SE Craaaaaaaazy Someone came up with the idea of doing burn outs on camera. Voice of reason said "don't do it" but the adrenaline was still flowing from the earlier runs so I joined the crew and did burnouts

hey hey hey..... when was the last time I suggested burn outs??? I might be the devil when it comes to the speed we travel but I am not the burn out master.

he knows who he is...
Old 01-09-2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by craaaazzy

hey ivolley,
glad to hear ur car is all good now. i wouldn't really worry about ur clutch now, it was all a heat issue. do a couple more burnouts on the oem clutch and then get the act clutch! might as well have fun...
Go out with a bang right?

SuDZ
Old 01-09-2002, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Slipping clutch ability to "fiix" itself?

Originally posted by bags533

hey hey hey..... when was the last time I suggested burn outs??? I might be the devil when it comes to the speed we travel but I am not the burn out master.

he knows who he is...
must be Nismo2020.. he is the F#cking Man on Burnouts he is the Burnout KING!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2002, 02:32 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: Re: Slipping clutch ability to "fiix" itself?

must be Nismo2020.. he is the F#cking Man on Burnouts he is the Burnout KING!!!!!!!!!!

wonder how you knew
Old 01-09-2002, 03:27 PM

Correct and guess who was the camera man again.

'Sup ivolley sorry about your clutch mine seems okay apart from it's ability to make me look like a learner on cold morning's.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:35 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Slipping clutch ability to "fiix" itself?

Originally posted by d_98SE

Correct and guess who was the camera man again.

'Sup ivolley sorry about your clutch mine seems okay apart from it's ability to make me look like a learner on cold morning's.
hey check your PM's
Old 01-09-2002, 06:23 PM

Re: Re: Slipping clutch ability to "fiix" itself?

Originally posted by bags533

he knows who he is...

Come on Bags ya know I gotta blame something on you.

craaazzy, When you passed me on the way home I felt like a puppy with my tail between my legs I was assuming the worst but she is running fine now.

Yeah Nismo2020 had the idea but I choose to join in, no biggy, as most of you know Carl is a big advocate of the ACT clutch he kept apologizing I told him don't worry it was my fault, Hey Bags since he is out of town maybe we can snag is ACT and put it in my car and give him the my OEM burned out on the it's leg clutch

I won't tell.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:34 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Come on Bags ya know I gotta blame something on you.

craaazzy, When you passed me on the way home I felt like a puppy with my tail between my legs I was assuming the worst but she is running fine now.

Yeah Nismo2020 had the idea but I choose to join in, no biggy, as most of you know Carl is a big advocate of the ACT clutch he kept apologizing I told him don't worry it was my fault, Hey Bags since he is out of town maybe we can snag is ACT and put it in my car and give him the my OEM burned out on the it's leg clutch

I won't tell.

sounds good , i got his keys..

BTW check your PM's