General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help! Put in new battery, now all is dead.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 06:50 AM

Help! Put in new battery, now all is dead.

I have a 96' GXE. The original battery was dead/dying with my car parked nose in in the garage. After having to jump it a few weeks ago, now it would not turn the engine. However, I got the usual clicks and interior lights went on, etc, so all power systems seemed OK.
This is with the car nosed in the garage so I could not easily jump it. So it seemed time for a new battery. I went to NTW and got a new battery (Diehard Gold, about 600CCA) and replaced it myself. Now everything is dead - no power at all!! NTW say it was fully charged and that maybe by disconnecting the old battery I reset something in the alarm or computer. Does this make sense and how do get power back? Any ideas?

(NTW said that if it is the battery they will give me a new one but they think that is not likely the problem.)
Old 01-11-2002, 06:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Even though NTW says the battery was charged, I would bet it isn't. I don't think anything resets when you change the battery, although I may be wrong. Sounds like NTW is full of crap.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:01 AM

Re: Help! Put in new battery, now all is dead.

Originally posted by Tedmax
I have a 96' GXE. The original battery was dead/dying with my car parked nose in in the garage. After having to jump it a few weeks ago, now it would not turn the engine. However, I got the usual clicks and interior lights went on, etc, so all power systems seemed OK.
This is with the car nosed in the garage so I could not easily jump it. So it seemed time for a new battery. I went to NTW and got a new battery (Diehard Gold, about 600CCA) and replaced it myself. Now everything is dead - no power at all!! NTW say it was fully charged and that maybe by disconnecting the old battery I reset something in the alarm or computer. Does this make sense and how do get power back? Any ideas?

(NTW said that if it is the battery they will give me a new one but they think that is not likely the problem.)
i would swap the battery firt before doing anything else. Might just be bad luck.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Try jump-starting the car.

-Cyrus
Old 01-11-2002, 08:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Is there a main fuseable link in our cars? If so it could have blown when you jumped it or when the new battery was connected. Get a volt meter and measure the battery. OR take a coat hanger and jump the positive and negative terminals. Be prepaired to jump if that battery is good. Your gonna get a nice spark show.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Make sure the alternator is charging that baby too. If you put the battery in the car and it didn't start, chances are the battery wasn't charged (should have been but wasn't).
Old 01-11-2002, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Is there a main fuseable link in our cars? If so it could have blown when you jumped it or when the new battery was connected. Get a volt meter and measure the battery. OR take a coat hanger and jump the positive and negative terminals. Be prepaired to jump if that battery is good. Your gonna get a nice spark show.

Thanks. That is also a good question. Does anyone know if there is a fuseable link I could have tripped in putting in the battery?
Old 01-11-2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
OR take a coat hanger and jump the positive and negative terminals. Be prepaired to jump if that battery is good. Your gonna get a nice spark show.
DON'T DO THIS!!! Discharging batteries give off hydrogen gas. There is a possibility that you could end up with a face full of sulfuric acid.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:54 PM

try puttin the battery in the freezer to charge it up the ghetto way - just kidding.....goto yor local diehard dealer and have them charge it up - they'll do it for free