General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Installing RAZO GUN GRIP???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 10:46 AM

Installing RAZO GUN GRIP???

Has anyone installed the Razo Gun Grip? I'm not sure how to install it.....i would greatly appreciate if someone could help me out with some instructions.....like i looked on the ones provided with them and they are quite confusing....please helppp...

vilash
Old 01-13-2002, 10:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What year is your car?
Old 01-13-2002, 10:57 AM

2000 MAXIMA...
Old 01-13-2002, 11:07 AM

Well ... in that case, I'm not too sure how to help. I have a 95.

I took off the shifter trim piece, unscrewed the screws in the stock shifter, then cut wires, cut the black trim piece that came with the Razo, and then put everything back together ... it was kind of easy.

The only hard part was tapping the wires back together...
Old 01-13-2002, 12:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hard

You have to remove the center console and then remove the factory shifter, cut the wires for the O/D, install new shifter connect wires, test O/D button before reassembling, and then put the shifter back on. The shifter goes on and off with the screws that are found on the front side of it( ash tray side). After all of that reinstall console. If you don't understand it I would take it to a shop that can do it for you! Good luck! I did mine with a friends help and it took about an hour or so.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:44 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

EASY

Come on it's pretty straight forward. I put the Razo Gun Grip in my 99. Had to take out the center piece around the shifter to get access to the OD wire. Aside from that it was just 2 screws that hold the shifter in place. They should have provided you with wire taps in the kit. Once you take your old shifter out, you'll see who easy it is to install the new one. You have to cut that bottom sleve to fit correctly. Other then that should take you about 30 minutes.

Tools needed:
Philips screwdriver
Pliers
Side cutters
Sharp Knive
Old 01-13-2002, 03:33 PM

Re: EASY

How do you take off the center piece around the shifter?

thanks
vilash
Old 01-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: EASY

Originally posted by vman

thanks
vilash
I'm to sure about 2K models. But mine just pryed up. I used a small flat head to and started around the lower corners. It just popped right out.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:19 PM

Re: Re: EASY

Originally posted by vman

thanks
vilash
You don't need to remove anything besides the stock shift. The instruction they give is garbage, It'll only confuse you. It's quite straight forward. Remove stock, cut the od wire right @ the base of the stock shift to allow slack. Cut to size and slide black rubber tube over and attach wire to razo shifter. Align holes, screw, and test od and slide up and down making sure it doesn't slip without pressing the lock (obviously it's dangerous to drive and hit it by accident and go in reverse) If it does slide, most likly the black rubber tube is too long and needs to be cut to size or you have the shifter aligned in the wrong whole and down too low. Hope this helps...very nice shifter that looks great with aluminum dash kit.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: EASY

Sorry, missed the 2000... I don't know if the same applies then becuase I did the install on a 4th Gen.

Originally posted by klubjunkee

You don't need to remove anything besides the stock shift. The instruction they give is garbage, It'll only confuse you. It's quite straight forward. Remove stock, cut the od wire right @ the base of the stock shift to allow slack. Cut to size and slide black rubber tube over and attach wire to razo shifter. Align holes, screw, and test od and slide up and down making sure it doesn't slip without pressing the lock (obviously it's dangerous to drive and hit it by accident and go in reverse) If it does slide, most likly the black rubber tube is too long and needs to be cut to size or you have the shifter aligned in the wrong whole and down too low. Hope this helps...very nice shifter that looks great with aluminum dash kit.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:34 PM

I have this on my 2k.....pop open the sides....everything around the shifter comes out...cut and run the wires...it isnt too hard

if someone so unmechanically inclined as i did this....you can do it...dont pay anyone