General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2015 Nissan Maxima Teased Ahead of Concept's Debut: 2014 Detroit Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
Seem like things dropped drastically for the Maxima with the 7th dont get me wrong very nice cars but feels like something is missing.
It seems this way because it's true. Set aside all of the bells and whistles you get in the new Max, what does it have? Nissan is just nuts in my opinion and they need a "car guy" to run it just like GM has now. This is the only way Maxima fans will every be happy in the future.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 PM

With the 7th gen what you get a half a** car and I dont mean any disrespect to any of the 7th owners. What you got is a car that seems to have been released when it was only halfway finished on the drawing board. In other words its a great car that should be even greater. The 7th gen Maxima is missing too much and the result is a car that's way behind while the competition is way ahead. The 3rd gen Maxima was too far ahead that's why it was successful.

The 6th gen was also a slapped together design but at the same time it was ahead of the competition in size power and refinement which gave it a little boost. When the 6th came out alot of car makers imitated it the Lexus GS,Toyota with the Avalon,even the Impala at the time from the rear looks like a 6th, but its reliability issues killed what could have been a perfect car. So if the 8th gen Maxima doesnt have a well balanced design then its gonna be another failure for Nissan and all of us.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 11-10-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:55 PM

From this concept shot I can tell you already that thing is gonna look good on the highway at night! it's a step in the right direction

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 11-10-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:16 AM

With the 7th gen what you get a half a** car and I dont mean any disrespect to any of the 7th owners. What you got is a car that seems to have been released when it was only halfway finished on the drawing board. In other words its a great car that should be even greater. The 7th gen Maxima is missing too much and the result is a car that's way behind while the competition is way ahead. The 3rd gen Maxima was too far ahead that's why it was successful.

The 6th gen was also a slapped together design but at the same time it was ahead of the competition in size power and refinement which gave it a little boost. When the 6th came out alot of car makers imitated it the Lexus GS,Toyota with the Avalon,even the Impala at the time from the rear looks like a 6th, but its reliability issues killed what could have been a perfect car. So if the 8th gen Maxima doesnt have a well balanced design then its gonna be another failure for Nissan and all of us.
If someone feels disrespected by anyone's opinion about the new Max, they don't need to be here.

I bought a G8 GT, is it a perfect car? Not at all but the car has heart and soul that most people can't even fathom. It looks good but doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles in regards to the interior but it still looks good inside. The car is a sports sedan with only that focus in mind and it definitely hauls **** for it's size. It's what the Maxima should have been in my opinion.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:49 PM

I'm gonna be quiet today because after all this 7th gen downtalk now I might end up getting one!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM
I need a truck

I agree with Deezo, this seems like a Hail Mary

I was on the Nissan lot a few months ago when my wife was looking at cars. I ventured over to the new maxima and I was much less than impressed. Might as well get the Altima
Old 11-11-2013, 01:06 PM

I'm a bit of hard situation because i'm always making repairs on my 6th gen i'm not gonna trade it but I need to buy another car asap right now I might have to get me a 7th gen until I can get me a Lexus or a big SUV.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:50 PM
OG and counting...

If they produce it with the following parameters, I may be interested:

a) No CVT....PERIOD
b) Manual Option
c) Keep that style
d) RWD or AWD

I have driven a 6, 6.5, and a 7th Gen Max. I agree with Deezo. For the price, I'd consider a G8 GXP with a few mods. RWD and waaaaaaay more power. Also, a Taurus SHO with mods that push it to 505 hp.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:04 PM

That 8th gen looks like a cross between a bmw, 7thgen, and the new altima. Hating the front grill already. I am surprised there aren't more pics of the tease up. Let me find them and post em. Thread seems so incomplete.

Edit:

Last edited by po8pimp; 11-11-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:54 PM

I'm a bit of hard situation because i'm always making repairs on my 6th gen i'm not gonna trade it but I need to buy another car asap right now I might have to get me a 7th gen until I can get me a Lexus or a big SUV.
Don't let any of this Jibba jab stop u from getting the 7th gen, this is the general discussion so most people here don't even own a 7th gen. Since we're getting into convo of best maximas, I'll honestly say the 5th gen was but that's the past and doesn't come close to the looks and styling of the 7th gen of the present. I've owned nissans my whole life , my last being a 09 Altima, and all I kept seeing were maximas and saying to myself that thing is aggressive. Until u own a 7th gen u can't compare any maxima of the past, oh and doesn't hurt when u know everyone's breaking there neck staring at your car. Let's hope nissan stays on the same path with the 8th gen. Let's not forget this is MY opinion guys
Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 PM

I test drove a black 2012 SV this afternoon, it was pretty nice it has a long hood and good power small steering wheel. You guys are gonna think im crazy for saying this but my 6th gen on the rims rides alot smoother than the 2012. The SV ride was pretty good but didn't have as slick smooth glide feel. I liked the turning radius it was much more improved over the 6th and with 290HP that thing flies!!!!!!!!!! great car much better than a Camry or Accord a bit tight interior but not a bad car pretty nice!
http://www.anciranissansa.com/Used-2...SV/vd/16564065

Name:  100_7315_zps847517bd.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  30.6 KB

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 11-13-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:34 AM

another render

Old 11-14-2013, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
another render

Not bad at all...
Old 11-14-2013, 08:57 AM

That's how a Maxima should look!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:00 AM

Old 11-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks nice, glad to see nissan finally lost their bubble butt fetish.

Just praying for the snowballs chance in hell that they reintroduce a 6speed option. Manual transmissions are becoming quite rare these days; a manual 8th gen would not only attract fans of the maxima and those wanting a nice fast sedan, but a lot of enthusiasts who simply want a manual tranny option on a modern car.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:40 PM

still has a lot of funkiness on the doors and I despise the "U" grill.

It's like a pissed off bird but I like it.

Now lets work on the trans and the drivetrain set up(RWD yes please).
Old 11-14-2013, 02:51 PM

http://www.dailytechs.com/2016-nissan-maxima-nismo/

did someone say NISMO??

Old 11-14-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by deezo
They should just kill off the Maxima and make the Altima a RWD sedan with a V8. End of story.

The Maxima has gotten less "exciting" with each generation.
I highly doubt you ever will find a V8 RWD these days, a lot of manufacturer are looking to get higher power on a smaller displacement engine in terms of fuel economy. If you can show me a car out there in 2013/2014 model years have RWD with V-8, only found in BMW, Mercedes and Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300 SRT's. What even scarer is the V-6 are becoming a distant memory, that used to be found on a lot of cars in the past 10 yrs but now they are going with 4 cylinder with turbos on them. I doubt Nissan will ever do turbos on their four cylinders possibly on the next gen Z which were a lot of talks about them.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
I highly doubt you ever will find a V8 RWD these days, a lot of manufacturer are looking to get higher power on a smaller displacement engine in terms of fuel economy. If you can show me a car out there in 2013/2014 model years have RWD with V-8, only found in BMW, Mercedes and Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300 SRT's. What even scarer is the V-6 are becoming a distant memory, that used to be found on a lot of cars in the past 10 yrs but now they are going with 4 cylinder with turbos on them. I doubt Nissan will ever do turbos on their four cylinders possibly on the next gen Z which were a lot of talks about them.
Chevrolet is making the SS(Holden Commodore). A lot of 6's are going inline.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:04 AM

Hey guys havent been here ina' while ....Great pix on this new 8th Gen

But the back looks like as kia optima to me

What do u guys think..?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 AM

I love these renders!!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:18 PM

Hate the grill. But, most renderings are just eye candy guesses based on some intel and speculation. No hard evidence. I'm still holding out hope that Nissan will make it the car to have but if not... CTS-V here I come!!!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
Don't let any of this Jibba jab stop u from getting the 7th gen, this is the general discussion so most people here don't even own a 7th gen. Since we're getting into convo of best maximas, I'll honestly say the 5th gen was but that's the past and doesn't come close to the looks and styling of the 7th gen of the present. I've owned nissans my whole life , my last being a 09 Altima, and all I kept seeing were maximas and saying to myself that thing is aggressive. Until u own a 7th gen u can't compare any maxima of the past, oh and doesn't hurt when u know everyone's breaking there neck staring at your car. Let's hope nissan stays on the same path with the 8th gen. Let's not forget this is MY opinion guys
Owning a 7th gen doesn't mean can't give their opinions of it. I mean really, I think some of you guys are delusional because the 7th gen has the worst looking front end of all of the Maximas of the past. People know what it is when they see it. It's not exotic by any means. The CVT is a fail no matter what anyone says.

Everyone is going to have a different taste for cars but as a Maxima owner for the past 14 years, I think the the 6th and 7th gens are whack. Period. I don't need to own one to know. I know the Maxima is nothing of what it used to be.

Last edited by deezo; 11-18-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:41 PM

Yeah the 7th gen taught me not to judge a book by its cover because when you drive one it changes your whole perspective of the car that thing is nice on the road!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:18 PM

Yeah the 7th gen taught me not to judge a book by its cover because when you drive one it changes your whole perspective of the car that thing is nice on the road!
That's right but since we got the looks out of the way, there are tons of cars that you can drive that will change your perspective.

Just research some of the other cars out there before you pull the trigger on another Maxima. If you're into modding, then definitely don't by another Maxima.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:32 PM

We started out with a 93, then an 02 an 04 and now two 06s by the time the 7th gen came out it was a little different. It's taken a whole lot of time to get used to the 7th and i'm finally at the point where I can say im ok with it.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM

We started out with a 93, then an 02 an 04 and now two 06s by the time the 7th gen came out it was a little different. It's taken a whole lot of time to get used to the 7th and i'm finally at the point where I can say im ok with it.
That's cool. Enjoy it.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:02 PM

This isn't an endorsement for anyone to go out and buy a 7th gen but the cvt isn't going anywhere. It's one of those things that you need to get use to, I for one was foreign to the cvt when I first purchased my Altima but now I love it, it made the transition to the maxima easy. It just goes. As for the looks of the maxima again this is my opinion it's best looking maxima ever, the curves and flowiness to car is not like many out there, now there's definitely room for improvement so the 8th gen should be something to look forward too

Last edited by Tommy6905; 11-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 AM

CVT is a good match for the Maxima's V6 its smooth and refined. But with a 4 cylinder that's not gonna work its loud and noisy. The 8th gen Maxima I dont think a 7speed option is gonna be available but it would be an advantage over the competitors.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:11 PM

Nissan isn't making any progress until they introduce a 4 door with manual (3 pedal) transmission, id even go back to a maxima if they made it RWD
Old 11-25-2013, 06:15 AM

All this talk of which max looks the best is ridiculous. A 1997 maxima resembles most vehicles "in its class" for that era. Likewise for the 2007 and so forth. I have yet to see an "ugly" maxima..its all in your preference.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 PM
86M
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Sorry but just had to interject here... There are many still available in addition to the ones you mentioned - the Hyundai Equus, Hyundai Genesis, Kia K900, Infiniti M56/Q70 (ahem ), the Cadillac CTS, all of the flagships from Lexus, Audi, BMW, MB, & Jaguar - And the Jaguar XF also offers a RWD V8. Just sayin'..
Old 12-18-2013, 06:56 AM

Nissan has fallen behind the times technologically. The new Honda Accords have blind spot detection, lane departure detection and collision warning systems. With drivers so preoccupied with cell phone talking, texting, etc. these updates will be a determining factor for me in choosing my next car. Furthermore, the Honda's generate nearly the same horsepower on regular fuel. Seems that my next car may be a Honda Accord.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:15 PM

The problem with car manufacturers is they are finding solutions to problems that don't exist and loose focus on the fundamentals of making a "good car". They add features to cars not because you as the driver need them, but you as a consumer want them. Heck even some people in this very thread are talking about how Nissan needs to inject the next Maxima with a dose of fresh technology.

I would love if Nissan let the Altima be the boring, volume family sedan with a bunch of frivolous features and returned the Maxima back to its roots, like say a BR-Z/FR-S only with 4 doors and a useable trunk... but lets be honest here, something like that wouldn't sell well in an age where people will soon expect their car to do most of the driving for them.

If you look at the Q50, it hasn't changed much (mechanically) from the G37, only its been injected with more technology and has arguably moved further away from being a true sports sedan with its drive by wire steering and lack of a manual transmission.

I expect the next Maxima to be more or less the same, using the same engine, the same smooth [boring] CVT and more stupid features that no one actually needs simply because that's what sells.

In the mean time, I'll keep driving my 5th gen and endure the burden of having to change my own gears and pay attention to which lane I'm in.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by silberma
Nissan has fallen behind the times technologically. The new Honda Accords have blind spot detection, lane departure detection and collision warning systems.
MORE babysitting? Come on man
Old 12-23-2013, 04:38 AM

We have about 3 weeks until the Maxima reveal!!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 AM

I'm sure it won't be exciting in any way. Thanks Nissan.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:53 PM

The grill looks like it should be a brush bar on a pickup truck.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:34 PM

Looks exciting, can't wait ...

Quick Reply: 2015 Nissan Maxima Teased Ahead of Concept's Debut: 2014 Detroit Auto Show