General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What is my car worth as a trade-in

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What is my car worth as a trade-in

First off, I apologize if this is not in the correct place. I tried searching for topics related to car value, and could not determine an exact place to put this.

My car is turning into a money pit, and in my opinion, it is not worth it to keep repairing things on a ten year old car. I spent over $700 two weeks ago for exhaust repair, and now I think I have a stuck rear caliper and may need some other brake work. I am wondering approximately what my car will be worth as a trade-in. I live in Massachusetts, and I am hoping to get a 2010.

My car is a silver 2003 GLE with 137,xxx miles. Leather, sunroof, heated seats, all those options. Other than the brake issue, the car runs great. I've always put high-mileage Mobil 1 in it -- I got the car with 75k about 4 years ago. The body has a few minor scuffs and things to be expected with a ten year old car, but absolutely no major damage or scratches. No accidents.

Anyone have some ballpark figures for me?

Only mods -- which I understand will only matter if I sold the car to say, someone on here -- are FSTB, tinted windows, 8k bulbs, and system. I'll sell the system if anyone is interested. Alpine CDA9896, kicker 6.5 and tweeters on doors, kicker 400.1 amp, 12" JL audio w0

Last edited by NixMaxGLE; 10-02-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by NixMaxGLE
First off, I apologize if this is not in the correct place. I tried searching for topics related to car value, and could not determine an exact place to put this.

My car is turning into a money pit, and in my opinion, it is not worth it to keep repairing things on a ten year old car. I spent over $700 two weeks ago for exhaust repair, and now I think I have a stuck rear caliper and may need some other brake work. I am wondering approximately what my car will be worth as a trade-in. I live in Massachusetts, and I am hoping to get a 2010.

My car is a silver 2003 GLE with 137,xxx miles. Leather, sunroof, heated seats, all those options. Other than the brake issue, the car runs great. I've always put high-mileage Mobil 1 in it -- I got the car with 75k about 4 years ago. The body has a few minor scuffs and things to be expected with a ten year old car, but absolutely no major damage or scratches. No accidents.

Anyone have some ballpark figures for me?

Only mods -- which I understand will only matter if I sold the car to say, someone on here -- are FSTB, tinted windows, 8k bulbs, and system. I'll sell the system if anyone is interested. Alpine CDA9896, kicker 6.5 and tweeters on doors, kicker 400.1 amp, 12" JL audio w0
I got about $5000 trade-in last November for my 2003 SE Titanium edition. Had 112k miles, was in FAIR condition, and had three minor accidents (only one listed on CarFax btw). Three independent dealers (Nissan Auburn, Mastria Nissan, and Nissan Tewksbury) valued my car between $3000 - $3500 at auction.

A few weeks after I traded it in, I found the car listed at a used car place in New London CT. I actually drove down and checked it out. Still had the same bald tires on it, puke stain in the carpet in front of the passenger seat, worn windshield wipers, and hazy headlights that I left it with. It was listed for $8500. I told them they'd never get that much for it. About a month later they dropped the price to just under $8000. Last time I checked, it was no longer listed.

I completely agree with you about it becoming a money pit. My car had emissions problems, suspension problems, and burnt a ****load of oil.

My advice ... have a few dealers (Nissan or not) price it for you. When I went they all did it for free and didn't hassle me about shopping for another vehicle. This is really the best way to do it ... you won't be blindsided when the salesperson you're dealing with lowballs you.

Last edited by Jig9798; 10-02-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:25 PM

Your best bet is to check your local listings to see what a car like yours is being listed for. Average the price out of at least ten listings. That's how insurance companies determine the fair market value for cars if you're in an accident and it gets totaled, so they go by that average of local listings to determine the price of the car and then cut you a check.