General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Not exactly a roadkill (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 08:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

but I held on for a while.

Disclaimer: The following account is for entertainment purposes only. Going over the speed limit by an excessive amount or racing on the streets/highways is by no means legal. So if you wanna go race, don't say I made you do it!

I was driving my brother back to school at exit 63 out on Long Island. I was driving kind of fast because I wanted to get home in time to watch "X-Files". I pull up next to a mid 90's Honda Accord in the middle lane and pass him on the right. I speed up, go to the fast (left) lane and continue on my merry way, not looking for any trouble.

I'm pulling about 75 and I see the Honda's headlights pull out from the right also and start to speed up. He gets to within two car lengths of me when I turn the OD off and press on the gas. His headlights start to fade away.

I top 100 for about 10 seconds and let go of the gas as traffic starts to get heavy in front. I turn the OD on and I resume cruising speed.

The Honda comes zipping past me and cuts from the left lane all the way to the right and then back to the center. I move to the center and try to find an opening. No such luck. He get to three car lengths ahead of me when an opening appears on my left. So I move to the left and turn OD off. I step on the gas and catch up to him. I'm riding behind him now and he sees and opening to the left. He takes it and I see an opening to the right. We're both behind cars and the center lane is blocked by some slower cars.

The car in front of the Honda is going a little faster than the car in front of me so he pulls ahead. I slow down a little to get out from the car in front of me and pull all the way to the left behind the Honda.

I know he sees me so he decides to cheat by crossing the divider into the HOV lane. As he is 1/4 into the HOV lane, the car in front decides to move to the right and he has a clear opening. So he pulls away with me right behind him. We come up to some light traffic and he cuts to the middle lane. I continue in the left lane and traffic opens up. He guns it and I turn off the OD and gun it too. I'm slowly gaining on him when he cut to the right and then all the way back to the left. This time I follow him to the right and but only cut back to the middle lane. I am only about one and a half car lengths behind.

Again we hit some traffic and he cuts all the way to the right, slowing down. I see him get off at exit 57 and as I was driving by, I saw at least two others in the car with the driver.

The Accord wasn't ricey at all. But my brother and I were grinning all the way out to exit 63. Even though I didn't beat him, I showed him that Maxima's ain't no push-overs to no Hon-duhs.
Old 11-12-2000, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by clee130
I was driving my brother back to school at exit 63 out on Long Island...
he goes to stony brook i suppose.
Old 11-12-2000, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by WoodEar
Originally posted by clee130
I was driving my brother back to school at exit 63 out on Long Island...
he goes to stony brook i suppose.
yep
Old 11-13-2000, 07:19 AM

Don't you hate it when people "cheat?" I don't want to go into a long story, but I was playing with a Ford Taurus(not newest model, but one before.) Anyway, we were both weaving in and out of traffic, but I had the advantage. He couldn't keep up, then I hit traffic, and had to slow down. He hit the same traffic, but instead of slowing down, he cuts onto the shoulder to get away from me. I laughed, and said to myself, "cheater." I could done the same thing, but decided not to. Oh well...I thought he was going to play fair.