General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Painting my foglights amber.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 12:07 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Last night I ordered some amber translucent paint for my foglights. It's the same style paint I used to slightly smoke out my taillights which has held up extremely well. I'm gonna lightly "amberize" my fogs to give them the same appearance that the GS400s have with thier fogs. Plus, it will give my Max a little more color than just black (super black, deep window tint, shaved emblems, black painted front nissan emblem, smoked out tallights) not mention the lights will perform the duty of real foglights. I'm just wondering if I should paint the inside or outside of the lense. I don't know hot it really get inside the lense. I might have to do both sides a little. I'll let you guys know how it turns out and hopefully have some crappy pics up by thrusday or friday.

Dave
Old 11-13-2000, 12:17 PM

Sounds ok..

At first I thought you said you were gonna paint the bulbs and I was like "errr bad". But it sounds like everything should work the way you wanted it to. You may find the amber is more orange than yellow which you might not like but hey, I don't think it's that expensive a part. Do one first before you do both and decide wither you like it or not. If it sucks, then you only have to replace one =)

Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-13-2000, 12:36 PM
Carl

I was pondering the idea of doing something similar, but I was thinking of painting the reflector inside the fog housing w/ transparent yellow paint. But there were some things I was worried about: bulb heat burning away the paint, UV rays causing the paint to fade, and the details of disassembling the fog unit itself (and reassembly to avoid water leakage).

Keep us posted.

Old 11-13-2000, 01:37 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

I don't think it's a good idea>>>

for all of the reasons above...

If it's to help you see in foul weather conditions... try the PIAA ION CRYSTAL H3... i used to have them before... It does increase visibility in those situations and projects a yellowish tint to the ground... The foglights appear bluish white at certain angles to oncoming traffic... a bonus... This is with the 97+ foglights...

If you are set on ORANGE... i've heard of people using the disco light films used at night clubs... too much trouble IMHO... Good luck...
Old 11-13-2000, 02:39 PM

Ion Crystals

I also have the PIAA Ion Crystals, and they perform beautifully...
Old 11-13-2000, 06:13 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I meant yellow a tint. The paint is specific for headlamps and I believe it will work pretty good even on the outside of the lens even standing up to rocks, sand, and rain. The reason I say this is because my buddy slightly tinted his headlamps with the paint I used for my taillights and it has lasted over 5 months with no problems. I don't think there will be any real problems with the paint.

Dave
Old 11-13-2000, 06:45 PM
Carl

What brand of paint is this?

(For future reference should I feel compelled to be creative).

Old 11-13-2000, 07:15 PM

Just get amber bulbs -->

Why are you painting it? No matter how thin the coat, the paint will decrease light output from your fogs. Booker must have been thinking of just this type of situation when he wrote his story about Delio and his "HID" lights.

Why not just get new yellow bulbs? Try Hella YellowStars, 55w H3.

Old 11-14-2000, 08:10 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The paint is straight from Japan and sold at http://www.autodynamic.com

I've already got slightly brighter bulbs in the foglight housings. I really don't think much of the lighting is gonna get lost in the paint because the paint is translucent. The reason I say this is because my rear taillights are smoked out with the same paint quite darkly (very much like the RX7 TT stock taillights) and nearly all the light shows thru when the lights are on. JustinMC, BryanH, and AlexKC have all seen my smoked out tails and believe nearly all the light still shows thru. There are plenty of other colored foglight lenses on the market and they project plenty of light. Remember, I'm not going with a super thick coat of yellow paint. It's gonna be slightly yellow like they are on the GS400. After I paint the lenses I'm also gonna coat the outside with a very thin coat of sealer. My lights are already very bright. I'm consistently getting flashed for running my brights and all I've got is Cool Blue Sylvanias and bright white fogs.

Dave
Old 12-28-2003, 10:19 PM
OG :)

Dave - How much was light output affected after painting the fogs?
Old 12-29-2003, 08:28 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by Kenneth
Dave - How much was light output affected after painting the fogs?
I pulled the paint off over 2 years ago, but the paint didn't affect light output. The fogs will light up everything with a yellowish hue.

Dave