General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Getting Pre-Cats from Junk Yard- Against the Law?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:42 AM

Getting Pre-Cats from Junk Yard- Against the Law?

Anyone hear of this? I was trying to get the 2 pre cats for a 5.5 gen and was just told from junk yard it is a law possible federal they cannot sell any catalytic converter second hand??

He said sometimes they get away with selling the whole exhaust system as a work around
Old 05-06-2015, 08:19 PM

I fought the law, and the law won.

Yep, definitely heard of this.

Looked into a few things a while back when i may or may not have *coughguttedmyprecatscough* but its definitely illegal. Speaking of which i just passed my first OBD style etest with just the main cat. (as well as good timing to not have p0300 trigger after readiness monitors ready)

Why are you looking for precats? there are aftermarkets available if necessity dictates.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 PM

Yes it's illegal.

F8king with the emissions parts of the car is illegal in Canada/ Ontario

I think headers are grey or illegal too but not going to find out

Last edited by george__; 05-06-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:53 PM

Headers

.....but not going to find out
Headers involve removal of precats. Its even illegal to change it out unless damaged.

Protection Act (EPA) of Ontario: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/R...h/980361_e.htm

Catalytic Converters

5. (1) No person shall use leaded gasoline as a fuel to operate a motor vehicle manufactured with a catalytic converter. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 5 (1).

(2) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor vehicle with a catalytic converter if leaded gasoline has ever been used as a fuel in the motor vehicle until the catalytic converter has been repaired or replaced. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 5 (2).

(3) If a motor or motor vehicle is manufactured with a catalytic converter, no person shall alter or cause or permit the alteration of the motor or motor vehicle in a manner that permits exhaust emissions to bypass the catalytic converter. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 4.

(4) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor or motor vehicle that was manufactured with a catalytic converter if the catalytic converter, or any replacement for the catalytic converter,

(a) is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended; or

(b) is disconnected, removed or otherwise altered so that it is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 4.
#3 is what you dont want to read!

Last edited by Stick'N'Move; 05-06-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 PM

^
Oh well
Old 05-06-2015, 09:41 PM

Funny.

You can legally buy all the ingredients to make meth, but it's illegal to turn them into meth. Gov't gives you more freedom with that than this.

Guess if you want extra pre-cats to gut, gotta spend more money to be able to break the law!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
Funny.

You can legally buy all the ingredients to make meth, but it's illegal to turn them into meth. Gov't gives you more freedom with that than this.

Guess if you want extra pre-cats to gut, gotta spend more money to be able to break the law!
Ew meth?

Smoke some weed instead man... munchies is a headache though
Old 05-07-2015, 04:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Buy used pre-cats from a 5.5 gen, the one's with the reputation of the disintegrating pre-cats?? Whoah man, you are just like walking straight into a disaster.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:38 AM

Wear a respirator when gutting, those particles in the air may damage your body
Old 05-07-2015, 06:06 AM

^ Speaking from experience I see????? Maybe that explains your...... "Behavior"

Since the 70's (I think it was like 77 or 76, I have to ask the OG's @ my job) it's been illegal to sell used, non re-certified catalytic converters in the U.S.

Last edited by aackshun; 05-07-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Buy used pre-cats from a 5.5 gen, the one's with the reputation of the disintegrating pre-cats?? Whoah man, you are just like walking straight into a disaster.
How can I buy used pre-cats??? I tried the junk yard to no avail obviously
Originally Posted by Stick'N'Move
Yep, definitely heard of this.

Looked into a few things a while back when i may or may not have *coughguttedmyprecatscough* but its definitely illegal. Speaking of which i just passed my first OBD style etest with just the main cat. (as well as good timing to not have p0300 trigger after readiness monitors ready)

Why are you looking for precats? there are aftermarkets available if necessity dictates.
I am looking for precats for this plan. Buy used, gut them on my own time, hand newly gutted ones with rest of exhaust parts for a shop to install, take my old precats and either sell or gut them and sell.

This decreases the down time as the plan is now. Take to shop with all exhaust minus precats, have them hand me precats and pause the whole process (since they wont do illegal part), gut them under a tight a$$ deadline as I don't want my daily driver out of commission longer than necessary, so i would have to gut essentially in one work night and then try to return gutted next morning.

Any ideas u guys have would be great. It seems like quite a task to try to gut both in one evening. Especially not even having all the tools and experience necessary to expedite the process. Only tools I know of now are carbide drill bits, and 18" wood drill bits......

Here are two quotes that sounds best to someone doing it themselves. everyone else has been vauge on the actual tools and actual process of gutting as far as I can research at the moment. More input needed from those who have gone through with it hint hint.

Originally Posted by ateick
I used a 18" wood drill bit that is used for drilling through walls for phone/cable installers. I used it over and over in an overlapping pattern that got most of the stuff out (even the hard material in one of the cats was like butter with this thing). Once most was gone I got in there with a long chisel. Made it easy and simple. 30 minutes each. Don't forget a mask!
Originally Posted by uptownsamcv
I gutted all 3 on my 02. take them all out and save the gaskets so you can find the right ones. I had a hell of a time finding the right exhaust gaskets for the cats at the parts stores.

once you have them out just toss the shields away but put the small bolts back in where the holes go all the way through.

main cat and front cat are easy. the one for the rear bank took hours, it will wear you out. I had to keep hammering my ball joint puller into the element and take out chunks at a time. it must be 5-6 inch thick element.

mine wasn't even bad I just didn't want to risk a clog in the future. it was the first thing I did when I got my maxima 2 years ago.

I'm still running stock exhaust so you cant tell I have gutted cats.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So in theory, a shop can refuse to install aftermarket headers?
Old 05-07-2015, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by TDotMax
So in theory, a shop can refuse to install aftermarket headers?
If they have plenty of income coming in, why not?

A shop can refuse to change your air filter if they wanted to.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
How can I buy used pre-cats??? I tried the junk yard to no avail obviously

I am looking for precats for this plan. Buy used, gut them on my own time, hand newly gutted ones with rest of exhaust parts for a shop to install, take my old precats and either sell or gut them and sell.
How soon are you looking to buy? I just recently bought my Maxima (hence the recent join date and first post) and already have a set of headers that I plan to install in the next month or so. I was going to sell my precats to the scrap yard but I could sell them to you if you have a use for them. PM me and we can discuss further if you're interested. Yea, I know, epic first post :P
Old 05-07-2015, 08:52 PM

It seems like quite a task to try to gut both in one evening. Especially not even having all the tools and experience necessary to expedite the process.
Just the gutting part alone is not all that bad if you have the right method.

......Made it easy and simple. 30 minutes each. Don't forget a mask!
^^ The post you quoted regarding the 18" drill bit states this. That post is actually the advise i used as a guideline when i did mine, but since i already had an extension bit, i just bought a regular carbide spade bit and combined them. Not sure how much those 18" run, but my experience is bits like that arent cheap. An extension and regular hex bottom bit might save a couple bucks, plus you have an extension for future uses.

......even the hard material in one of the cats was like butter with this thing
This was my experience as well. Drill with good torque and a spade bit, ate through it easily. I would ask at least one other who used a bit on the rear cat if it was as easy for them. Reason i question my experience on it is my rear precat was actually welded to my b-pipe instead of bolted, which makes me question if previous owner had just welded as a repair, or maybe put in precat from an Altima or something that may have had different catalyst material. It was too easy compared to all the struggling i had read about others having with it.

If you are set up with a long spade bit, good drill with a second battery to be safe, a long flat screwdriver or chisel and hammer, and cleaning chemical ( i used lacquer thinner) doing it in one evening shouldnt be that bad as long as you find a shop willing to pause the project.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Stick'N'Move
Just the gutting part alone is not all that bad if you have the right method.

^^ The post you quoted regarding the 18" drill bit states this. That post is actually the advise i used as a guideline when i did mine, but since i already had an extension bit, i just bought a regular carbide spade bit and combined them. Not sure how much those 18" run, but my experience is bits like that arent cheap. An extension and regular hex bottom bit might save a couple bucks, plus you have an extension for future uses.

This was my experience as well. Drill with good torque and a spade bit, ate through it easily. I would ask at least one other who used a bit on the rear cat if it was as easy for them. Reason i question my experience on it is my rear precat was actually welded to my b-pipe instead of bolted, which makes me question if previous owner had just welded as a repair, or maybe put in precat from an Altima or something that may have had different catalyst material. It was too easy compared to all the struggling i had read about others having with it.

If you are set up with a long spade bit, good drill with a second battery to be safe, a long flat screwdriver or chisel and hammer, and cleaning chemical ( i used lacquer thinner) doing it in one evening shouldnt be that bad as long as you find a shop willing to pause the project.
Thanks man this helps alot!!! more input , feedback, experiences the better.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:51 PM

I have heard some parts of the country in certain states that won't allow you get junkyard parts which is not legal for resale. but where I am at it's legal since reading this post, I had to check it out with my local salvage yard and they do allow you buy the header, cat converters.