General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2k Max...vs...Supra....vs....Ford Lightning (Roadkill)...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 05:51 AM

ok

whoever said a SC max with bolt on's can't keep up with a lightening is wrong..

First of all lightening = RWD.. put that much power to the front wheels and the truck won't make it out of the driveway....

Yes a 5-spd max with an SC and bolt on's is very capable of Low 13's.... even with street tires.. just no one is that good of a driver to have done it ..

BUT ..
My 4DSC: Kool .. i see an SC in the near future.. now this is a guy to look out for !!!!!!!
When he says 12's by next season he means it ..!!!
and he's got the driving skills to back it up.

As for maxima's not meant for drag racing.. your right.. but ..it's all for fun. i didn't buy my max to drag it.. but let's be real i beat on the car a lot worse everyday then when i drag it.. the drag strip is being nice to the car
besides i only drag it when i get enuff mods to expect a difference in time slip's

Ant
Old 11-15-2000, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by DOM
You know, I look at that site(can't remember which one)which has the race stories in it. A lot of the stories are ones of Hundai Exel's beating GT's. It is not going to happen! This thread is starting to look like the car war site. I do not think that a Maxima cannot beat any car that is V8 and close to the Maxima's weight. Do you know why? The max is a 6 and the others are 8. I drove next to a 5.0 white trash mobile on the freeway and he pulled away from me so fast. There was no way I could have pulled away the same as him. I did not race because I like my Max power for me, not for anyone else (plus I'm a sore loser).
I do like to fantasize about being the underdog car like all of you 18 year olds and dream about beating a faster car, but a Ford Lightning? No way.
For the great Maxima Drivers--
How does a 222hp Maxima beat an old 5.0 302hp rear wheel stang? I know you will say mods but after my Y pipe and Stillen intake, it still doesn't make that much of a difference.
Get those numbers right, i can bet my max that it doesnt push that power. DYNOED it. So your going to tell me i cant bea a auto 5.slow? I have. At e-town there were Z28s and 5.0's running low 15's and yes high 14's. THats maybe stock or some basic bolt ons. Well look at MY4DSC, he runs high 14's stock. SO your telling me that you would beat a DSM in your max? Yes i do believe in there is no replacement for displacement but face the facts V8s can be beat. Maybe not by a MAxima but it has and can be done.
Old 11-15-2000, 07:03 AM

Re: ok

Originally posted by Ant95se
whoever said a SC max with bolt on's can't keep up with a lightening is wrong..

First of all lightening = RWD.. put that much power to the front wheels and the truck won't make it out of the driveway....

Yes a 5-spd max with an SC and bolt on's is very capable of Low 13's.... even with street tires.. just no one is that good of a driver to have done it ..

BUT ..
My 4DSC: Kool .. i see an SC in the near future.. now this is a guy to look out for !!!!!!!
When he says 12's by next season he means it ..!!!
and he's got the driving skills to back it up.

As for maxima's not meant for drag racing.. your right.. but ..it's all for fun. i didn't buy my max to drag it.. but let's be real i beat on the car a lot worse everyday then when i drag it.. the drag strip is being nice to the car
besides i only drag it when i get enuff mods to expect a difference in time slip's

Ant
Damn straight. MY4DSC will put his money where his mouth is. I wont be shocked if he ended up with the fastest 5th gen. Show em whats up? Obviously they havent met you like so of us did. Hey Detective, hook me up with a badge!
Old 11-15-2000, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by doug
did he really say a v6 can't beat a v8? hmm... hey.. ask woodear why hey won't race me in his GS400 even thought my max is bone stock?
why?
because i am not the type to lower myself to your level, to waste my time to prove a point that's accepted by anyone with a brain.

i can say i will challenge any 4th gen here with my stock auto civic. some people will actually be anxious to race me and beat me to prove they are faster even they already know that, for example peopel like you others will just laugh at me and say whatever believe what you want to believe.

btw, my gs400 ran 14.6, how about you?
Old 11-15-2000, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Synki
At e-town there were Z28s and 5.0's running low 15's and yes high 14's...[/I]
i don't know about what 5.0, but I have seen Z28(the V8 right) runs mid 13's easily.
i am sure there are few screwed up on track, just like we have a member turned out a 20's slip for max but in general they are fast that's a fact can't be denied.
you can't always compare the good max times that's not obtainable by everyone(like 14.6 by jeff k. and 14.8 stock manual 5th gen) to the crappy times those supposely faster car posted.

bottom line is:
hi 13's with SC+bolt-on, i believe.
low 13's with SC+bolt-on, i doubt but possible.
12's with SC+bolt-on, i don't believe.

Old 11-15-2000, 10:07 AM

so racing me is lowering yourself to my level? that hurts...
its still doesn't explain why your being *****
it's not racing you is lowering myself, it's more of doing a pointless thing is lowering myself.
if you run 14.6, then at least you stand a chance to best me, then i will race, before that it's just wasting time.

i mean, every 10sec cars in the country prolly want to challenge vinny and Prasiley's 8sec supra, and if they have to grant everyone's wish, they will be busy all year long. and they are ***** if they don't race them?
Old 11-15-2000, 10:09 AM

Didn't sleeper ran 13.3 with SC and bolt ons

I think he has 5-speed right?

Also, I remember a guy name CLIMAX from Andi's BBS, he ran I think high 12s, but I think he has SC and NOS, I might be wrong.

Yeah front wheel drive with that much power will be hard to control. Just imagine if Max was RWD. he he

Also Woodear, is you M-Roadster moded. What does it ran?
My friend has a M-couple and I beat him of the line in my 95 SE 5-speed a while back. he he , he couldn't see anything because I left so much white smoke from spinning my tires .

[Edited by Dany on 11-15-2000 at 12:13 PM]
Old 11-15-2000, 10:10 AM

Some dealer's are selling 2000 Lightnings for $27,000. And everyone knows that some Maxima's now sell for over $30,000. The Lightning is heavy... close to 4000 pounds, but that 450 ft lbs. of torque will get it moving. More than double the Maxima's torque. The interior on it is beautiful. Bucket seats, leather, the whole nine. Awesome truck... will kick most asses, but very impractical. Now if they would put that engine in a special edition Explorer. Like the GMC Typhoon type of vehicle.

Originally posted by Black VQ
Originally posted by DOM
How much does the lightning cost? Does the truck weigh that much?
More than a Max. Yes. [/I]
Old 11-15-2000, 10:19 AM

Now Boys

Ok let me step in here...

Doug there is no need to race woodear... he knows how fast his car is .. like me .. i know how fast my car is so there's no need for me to run again ..
Me vs. Doug would be close..

I speak the truth i don't favor anyone..and thats how i see it ..

Woodear: Maxima on street tires with SC and Bolt on's is very capable of LOW 13's...
To get into 12's takes crazy drivin skills.... BUT .. not impossible...
With Slicks .. 12's are a LOT easier

With a VQ30DE-TT motor
yes Twin Turbo ..... muhahahahaha and slicks.. i don't think 10's would be out of the question but thats another story

Ant
Old 11-15-2000, 10:28 AM

Re: Didn't sleeper ran 13.3 with SC and bolt ons

Originally posted by Dany
I think he has 5-speed right?

Also, I remember a guy name CLIMAX from Andi's BBS, he ran I think high 12s, but I think he has SC and NOS, I might be wrong.

Yeah front wheel drive with that much power will be hard to control. Just imagine if Max was RWD. he he

Also Woodear, is you M-Roadster moded. What does it ran?
My friend has a M-couple and I beat him of the line in my 95 SE 5-speed a while back. he he , he couldn't see anything because I left so much white smoke from spinning my tires .

yeah intake/exhaust/software. never ran it, i can't clear head room with a helmet, so prolly never gonna run
i have seen other's time anywhere for 13.62 to 14.12, modded or stock. driven correctly, you can't take them with a NA max

[Edited by Dany on 11-15-2000 at 12:13 PM]
Old 11-15-2000, 10:31 AM

Re: Now Boys

Originally posted by Ant95se
Woodear: Maxima on street tires with SC and Bolt on's is very capable of LOW 13's...
To get into 12's takes crazy drivin skills.... BUT .. not impossible...
With Slicks .. 12's are a LOT easier
i didn't say low 13's is impossible, i still wait for them to step up and speak for themselves, like steve in chicago and sleeper etc, let me know if you guys ran low 13's with street tires. before that, i can't just rely on what other say, you know
now for 12's, it's not just driving skill, skill can only get you so far. for example jee k ran 14.3, do you think skill alone can get him into 12's? i don't think so. you definitely need slicks to do that.
Old 11-15-2000, 01:45 PM

Re: Re: Now Boys

I ran 13.59 @ 102.4 mph with stock rims/tires. When the 225 50 16" nittos(drag radial) go on I'll expect a litte more.
Old 11-15-2000, 05:58 PM
My 4DSC

uhhhhh....

Originally posted by DOM
You guys are just talking up your cars. There is no way a modded 3.0 V6 supercharged can beat a 5.4 V8 supercharged. Come on!! Be realistic!! I went to the dealership of Ford and they said that the lightning goes faster than the GT's. How much does the lightning cost? Does the truck weigh that much?

I have a question for you guys? Why would anyone buy a FORD truck with no room, expensive price tag, and 10 mpg if they can mod a Maxima to do just about the same times?
I love my Maxima and it is the best car, but please, lets keep it real. I'm sure I'll probably hear some stories about Maximas vs. Vipers or Porsche 911 turbos.
hey bro...
what about a 1.6L SOHC civic hanging with a 5.4 V8 supercharged Lightning? Actually...how about the civic winning by over 2 seconds in the 1/4 mi?
i put a 96 Civic coupe into the mid 11's...
and that car ran high 16's stock!
i dont think that it will be too hard to put my Maxima into the 12's cuz it ran 14's STOCK!

Old 11-15-2000, 06:01 PM
My 4DSC

hahaha...

Originally posted by TexMaximum
What old 5.0 non-modified stang has 305HP? Where do you get your numbers?

Futhermore, I know of plenty of v8 cars the Maxima can take out with light mods and thats with an automatic! I would only hope for even better result in a 5spd.

I can take out old stangs all day, and also raced several mid 90's V-8 T birds. No problem there. Automatic v8 sport dekotas and my friend's 5.9 RT is also a win for the Maxima, though close with the RT. 305 powered 3rd gen v8 camaros and firebirds are also no problem.

To say you can't beat something in a v6 because the other car is a v8 is silly. I guess we can all go out and thrash the s2000 as its only a 4cyl? I think not. There are many factors.

Im not a dreamer, and do own a 355 TPI IROC Z for real races that is moded. Now true, I don't think it will be cake to get the L F150 with just a SC, and some people here do talk up their cars.
DOM is a newbie...he will learn.

Old 11-15-2000, 06:07 PM
My 4DSC

Re: Re: ok

Damn straight. MY4DSC will put his money where his mouth is. I wont be shocked if he ended up with the fastest 5th gen. Show em whats up? Obviously they havent met you like so of us did. Hey Detective, hook me up with a badge!
hehe...nah...the title i'm going for is...
"fastest Maxima"...period.
i'm going after Jamie Farrer's 12.80.
he can have the "worlds fastest sentra" title.
but i WILL steal his Maxima title...mark my words.

hahaha...you can get a detectives badge anywhere...
BTW: i don't work for the government...
i work for a private company investigating white-collar crime...
i "WAS" a police officer for Lakewood Township but got injured so i had to resign.

Old 11-15-2000, 06:33 PM

the new z28s (98-01) will run mid 13's all day, bone stock. This is a true statement. They are also around 305-315HP. Stangs don't use the 5.0 anymore, 93 or so was the last of them, they have the 4.6 DOHC now. They are not as quick as the z28. A new Z is still slighlty faster then the new Cobra(high 13s) and the Cobra can't even touch the SS (low 13s)

The 5.0 was fast with basic mods, better then most 4.6 GTs. If you have good basic mods, a Maxima can get the 4.6 GT before the silly platic style change(99) if its autmatic. With the stang redesign came a few more HP and engine upgrades plus an ind. rear. You can also get pre 86 5.0s if they are mostly stock and automatic.

So much for the pony wars, just a little tad bit info if your going to try and run them.

[Edited by TexMaximum on 11-16-2000 at 01:13 AM]
Old 11-15-2000, 08:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Now Boys

Originally posted by SteveChicagoSC
I ran 13.59 @ 102.4 mph with stock rims/tires. When the 225 50 16" nittos(drag radial) go on I'll expect a litte more.
so doug, 13.59 is your definition of *low* 13's??
Old 11-16-2000, 04:29 PM
My 4DSC

damn...

didnt think a crappy roadkill story would generate such an interest....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
read 765 times with 65 responses.
who da thunk it?

new world record?

Old 11-16-2000, 06:33 PM
is invisible

I dunno about that one yet...

Originally posted by My 4DSC
didnt think a crappy roadkill story would generate such an interest....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
who da thunk it?

new world record?
Woodear tends to be associated with the high view/high reply posts.
Old 11-16-2000, 07:01 PM
DOM

Re: uhhhhh....

Prove it to me then!! I believe that somehow you guys can mod a Maxima to be faster. But where can you get the aftermarket parts for our car within a reasonable price range? If you ever got it to go that fast, would it still be as reliable? Somebody explain to me how to make the Maxima fast enough to beat a Lightning without changing the Maxima into a track only car? I am guessing a supermodded Maxima would be less reliable than a crappy Lightning
Old 11-16-2000, 07:59 PM
steveyang

Originally posted by My 4DSC
who da thunk it?

new world record?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
that's why we need a roadkill/racing section in this forum! PEACE

Old 11-16-2000, 09:07 PM

Re: Re: uhhhhh....

Originally posted by DOM
Prove it to me then!! I believe that somehow you guys can mod a Maxima to be faster. But where can you get the aftermarket parts for our car within a reasonable price range? If you ever got it to go that fast, would it still be as reliable? Somebody explain to me how to make the Maxima fast enough to beat a Lightning without changing the Maxima into a track only car? I am guessing a supermodded Maxima would be less reliable than a crappy Lightning
My guess...would be the following.
Supercharger, UDP, Customs CAI, Y-pipe, B-pipe, Either a R/T cat or Straight Pipe, New Clutch or VB Mod, High Flow fuel pump, 300zx injectors, Smaller S/C pulley (for higher boost), Reprogramed ECU, Ignition, NOS (if even needed), Ported Intake & Exhaust Manifold, and a damn good driver. Let me know if i left something out which i know i did. You can make it go damn fast and still handle.. remember we arent driving a muscle car. Add FSTB, RSTB, RSB, Lowering Springs, Adj. Shocks and the car can pull almost .9g's if not over. This is just my opinion.
Old 11-16-2000, 09:49 PM

Re: Re: uhhhhh....

Originally posted by DOM
don't worry about what he says, people usually do alot of talking, only time slip speaking for itself.
it's really not easy to beat a 12.8, with a reasonable budget.
Old 11-17-2000, 12:17 AM
DOM

Hey ease up on me! I am very new to this. It's my first new car! I do not have very much knowledge about cars. But when I think about it, this post does not make very much sense. Why doesn't anyone get a 12.8 and tell me what mods were done to the car. Do not include NOS. That is something that is only for the track. What about real life driving? Nobody really answered my question on if the Maxima would still be reliable with all those mods.
I always heard from mechanics that Supercharging or NOS is really bad for the car. I just don't understand turning a Maxima into a race car. If you wanted a race car, why didn't you buy a little sports car?
I don't think I would ever make mods for my Maxima that would dramatically cut the life of my car. I know that any car can be modded to be superfast, but what good is it if it breaks down all the time and can't be a daily driven car?
I do not want to get on anyone's bad side. Just explain it to me.
Old 11-17-2000, 12:24 AM
DOM

5.0 mustang

I don't get it. The 5.0 stang must have at least 250hp and probably has a lot of torque in a V8. Somebody explain to me how a max can beat a 5.0 stang. Help me understand!!
Old 11-17-2000, 02:28 AM

Lets see, A 5.0 Rustang, I mean Mustang had as little as 180 HP or less to about 220HP for better years. They didn't get fast tell the late 80's and early 90's with better rear ends and nice gear ratios. Then you have its weight, sorry old school ford fox body engineering and an auto tranny in most.

Slight mods will push most maxs beyond 200HP and in your case you already have 222HP to start with in your y2k. Of course the V8 does have more torque, but with decent tires you should have better traction and slighlty less weight, not to mention more upper end passing power.

Plenty of 5.0s to beat are available on the street. Some 4.6 are also easy.

However here is where you run into problems. A 5.0 responds to mods VERY VERY well for a small block v8. This is what makes the 302 Ford 5.0 so popular not to mention bottom end grunt. Plus the aftermarket support is good from them. So if it doesn’t look stock or old, you don’t stand a chance in most cases, same if it’s a manual with a decent driver. Furthermore, if it’s an LX 5.0 with a manual, these are fast. The have the same power as the GT but none of the extra weight and stupid plastic molding.

So the point is, there are many v8s and mustangs you can beat without much of a sweat, and some you can not unless you have serious mods. However, your v6, is a work of art, and can take out several and various pushrod and outdated v8s, and more so when matched with the 5spd. So don't say you can't win because its a v8. There are plenty of slow a$$ v8 cars.

A N/A V8 you will NOT beat, is a 98 and up z28 or firebird formula. You would even be pressing your luck if you had the stillen SC. Basically the Corvette motor with slightly degraded heads.
Old 11-17-2000, 07:06 AM

Doug you have a bad attitude son...#;>) n/m

you talk a lot of s h i t for someone who:

a is very new to this and its his first real car, much less first maxima

b just voided his warrantee on his brand new car with that Y-Pipe and Stillen Intake

why would you buy such mods? if you wanted yoru car to go faster than stock.. you should have bought a car that went faster than a stock maxima thus not voiding your warrantee

hey... wait till you start sweating all over your ***** when you bring that car in for emmisions testing

all these newbies talk all this game and don't know any thing..

thank you have a nice day
Originally posted by DOM
Hey ease up on me! I am very new to this. It's my first new car! I do not have very much knowledge about cars. But when I think about it, this post does not make very much sense. Why doesn't anyone get a 12.8 and tell me what mods were done to the car. Do not include NOS. That is something that is only for the track. What about real life driving? Nobody really answered my question on if the Maxima would still be reliable with all those mods.
I always heard from mechanics that Supercharging or NOS is really bad for the car. I just don't understand turning a Maxima into a race car. If you wanted a race car, why didn't you buy a little sports car?

I don't think I would ever make mods for my Maxima that would dramatically cut the life of my car. I know that any car can be modded to be superfast, but what good is it if it breaks down all the time and can't be a daily driven car?
I do not want to get on anyone's bad side. Just explain it to me.
Old 11-17-2000, 06:32 PM
My 4DSC

I just got smoked..........AGAIN!

Didn't want to start up a whole new thread so here's tonight sob story.

Coming home from work tonight (Friday) @ 8:45 PM.
Southbound on the Garden State Parkway near exit 105.
I pull beside a GORGEOUS brand new bright blue Audi (model unknown) with exhaust (and who knows whatelse).
I was just cruising and he takes off and starts weaving thru traffic (must've seen my tint & rims?)
So i let him go...and he's WAAAY up in front of me know.
Then i think....ahhhh...lemme f*** with him a lil'.
So i slowly catch up to him by like exit 100.
I guess he remembers my headlights so he nails it again.
This time i too nail it....and we're off.
65---75----85----95----105---115----125-----130mph.
By 130mph he had about 10 car lengths on me.
And of course he flashes his hazards to let me know he was victorious and we slow down and cruise until I break off at exit 98.

SNIFF. SNIFF.