General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

O.K. NEED HELP FROM ANYBODY PLEASE READ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 06:26 PM

My car was running fine up to a couple of days ago. I changed my plugs just cause I was running NOS. I put new plugs in (non Plat) the car ran like xhit, way rich, I could not even use the NOS. I changed the plugs again tonight, back to the plat. Now the car runs worse. If I just let it idle, it runs o.k. than it misses, like this
----^----^----^ every time. The car ran fine before I messed with the plugs. Could it just happen that one of my o2 are bad, or the cat is bad. I had dark red plugs from running 104 octane boost in the car. So that gives me the idea that an o2 or something is going bad. I am rich at half throttle. But how would the motor jump around like that. Any help would be GRREEAATTT...
Old 11-13-2000, 06:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

Maybe one of your coil paks just bit the dust??
Old 11-13-2000, 07:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check the gaps of the spark plug >>>>>

you may have the gap to far apart, also you might try to gap them closer together, if the gap is too far apart it could cause the car to miss and stutter. Also the 104 octane boost should be fine for your car they claim that it will not harm your O2 sensors, the brown or red coloring is normal for using the octane boost. Good Luck !!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2000, 07:48 PM

Update:

I think I have narrowed it down to an vacume leak SOMEWHERE. Now I have a check engine light. The simptons the car has is "maybe" due to a vacume leak. Ruff and jumping idle, the plugs are black and the tip is white. The air/fuel meter is rich most of the time. So I will just have to take it somewhere tomarrow..
Old 11-13-2000, 11:43 PM
mrloyd

play doctor

the best way to find a possible vaccum leak is to get a 3foot piece if gas line, put one end to ear and move other end around till you hear the hiss from the leak. You can use this trick to figure out most engine noises or diagnose alot of stuff. Don't spend 60 bucks to have some shmuck to replace a $1 hose.

Old 11-14-2000, 05:22 AM
95MAXSE5S

A 40 shot making a 1.14 and 6 mile an hour difference?! You miss a couple shifts on the dry run or what? I just don't see it. I don't know about the vac thing, but I know on intercooler tubes on my XR7 you can spray starter fluid on them and when you hit the leak idle will go crazy. Just an idea.

[Edited by 95MAXSE5S on 11-14-2000 at 07:25 AM]

Old 11-14-2000, 06:50 AM

3 things,

1 U pritty much eliminated, which would be a bad plug in the set.
2 U got a bad spark Plug cable
3 U got a Vacume leak.

what U hear is the car missing. if its a cable this is what U do. pull each plug wire out one at a time with the engine running and see if the cars behavior changes while Idle, and make sure the cable is fireing. <font size=4>DONOT POINT THE CABLE TOWARDS U OR ANY FUEL LINES, OR IT'LL SHOCK U SOO HARD YOUR *** WILL SHUT FOR LIFE </font> U can see sparks come out of the cable and that will tell U the cable is good, if the only thing U did was replace plugs then these things are pritty much all that can go wrong, Now if the car started to miss on its own then U have oil going in the cylinder walls and that means U gotta bore out the pistons and get new rings Plan to spend some money if thats the case.
Old 11-14-2000, 11:26 AM
Eman97SE

Originally posted by PIONEER
3 things,

1 U pritty much eliminated, which would be a bad plug in the set.
2 U got a bad spark Plug cable
3 U got a Vacume leak.

what U hear is the car missing. if its a cable this is what U do. pull each plug wire out one at a time with the engine running and see if the cars behavior changes while Idle, and make sure the cable is fireing. <font size=4>DONOT POINT THE CABLE TOWARDS U OR ANY FUEL LINES, OR IT'LL SHOCK U SOO HARD YOUR *** WILL SHUT FOR LIFE </font> U can see sparks come out of the cable and that will tell U the cable is good, if the only thing U did was replace plugs then these things are pritty much all that can go wrong, Now if the car started to miss on its own then U have oil going in the cylinder walls and that means U gotta bore out the pistons and get new rings Plan to spend some money if thats the case.
Don't **** on it either, or your *** won't be the only thing shut for life. Sorry, I know it's no help, but couldn't resist!