General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2003 maxima wont start battery keeps?draining with car not even on

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 12:14 PM

2003 maxima wont start battery keeps?draining with car not even on

I have an 03 maxima i was sitting at a light and all of my dash lights came on and car died. It started and sputtered into parking lot the pedal felt like it wasnt getting gas. Towed it home and im on my 3rd battery because something keeps draing them. Im leary to even hook this new one up but without power i cant find the problem. When it does have power the red security light by the clock blinks im at a loss and the car really isnt worth paying alot of money at a shop.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Re-charge your battery. Then start the car and check the voltage of the battery at idle, then under load (turn headlights on, AC on full blast etc). If the voltage drops with everything turned on, then more than likely your alternator is toast.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Penny Rae Brunson
I have an 03 maxima i was sitting at a light and all of my dash lights came on and car died. It started and sputtered into parking lot the pedal felt like it wasnt getting gas. Towed it home and im on my 3rd battery because something keeps draing them. Im leary to even hook this new one up but without power i cant find the problem. When it does have power the red security light by the clock blinks im at a loss and the car really isnt worth paying alot of money at a shop.
i have another batter the car turns over but will not start
Old 01-26-2021, 05:19 PM
Administrator

i have another batter the car turns over but will not start
Is the security light on? You may have now immobilized the vehicle.

Check the voltage of your other battery that you just installed. It may not be enough to start the car.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Is the security light on? You may have now immobilized the vehicle.

Check the voltage of your other battery that you just installed. It may not be enough to start the car.
with the new battery its higher voltage than the other two and yes the red security light is on by the clock on the dash. So how do i mobilize the car again? Does the system shut everything down on the car? It just turns over but doesnt start so i unhook the battery so it doesnt drain like the other two. This is so baffling i have never had a car do this.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Hopefully you have a second ignition key. Try it and see if you can undo the car being immobilized. If the red security light continues to stay on, unfortunately only the dealer or a really good locksmith with the right tools/OBDII reader/writer can rep-program the keys/ECU so it's no longer immobilized.

When a car is immobilized, I believe it prevents the fuel injectors from firing, but everything else works as it should. Hence why it tries to start but won't actually turn over. No fuel.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:10 PM

Hopefully you have a second ignition key. Try it and see if you can undo the car being immobilized. If the red security light continues to stay on, unfortunately only the dealer or a really good locksmith with the right tools/OBDII reader/writer can rep-program the keys/ECU so it's no longer immobilized.

When a car is immobilized, I believe it prevents the fuel injectors from firing, but everything else works as it should. Hence why it tries to start but won't actually turn over. No fuel.
oh my gosh that makes se much sense to me now. You ate awesome im so relieved because i can of have a better idea of which way to try and get this resolved. Thank you so very much for your help i will let you know.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:20 AM

2003 maxima

I am at the end of my rope with this car oh my gosh its beyond frustrating. So i thought the car was imobilized so i called the dealership to get keys reprogrammed the guy tells me that if it just died at a light then the security system was not the problem. The car is too old to have it towed there and then diagnosed for 130.00 not sure what to do i have tried everything that i know. Im on battery #3 it s wants to start but wont turn over.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:26 PM
Administrator

I am at the end of my rope with this car oh my gosh its beyond frustrating. So i thought the car was imobilized so i called the dealership to get keys reprogrammed the guy tells me that if it just died at a light then the security system was not the problem. The car is too old to have it towed there and then diagnosed for 130.00 not sure what to do i have tried everything that i know. Im on battery #3 it s wants to start but wont turn over.
While I agree that a car doesn't shut off as you're driving down the street from being immobilized, when you tried to start the car the next time, it wouldn't start and the red security light was on and solid, right? That is immobilization. Perhaps you explained it incorrectly to the dealer, or the dealer misunderstood you.

Last edited by The Wizard; 01-28-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:34 PM

2003 maxima

While I agree that a car doesn't shut off as you're driving down the street from being immobilized, when you tried to start the car the next time, it wouldn't start and the red security light was on and solid, right? That is immobilization. Perhaps you explained it incorrectly to the dealer, or the dealer misunderstood you.
I told him when i was sitting at a light and the car died and that it sputtered into a parkinglot he told me that it doesnt die like that if its the security system. If i called a locksmith could they reprogram it and save me towing and diagnostic fees? He kind of acted like he didnt want to bother with it unless i brought it in and the diagnostic fee was 130.00 just to look at it.

Last edited by Penny Rae Brunson; 01-28-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:51 PM
Administrator

I told him when i was sitting at a light and the car died and that it sputtered into a parkinglot he told me that it doesnt die like that if its the security system. If i called a locksmith could they reprogram it and save me towing and diagnostic fees? He kind of acted like he didnt want to bother with it unless i brought it in and the diagnostic fee was 130.00 just to look at it.
Again, I agree with the dealer to an extent, but that's predicated on that maybe you explained it incorrectly to him, or his misunderstood your explanation. Did you tell him that it won't start and that the red security light is on and solid? That is still true, correct?
Yes, certain locksmiths have the proper OBDII tool that allows the reprogramming of keys. They are generally cheaper than the dealer, and you avoid the tow fee as you know.

But before you call a locksmith, I think we really need to establish that the car is truly immobilized.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:01 PM

2003 maxima

Again, I agree with the dealer to an extent, but that's predicated on that maybe you explained it incorrectly to him, or his misunderstood your explanation. Did you tell him that it won't start and that the red security light is on and solid? That is still true, correct?
Yes, certain locksmiths have the proper OBDII tool that allows the reprogramming of keys. They are generally cheaper than the dealer, and you avoid the tow fee as you know.

But before you call a locksmith, I think we really need to establish that the car is truly immobilized.
im not sure what to do next i tried the steps to see if it was locking the drivers door and then hitting the lock twice on the fob then cranking it over and it had a bunch of different steps and i followed exactly as it said but after turning the car over and waiting 10 mins the security light was suppose to blink and it never did. But i followed it through it took 40 minutes and it still didnt start. The new battery helps it try to start but it doesnt start. What else can i do?
Old 01-28-2021, 01:41 PM

2003 maximadoe

im not sure what to do next i tried the steps to see if it was locking the drivers door and then hitting the lock twice on the fob then cranking it over and it had a bunch of different steps and i followed exactly as it said but after turning the car over and waiting 10 mins the security light was suppose to blink and it never did. But i followed it through it took 40 minutes and it still didnt start. The new battery helps it try to start but it doesnt start. What else can i do?
having both keys on the same ring have anything to do with the security system? I had only the one and after all this started i got the second key and tried it but does it mess the car up in anybway having them close to one another and the fob on the same ring? Just curious.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:48 PM
Administrator

For the word lock highlighted in bold, I think you mean "unlock" instead of "lock", right? That's the only way it makes sense. And what steps are you following? Please be more clear with your description.

Do you or a friend have a OBDII code reader? At this point, I would be checking for stored codes to see if we can gather any clues to the non-staring issue. Also, it may be worth checking all the fuses in the engine bay and under the steering column, especially those related to ignition/starting. Sounds like you have multiple issues going on.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:52 PM

2003 maxima

For the word lock highlighted in bold, I think you mean "unlock" instead of "lock", right? That's the only way it makes sense. And what steps are you following? Please be more clear with your description.

Do you or a friend have a OBDII code reader? At this point, I would be checking for stored codes to see if we can gather any clues to the non-staring issue. Also, it may be worth checking all the fuses in the engine bay and under the steering column, especially those related to ignition/starting. Sounds like you have multiple issues going on.
ok yeah i have a friend that has one i will call him to see if he can come help me. This is frustrating and you have helped a ton so thank you. I will get back to you and let you know. Ty
Old 01-28-2021, 08:14 PM

Wow....That's like the first step, see what's stored as a fault using the OBD2 system....
Old 02-01-2021, 02:50 PM

2003 maxima

Originally Posted by CMax03
Wow....That's like the first step, see what's stored as a fault using the OBD2 system....
so i got codes 1610 1615 1800 1000 1001 113 462 1490. Lock guy said that the key programmed to the nats successfully but security light still on . friend thinks its in lock out mode . how do i get it out of lock out mode . i tried a bunch of things i have found on line non have worked
Old 02-01-2021, 04:11 PM
Administrator

so i got codes 1610 1615 1800 1000 1001 113 462 1490. Lock guy said that the key programmed to the nats successfully but security light still on . friend thinks its in lock out mode . how do i get it out of lock out mode . i tried a bunch of things i have found on line non have worked
Error Code P1610 is defined as Lock Mode. This code is triggered when the starting operation is carried out consecutively for five or more times with an unregistered ignition key or fault key.

P1615 Nissan Code. This code is usually triggered when a not registered or damaged key is used to start the engine. When the starting operation is carried out five or more times consecutively with the same unregistered key, the system will lock.

The other codes are related to the VIAS, air intake temp sensor, etc. All the codes are easy to find with a google search.

Try disconnecting the car battery for about 30 minutes and then try starting the engine with a known registered key. If the problem persists you have to have the dealer erase the code and reprogram the keys again.

Last edited by The Wizard; 02-01-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:05 PM

2003 maxima

Error Code P1610 is defined as Lock Mode. This code is triggered when the starting operation is carried out consecutively for five or more times with an unregistered ignition key or fault key.

P1615 Nissan Code. This code is usually triggered when a not registered or damaged key is used to start the engine. When the starting operation is carried out five or more times consecutively with the same unregistered key, the system will lock.

The other codes are related to the VIAS, air intake temp sensor, etc. All the codes are easy to find with a google search.

Try disconnecting the car battery for about 30 minutes and then try starting the engine with a known registered key. If the problem persists you have to have the dealer erase the code and reprogram the keys again.
Does it have to be the dealership that erases the code to reprogram them? Just curious because it will have to be towed there. Im starting to question this cars worth.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Does it have to be the dealership that erases the code to reprogram them? Just curious because it will have to be towed there. Im starting to question this cars worth.
Does not have to be the dealer. The issue you are going to have is finding a competent locksmith who has the knowledge and proper tools to reprogram the keys/ECU. Most are clueless when it comes to this stuff. I suspect you'll have to make many calls until you find the right locksmith. The dealer is the easy button, but will wind up costing the most.

Alternatively, if you have AAA membership, you may want to consider using that for towing. How about your car insurance? Stuff like rental cars and towing services are included for a nominal fee as part of your premium, and often go unused by the consumer.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:31 PM

2003 maxima

Does not have to be the dealer. The issue you are going to have is finding a competent locksmith who has the knowledge and proper tools to reprogram the keys/ECU. Most are clueless when it comes to this stuff. I suspect you'll have to make many calls until you find the right locksmith. The dealer is the easy button, but will wind up costing the most.

Alternatively, if you have AAA membership, you may want to consider using that for towing. How about your car insurance? Stuff like rental cars and towing services are included for a nominal fee as part of your premium, and often go unused by the consumer.
ok great i will check into all of them to see what my options are and thank you again for your help i will let you know the end result if i ever get there. Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:53 PM
Administrator

ok great i will check into all of them to see what my options are and thank you again for your help i will let you know the end result if i ever get there. Thanks again.
No problem. We hope you get it figured out. When you do, please do report back what the solution was.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:11 PM

2003 maxima

No problem. We hope you get it figured out. When you do, please do report back what the solution was.
I certainly will for sure.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:50 AM

2003 maxima

I certainly will for sure.
ok so i had a locksmith come out to reprogram my keys and he said the programming was successful but the car still does not start. Iam at a loss of what to do next and its so frustrating. I also had the wires on the alternator that go to the battery looked at and there is copper showing on the wires like they have been stretched should i replace them?
Old 02-08-2021, 12:09 PM
Administrator

ok so i had a locksmith come out to reprogram my keys and he said the programming was successful but the car still does not start. Iam at a loss of what to do next and its so frustrating. I also had the wires on the alternator that go to the battery looked at and there is copper showing on the wires like they have been stretched should i replace them?
Is the red security light still on, and solid?

Can you post a picture of the wire that you are referring to? Doesn't sound right based on your description.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:23 PM

2003 maxima

Is the red security light still on, and solid?

Can you post a picture of the wire that you are referring to? Doesn't sound right based on your description.

These are the wires from the alternator and yes the red light is solid
Old 02-09-2021, 06:53 PM

These are the wires from the alternator and yes the red light is solid
i dont know what else to do with this car after the keys were reprogrammed successfully the codes 1015 and 1016 come up what else can i do? Those?are still the security codes. Could this be the alternator? Or the imobilizer? Im stumped for what to do next.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:53 PM

2003 maxima

i dont know what else to do with this car after the keys were reprogrammed successfully the codes 1015 and 1016 come up what else can i do? Those?are still the security codes. Could this be the alternator? Or the imobilizer? Im stumped for what to do next.
well i figured out the problem besides keys needing reprogrammed. The starter was bad. Problems solved there. now there is oil everywhere from the engine and i was advised to get rid of the car due to bigger issues. Hope this was helpful to anyone with similar problems and thank you for all of the advice that was given to me i sincerely appreciate it. Thank you
Old 02-12-2021, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the update. I still think your max has other issues, as you are finding out. A bad starter would prevent a car from starting, but it wouldn't explain your very first post where the dash lights came on and car died. Think you still have a bad alternator, which is killing your batteries, and indirectly killed your starter. Oil everywhere could be minor, or could be very serious. Like you said, it may be time to let it go. Will you get another Maxima? Or switch brands?
Old 02-13-2021, 03:48 PM

Does the car have a aftermarket alarm? Also the alternator can kill the battery if the diodes are going bad which does not trigger the Batt/Brake light to indicate your alty is bad. If you have or had a aftermarket alarm or remote start if not installed proper or its malfunctioning it will do this also Viper systems are known for draining the battery in a few days if not driven regular.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:57 PM

2003 maxima

Originally Posted by The_Fixer
Does the car have a aftermarket alarm? Also the alternator can kill the battery if the diodes are going bad which does not trigger the Batt/Brake light to indicate your alty is bad. If you have or had a aftermarket alarm or remote start if not installed proper or its malfunctioning it will do this also Viper systems are known for draining the battery in a few days if not driven regular.
<br />ok here is the latest on my 2003 maxima im obviously a die hard because im not letting this car win. Lol so i had the keys reprogrammed which this tome was really a success the red alarm light is off. And i replaced the starter and was so excited when he went to start the car AND IT WOULDNT START. The locksmith told me he used to be a mechanic and said i needed a rotation sensor and nobody heard of that whom i asked so i looked online and it has something to do with the crankshaft is that correct? The battery is staying charged but i cant get it to start and i was told that a code would not show up if the check engine light was not on. So any advice would be great.<br />

Last edited by Penny Rae Brunson; 02-18-2021 at 01:00 PM.