General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Electrical short? Running lights also turn on the brake lights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 09:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Electrical short? Running lights also turn on the brake lights.

Something went wrong electrically on my 96 max. While fumbling with a little aftermarket LED to replace the stock passenger side door light bulb, a small 'pop' was heard under the steering wheel area.

It soon became apparent that the door light bulb would not light until the passenger door was closed. With the door closed, the courtesy bulb in the bottom of the door turned on, which is opposite of how these lights are supposed to work.

We discovered that a 15 amp fuse installed by the previous owner had blown, so this was replaced by the correct 7.5 amp fuse. But unfortunately, now with the running lights only switched on, all five rear facing lights (the two running lights and the three brake lights) all turn on! To repeat: With just the running lights switched on, the brake lights now come on -- and stay on -- with the running lights.

When this happens and you hit the brakes, all five rear facing lights brighten slightly. When you release brakes, they all dim slightly, but all five lights stay on until the running lights are switched off. How to diagnose a strange problem like this?

Could the door light relay have shorted to ground, and somehow this started activating the brake lights too?

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by mrwood; 12-21-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuse clarification: The 15 amp fuse installed by the previous owner that had blown was in the fuse box under the dash -- the fuse in position #5. Replaced, and the door courtesy lights are on. The fuse for tail lights in the engine compartment fuse box (top, fuse near the firewall) is still working. Pulling it disables the running lights.

The running light switch still turns on all three brake lights though. It's fairly depressing, not being able to drive the car because of this. My weekend mechanic friend and I are both stumped by the problem, so he suggested that I appeal to the collective wisdom on this forum. Thanks in advance for any ideas that might lead us to a solution.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update, with more details. My friend emailed suggestions to post in this thread:

"I think it may be worth mentioning on your post that the issue started when the passenger side "Step Lamp" was short circuited causing the "High Mount" brake light to turn on when turning on the "Running Lights" also making them brighter when the brake pedal is depressed. Also ask what components (fuses, relays, wiring, modules) may have been affected/damaged because of this. Last time I was there I mentioned something called a "Body Control Module" may have been damaged. If you could find one of these at a junkyard we may be able to eliminate it as a possibility."

Any comments or advice from other Maxima drivers?