General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Loud Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 06:40 PM

Loud Exhaust

I had a wonderful experience on sat installing my long awaited Cat back. Knowing that once the instalation was complete I would have the glory of driving a droaning sedan. WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!

I was noticing that the B pipe portion of the kit was made up of 2 glass packs like the ones we used to put on our domestics. Is this a reason why they are so loud on in our little V6's? If it is, how feasible is it to think we can reduce the droan by ridding ourselves of the glass packs??
Old 02-17-2002, 11:22 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

I'm assuming you got a GReddy... The GReddy muffler is straight thru so it will drone...Do you have a Y-Pipe too? It makes it a lot worse.

If you take those 2 resonators off... it's gonna get real loud.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by Chunger
I'm assuming you got a GReddy... The GReddy muffler is straight thru so it will drone...Do you have a Y-Pipe too? It makes it a lot worse.

If you take those 2 resonators off... it's gonna get real loud.
So are you saying that they are sound dampening?
Old 02-18-2002, 09:22 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by SLC I30t

So are you saying that they are sound dampening?
If those are the words, yes. Taking off these resonators will increase the drone.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:30 AM

If those are the words, yes. Taking off these resonators will increase the drone.
can anyone in here tell me how good the greddy sounds with a ypipe? all i hear are negative comments on the noise level. even with the greddy alone people were complaining. i finally get to ride inside someone's maxima with only a greddy/intake and it sounds almost mundane compared to my dad's 4 runner borla system. so will running the greddy with the Y make it riceboy loud at a certain rpm? how bad can it be? i hope it's even loud enough. the noise level is highly dependent on individuals, but is it a "quality" sound when you combine the two together or does it sound like it doesn't belong on a car like the max?
Old 02-18-2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by VQdriver
can anyone in here tell me how good the greddy sounds with a ypipe? all i hear are negative comments on the noise level. even with the greddy alone people were complaining. i finally get to ride inside someone's maxima with only a greddy/intake and it sounds almost mundane compared to my dad's 4 runner borla system. so will running the greddy with the Y make it riceboy loud at a certain rpm? how bad can it be? i hope it's even loud enough. the noise level is highly dependent on individuals, but is it a "quality" sound when you combine the two together or does it sound like it doesn't belong on a car like the max?
I have some Videos of my Greddy SP with a Pop charger and WSP Y pipe.
If you have AIM look for me mromero1975 or Yahoo messnger slci30t. I'll be more than happy to transfer them to you. I have 1 thats from ignition to about 80 mph and down shifting. Then another from the rear of that car staring at the exhaust. I'll try to get a cruising speed video in the next few days. The only time that it is unbearable is at WOT. around 6200 RPMs is all intake till you take your foot off the gas and the RPMS are slowing your car down, thats when its out of this world loud. I was noticing cruising today at 75 that it was very quiet with only a little rumble from the rear, easily hidden behind some Linkin Park. I wouldn't use the adjective "Riceboy" to describe the sound of the greddy with a Y pipe unless you have an unlined Y pipe that will add that zing to sound.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:15 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Unlike SLC, I DIDN'T mind the sound of the GReddy SP and Stillen Y at WOT.... It has a nice 'snarl' to it... not like the ricey Hondas (actually most NA 4 bangers). I just couldn't stand the resonance inside the car at 2400-2700 rpm. It was, IMO, bearable without the Y-Pipe and according to the SPL readings, one of GReddy's quieter systems. (My car was measured at GReddy in Irvine). I have since added a 22" 2.5" straight thru Magnaflow to replace the 2 resonators just after the Catalytic and rewelded one of those resonators further back on the exhaust. The exhaust is now more bearable albeit still louder than the GReddy alone. If you do a search on MAGNAFLOW you will find the thread i posted earlier.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:47 PM

Unlike SLC, I DIDN'T mind the sound of the GReddy SP and Stillen Y at WOT.... It has a nice 'snarl' to it... not like the ricey Hondas (actually most NA 4 bangers). I just couldn't stand the resonance inside the car at 2400-2700 rpm. It was, IMO, bearable without the Y-Pipe and according to the SPL readings, one of GReddy's quieter systems. (My car was measured at GReddy in Irvine). I have since added a 22" 2.5" straight thru Magnaflow to replace the 2 resonators just after the Catalytic and rewelded one of those resonators further back on the exhaust. The exhaust is now more bearable albeit still louder than the GReddy alone. If you do a search on MAGNAFLOW you will find the thread i posted earlier.
I didn't say I didn't like it, but when you are accelerating the exhaust gets drowned out by the intake until you let your foot off the gas and let your RPMS slow you down then its like your a space shuttle coming through the atmosphere... I do like the snarl though
Old 02-19-2002, 05:18 AM

I have a SC 99SE with a GReddy SP exhaust and a cattman Y pipe. It pretty much sucks and i can't stand it(sound wise, its pretty peppy otherwise). I'd rather drive my beater 79 F-250 around, at least it sounds normal.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:41 AM

I have a Greddy SP with a Cattman Y...I love the sound! The only bad thing, is it resonates at 2500RPMS which equates to about 70mph on the interstate. however, anything above or below that sounds awesome! It doesn't sound ricey at all...it has a deep growl to it!
Old 02-19-2002, 02:09 PM

has anyone ever tried a free flowing exhaust with really big gauge pipe? (not diameter) my jeep buds both have 360's (5.9l) in their CJs and theirs are fairly quiet. one of them just put a cam in and its still quiet hes got two flow techs. he says they suck but they are quiet. anyways im convinced i can make my car quiet. i have a straight pipe now and its not much louder then stock. and it was cheap too
later peeps
-pete
Old 02-19-2002, 02:28 PM

Why is it that some of the faster cars can attain that speed with relatively no noise compared to other suped up cars.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by MrBlank
Why is it that some of the faster cars can attain that speed with relatively no noise compared to other suped up cars.
Their manufacturers didn't de-tune their cars to appeal to the boring american consumer? Or is it that most other cars that are faster have more displacement? It maybe because the maxima(US) wasn't made to do a 13sec 1/4 mile
Old 02-19-2002, 04:06 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

My dual setup is loud, quite loud. It's not a droaning sound like you guys are talking about..but it has a unique burble at idle, and when revved it sounds turboish and then when the revvs decline it has a deep echoing burble that easily sets it apart from the civics, ect.

WOohoo!
Old 02-19-2002, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Asian_N02
I have a Greddy SP with a Cattman Y...I love the sound! The only bad thing, is it resonates at 2500RPMS which equates to about 70mph on the interstate. however, anything above or below that sounds awesome! It doesn't sound ricey at all...it has a deep growl to it!
I hear you......I just installed my greddy sp and i love the sound with my stillen y-pipe. It is not as loud as my last exhaust set up which i am very happy about.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by CHI99Limited

I hear you......I just installed my greddy sp and i love the sound with my stillen y-pipe. It is not as loud as my last exhaust set up which i am very happy about.
Not as loud as the ricer universal muffler you had... That thing was a beast