General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Radar Detectors Legal In Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 02:05 PM

Radar Detectors Legal In Canada?

I have a question for my friends up north in Canada...

I am planning to travel via the Maxima to Edmonton, Alberta from Chicago, Illinois next week and so I will be travelling through Manitoba, Saskatchewan, & Alberta. I wanted to make sure I had the correct information on the legality of radar detector use in Canada. So far I have learned that radar detectors are illegal in Manitoba, but are legal in Saskatchewan & Alberta.

Can some kind Canadian clarify this for me?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 02-20-2002, 02:35 PM

Re: Radar Detectors Legal In Canada?

Originally posted by jsangha
I have a question for my friends up north in Canada...

I am planning to travel via the Maxima to Edmonton, Alberta from Chicago, Illinois next week and so I will be travelling through Manitoba, Saskatchewan, & Alberta. I wanted to make sure I had the correct information on the legality of radar detector use in Canada. So far I have learned that radar detectors are illegal in Manitoba, but are legal in Saskatchewan & Alberta.

Can some kind Canadian clarify this for me?

Thanks,
Jay

uhm yeah i'd like to know also... i live in quebec
I am getting curious about getting one, seeing that
alot of you guys have them.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Radar detector

Radar detector operation is legal in only three Canadian provinces:
Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan.

Don't get caught with one in the other provinces (incl. Manitoba & Quebec ). It's going to cost you a lot of $$$.

Simon
Old 02-20-2002, 05:20 PM

some poor guys here recently had his V1 taken from him in canada.. so much for the cloaking feature..
Old 02-20-2002, 06:28 PM

Re: Radar detector

Originally posted by Amazing2
Radar detector operation is legal in only three Canadian provinces:
Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan.

Don't get caught with one in the other provinces (incl. Manitoba & Quebec ). It's going to cost you a lot of $$$.

Simon
So when I get into Manitoba from North Dakota on my way to Edmonton, will I have to hide my radar detector until I get to Saskatchewan?

What happens if they find it in the trunk of my car, in case they search my car at the border?

Thanks for your advise.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:35 PM

Well don't quote me, but here at the Buffalo/Ft. Erie border they make you kill your radar detector if you bring it over. How you may ask? The put it under your tire and make you drive over it

However, the QEW(Queen Elizabeth Way) from the us border to Toronto lets you "cruise" at a brisk 85-90mph, while being passed by other crazy canadians(most of them maxima.org drivers) and even cops. I was going ~85 the last time and i was passed like i was standing still.

So...there really is no need in Ontario
Old 02-21-2002, 07:59 AM

Fast drivers in Ontario

Originally posted by Mike S.
Well don't quote me, but here at the Buffalo/Ft. Erie border they make you kill your radar detector if you bring it over. How you may ask? The put it under your tire and make you drive over it

However, the QEW(Queen Elizabeth Way) from the us border to Toronto lets you "cruise" at a brisk 85-90mph, while being passed by other crazy canadians(most of them maxima.org drivers) and even cops. I was going ~85 the last time and i was passed like i was standing still.

I noticed that the last time I drove to Toronto. People drive a whole lot faster in Canada than they do in USA. I did over 85 mph from Windsor to Toronto and people were passing me up. Hopefully people in Western Canada drive just as fast.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:16 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Mike S.

I've gone across the border several times into Ontario and forgotten take my radar detector off of the windshield. Customs, border patrol, and even cops haven't said anything. I think in the Niagra Falls area they are a little forgiving than further north.