General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The cat was pulled...and its NOT the problem.........

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 12:03 PM

The cat was pulled...and its NOT the problem.........

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now that I have vented, the test that was run on the car apparently was incorrect because the cat looks brand new inside. You can see right through it.

So now I know that my guess was wrong, as well as the exhaust shop, and up to now nobody can figure out what the problem is.

I took the car to a well known Nissan dealer to see if they can figure it out. I let them know all that had been done.

So now I am out another $45, which will be added to the $100's already spent. I am so upset right now the I am becoming numb.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:06 PM

Hey, I have notice a performance loss in my 95 spd. I only put one car length on a auto 97 w/ intake to 100mph. I have an intake and y pipe. I have changed spark plugs, fuel filter, cleaned my tb, and cleaned my air filter. I had my cat checked and there was only a 40 degree difference between the front of the cat and back. what did yours read? Lets keep each other posted!
Old 02-26-2002, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would recommend doing a dyno. To see where you car is at compared to others with similar mods and to see if the problem can be related to the a defective ECU. If everything is fine mechanically, where else lies the blame? My .02
Old 02-26-2002, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by HondaKiller718
I would recommend doing a dyno. To see where you car is at compared to others with similar mods and to see if the problem can be related to the a defective ECU. If everything is fine mechanically, where else lies the blame? My .02
Check out his other thread. He has been using the DYNO and had a ton of stuff done so far but still cant figure it out.

SuDZ
Old 02-26-2002, 01:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: The cat was pulled...and its NOT the problem.........

I feel for you, man. Let me ask this. How does the car feel when it's cold?? I know it's not good to beat on it when its cold, but try that. If the car feels way more powerful when cold, then we can narrow down the problem to something to do with the ECU in normal mode, i.e maybe one of your O2 sensors may be defective, but not defectiive enough to set off the MIL.

DW

Originally posted by VeeTec
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now that I have vented, the test that was run on the car apparently was incorrect because the cat looks brand new inside. You can see right through it.

So now I know that my guess was wrong, as well as the exhaust shop, and up to now nobody can figure out what the problem is.

I took the car to a well known Nissan dealer to see if they can figure it out. I let them know all that had been done.

So now I am out another $45, which will be added to the $100's already spent. I am so upset right now the I am becoming numb.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:32 PM

Why not see what your ignition timing is set at? Even though you can't change it, it can be compared to others on the forum. For example if the ECU was misteriously pulling 5-9 degrees there would be a huge power loss all over the powerband. If you know anyone that has a scanner or have the nissan dealer log the timing advance/curve during normal driving and WOT. If the car is pulling more timing out than usual then that means that it is probably getting "out of spec" info from the other sensors. If that doesn't work do a power balance test. I'm betting that maybe all of your injectors aren't working 100%. If they were only working let's say 90%, then you could only make 90% of the full power. Either way your going to need some kind of data logging to find this problem. Then again it could be the OBD-II pulling the power so the car makes stock power (j/k).
Old 02-26-2002, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Why not see what your ignition timing is set at? Even though you can't change it, it can be compared to others on the forum. For example if the ECU was misteriously pulling 5-9 degrees there would be a huge power loss all over the powerband. If you know anyone that has a scanner or have the nissan dealer log the timing advance/curve during normal driving and WOT. If the car is pulling more timing out than usual then that means that it is probably getting "out of spec" info from the other sensors. If that doesn't work do a power balance test. I'm betting that maybe all of your injectors aren't working 100%. If they were only working let's say 90%, then you could only make 90% of the full power. Either way your going to need some kind of data logging to find this problem. Then again it could be the OBD-II pulling the power so the car makes stock power (j/k).
The car goes back to balanced performance in the morning. I will ask them about what you have stated. I took it to Troncalli Nissan yesterday afternoon, after leaving the exhaust shop, and their reply was that, "Its because you have an aftermarket intake."

I asked the service manager to explain further and she said thats all there is to explain. Then I bugged her some more and she finally consulted with the mechanic, she tells me the best they have, and he tells her that its because, "The intake is drawing warm air and and not sensoring."

I asked if it was because the map sensor was not able to deal with the air flow, and she said, "Lets not get ahead of the main problem."

I asked if the computer was throwing a code and she said,"No."

I said, "Then how come the car ran great with the intake for over two weeks then suddenly started acting up if no sensors are bad or malfunctioning. How could the intake be responsible for it running bad alone?"

She said, "I am just telling you what our best mechanic with over 27 years of experience has said, and I guarantee you he is right."

I asked to speak with the mechanic and she said that she had him on 3 oil changes at the time, so that he couldn't talk to me.

I am going to file a complaint tomorrow, all he did was look under my hood see the intake and state that was the problem, and they won't even let me discuss the problem with him. It ended up costing me another $83!!!!!!!!! And it was all for nothing because their diagnosis is complete BS!

I updated Balanced and they are going to work with me because it is bugging them also.

I will keep everyone updated.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The car goes back to balanced performance in the morning. I will ask them about what you have stated. I took it to Troncalli Nissan yesterday afternoon, after leaving the exhaust shop, and their reply was that, "Its because you have an aftermarket intake."
Put a stock airbox on and take it to them. When it does the same thing tell them they are wrong and need to look into the problem, since their 27-year experience mech. was an idiot. Or you could see if some others on the org near you with an aftermarket intake and other mods on well-running cars could come by and show the stupid dealer rep that they obviously don't know what they are talking about. Continue to give them a piece of your mind on decent service and knowledgeable, helpful people and see if they take you more seriously. Be sure to mention that unless they can prove the intake is causing the problem, it wouldn't void the warranty.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:56 PM

She said, "I am just telling you what our best mechanic with over 27 years of experience has said, and I guarantee you he is right."
Damn Veetec sorry to hear about your loss i am not mechanically inclined so i have nothing of value to offer here but as for the mechanic i have a few choice word's for.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:36 PM

MY story

Originally posted by bmxsteve
Hey, I have notice a performance loss in my 95 spd. I only put one car length on a auto 97 w/ intake to 100mph. I have an intake and y pipe. I have changed spark plugs, fuel filter, cleaned my tb, and cleaned my air filter. I had my cat checked and there was only a 40 degree difference between the front of the cat and back. what did yours read? Lets keep each other posted!
What exactly happened, with your car? I had a check engine light took it in and they stated it was the front cats. After I informed them the car no longer had front cats they said it must be the rear cat(having to work harder than normal. Charged me 145 and I left furious. Told them once I put the stock cat back on if the engine light didnt clear they owed me a refund. But, instead I unplugged the computer let the car sit overnight and havent had the code since. I have spoke with teh service manager several times and she basically said this to me in not so clear words. The mechanics only know what the read out gives them. If the car has been modified as mine has they have no idea, nor does the computer. The diagnoses was wrong but because I changed the car they didnt know what to do. THis didnt void my warranty but the next time I took the car in, the wrote on the invoice "car has y pipe which has plate saying off road use only, and after market cat." wWhile they think this may cover their *** regardless of anything, the car is under warranty they may void say the exhaust set up but the car is still under warranty. After research if the o2 is bad this can cause the rear cat to go bad. Spoke with Clay at Random Tech and he said to send it back and he would replace no problem, but I honestly do not think this was the problem. The mechanics now days only know what the readouts tell them, the cars are well above and beyond their scope of understanding/diagnosing a problem. I have my moments with some of these so called experienced mech's. Ask him to explain to you how an engine generates power. If he can not which I would bet a majority can not then my question is if ya dont know whats happening intermnally how the hell can you diagnose the problem?/ Write me back if you want to compare problems as I would be glad to discuss..
Old 02-27-2002, 04:48 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

ahhhh !!!!

VeeTec - bro i dont know what to say. what part of atlanta are you in? check your pms.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:53 AM

Check your knock sensor

I just replaced mine at 138k and its running like new.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:56 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Check your knock sensor

Originally posted by SkyXRacer
I just replaced mine at 138k and its running like new.
he checked already. he had another post few days ago about everything he had checked.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:01 AM

VeeTec if there is anything I can do let me know................

I also have a 97 SE with Y and Intake if you need the dealer to observe another car. I assume you still have you stock intake if you need one I still have mine as well. I live in Gwinnett and work in Marietta.

Good Luck.

I asked the service manager to explain further and she said thats all there is to explain. Then I bugged her some more and she finally consulted with the mechanic, she tells me the best they have, and he tells her that its because, "The intake is drawing warm air and and not sensoring.

I asked if it was because the map sensor was not able to deal with the air flow, and she said, "Lets not get ahead of the main problem."

I said, "Then how come the car ran great with the intake for over two weeks then suddenly started acting up if no sensors are bad or malfunctioning. How could the intake be responsible for it running bad alone?"

I asked to speak with the mechanic and she said that she had him on 3 oil changes at the time, so that he couldn't talk to me.

I am going to file a complaint tomorrow, all he did was look under my hood see the intake and state that was the problem, and they won't even let me discuss the problem with him. It ended up costing me another $83!!!!!!!!! And it was all for nothing because their diagnosis is complete BS!

I updated Balanced and they are going to work with me because it is bugging them also.

I will keep everyone updated. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 02-27-2002, 09:31 AM

Sorry to hear that Warren.... another shot in the dark...

Since you did just put this intake on, you might want to remove it and see if there is any oily substance on your MAFS?? I really don't think this would cause the symptoms that you are having, but it wouldn't take that long to check. Maybe the filter was really oiled down good, causing some to stick to the grill on the MAFS, and making it much harder for your car to breath?? Like I said above, just a shot in the dark?? Also, I have an extra MAFS that you could use to trouble shoot with. But I am just as baffled as you on this, and hope you can figure it out soon.

Stupid question, what plugs did you use when you changed them out?? Think you said the NGK OEM plugs, but can't remember??

Oh, and as far as the warm air theory and the mechanic saying it was a direct cause of your intake is horse crap. lol

Good Luck to you.

I asked the service manager to explain further and she said thats all there is to explain. Then I bugged her some more and she finally consulted with the mechanic, she tells me the best they have, and he tells her that its because, "The intake is drawing warm air and and not sensoring."

Old 02-27-2002, 09:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: VeeTec if there is anything I can do let me know................

Originally posted by ivolley
"The intake is drawing warm air and and not sensoring.
God forbid you ever take the car to FL/SoCA/Nevada/NM/AZ. I guess every 4th gen in the country is SOL when a heat wave hits during the summer. I didn't know a car could just "not sensor" air when it goes through the MAF.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

Franky if the new shop doesn't have a consult like device, it might be harder to diagnois. You need something that will measure what your ignition timing is doing and how you injectors are behaving. I think if they have a Snap-On diagnostic, you will be fine.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:49 AM

Balanced has the consult system and the other equpiment needed. They have checked everything just about. I will check on the items mentioned and again thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Also I put in the stock NGK plugs.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:17 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

You're not running factory NGKs? What plugs are you running? I ran Bosch Plat. for about a month and my car felt weak, flat all over, and showed signs of detonation. It progressively got worse. I replaced the plugs and my car was far more lively. Truth be told, get factory replacement plugs for the Maxima. It does make a difference.

Dave
Old 02-27-2002, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
You're not running factory NGKs? What plugs are you running? I ran Bosch Plat. for about a month and my car felt weak, flat all over, and showed signs of detonation. It progressively got worse. I replaced the plugs and my car was far more lively. Truth be told, get factory replacement plugs for the Maxima. It does make a difference.

Dave
I replaced the stock plugs, with the stock plugs. The NGK's are all my car has seen.