General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Supercharged Max Owners w/ Air Fuel Meter

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 02:48 AM

Supercharged Max Owners w/ Air Fuel Meter

I'm installing mine tomorrow.

My FMU has the 6:1 plate installed. This autometer one seems to move really quickly from one reading to another (or so I've seen on other people's cars).

How should I go about reading this? What ranges should I be concerned about? I tihnk the FMU will be fuel-washing the engine through the midrange and probably clean out towards redline. Aren't FMU's designed for operation at redline.

I don't know how Vortech designed it, but it's mechanical for vaccum/boost right? Well any help on reading this air/fuel (what should, shouldn't happen through the rev range) would be grateful.

Thanks in advanced
Old 02-27-2002, 05:23 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

The AF ratio does bounce back and forth in open loop operation as the ECU constantly corrects it from slightly lean to slightly rich and back. But, under closed loop operation (near WOT) you should see a constant reading. Generally, AF guages that use the OEM O2 sensors arent very useful as the sensor has a very narrow range. For most people, EGT is a much more useful tuning tool.

If you want a useful AF guage, you need one with a wide-band sesnor, but these are big $$.

MoTec Lambda Meter
Old 02-27-2002, 06:22 AM

I ordered one of these but havent received it yet (just sent it out this morning). What it does is change the range that the A/F gauge reads. So it will only work for WOT. I pasted the information below. Sounds like it will at least work a little better than the regular a/f gauge. Although still not as good as a wideband o2 meter. It will give you a more accurate readout at WOT.

http://www.gadgetseller.com/gauges/techinfo.htm

"The Autometer gauges in their stock form are excellent gauges but they lack the precision required to be useful for tuning your car at full throttle conditions. We recalibrate the gauges to the narrow voltage range that your vehicle should run while at full throttle. The finished product has 5 times the resolution of the stock gauge and incredible speed and accuracy. On the modified gauge, each of the 20 LED's will represent .01V covering the range from approximately .78V to .98V. This range covers full throttle conditions in most vehicles.

We sell factory new modified Autometer gauges shown below or you can send your used air/fuel gauge to be modified. It will be modified and returned usually overnight. See the ordering information page for pricing and availability. All gauges modified will include a user's manual with a calibration sheet documenting the voltage displayed by each LED. Enlarge the thumbnails to view a sample. There is a slight variation from gauge to gauge of about .01 volt but all gauges are well within full throttle tuning ranges. Custom ranges are also possible at an additional cost. Contact us for pricing."
Old 02-27-2002, 06:46 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

By the time you see "Lean"....... *BOOM*

Replace it with an EGT gauge.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:59 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

You mean "REAN"
Don't knock it... that Tomei is REALLY accurate.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:08 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

Yeah I know I still mine peeking at me in the vent on drivers right side. I'm just debating about alot of things, and thinking about how to get my license back w/o going to jail.

-Peace
Just don't get caught.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:30 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

6:1
eh?
and you're on a v1

you think that's why u blew the motor?
Old 02-27-2002, 12:11 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by Chebosto
eh?
and you're on a v1

I think he is still using the stock pulley, though.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
The AF ratio does bounce back and forth in open loop operation as the ECU constantly corrects it from slightly lean to slightly rich and back. But, under closed loop operation (near WOT) you should see a constant reading. Generally, AF guages that use the OEM O2 sensors arent very useful as the sensor has a very narrow range. For most people, EGT is a much more useful tuning tool.

If you want a useful AF guage, you need one with a wide-band sesnor, but these are big $$.

MoTec Lambda Meter
Yeah I know the lamda meter is really useful, but obviously the costs are nuts on it. I knoew this autometer one is almost all looks and no function, and EGT is a better way to see how the overall car is running. However, I already have the guage and just want to know the best way to use what I have.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
eh?
and you're on a v1

6:1 is what Steve ran for the longest time without problems. Also, I'm just running the stock pulley, and 10:1 would definately be a fuel wash.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wouldn't it be wise to run an AF and an EGT at the same time with boost guage Brian??? I am NA but am learning as I want to know more...seems they defeinetly tell you distinct different iinfo about yur car's operation...
Old 03-02-2002, 02:36 AM

Well as of now the boost guage works pretty well. I'm surprised that I'm not actually boosting as much as I thought I was (guess that's good). The A/F is impossible to read unless you've got your foot in it deep, then it reads RICH which is what it's supposed to do.

I'd like to get a water temp guage (stock one isn't very accurate), and an EGT. However, I don't know what I'm going to do right now.