General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Which option
Option 1
75.00%
Option 2
16.67%
Option 3
8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Trying to make up my mind here, please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 09:46 PM

Trying to make up my mind here, please help

bearings went bad in my tranny last week, I DO NOT WANT TO GET THE BEARINGS REPLACED because if they open the transmission and find that there is a broken gear cluster which my girls dad thinks there might be, as well as the infiniti dealer then I will be out well over 2k, I have 3 options right now and 2K to spend,

Option 1

Brand new Nissan Transmission with LSD $1600-1800 bucks
Also have to get new driveshafts $80 bucks each

Option 2

Brand new Nissan Transmission with out LSD same price no new driveshafts

Option 3

Used Transmission from salvage yard $600-1000(I only wonder about parts that sit around in the salvage yard for a long time, anyone have personal opinions on used parts please post)

Thanks in advance for any help you guys have, also could someone explain the advantages of having the LSD?

thanks
Old 03-08-2002, 09:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would say go for the new tranny without the LSD. I've seen a couple of post where people think the LSD made them slower when racing. It's funny because I thought the LSD was supposed to help lower 1/4 mile times.
Old 03-09-2002, 09:43 AM

anyone else?
Old 03-09-2002, 10:02 AM

I'll put in my 2 cents on this one. First off why are you ruling out getting the bearings replaced? The bearings (differential) are literally $30 or less a piece. Its the labor that hurts. I would not trust buying a new or even a used transmission without opening it, simply as how I discovered the exact sized shims in 2 different transmissions I took apart. So, this means if the shims are off in your new/used transmission, then this bearing problem is gonna come up again.

What I did, was at first I replaced the differential (I caught the problem while doing the diffy project) in my first transmission. So I had to replace the bearings anyway. Then 2nd gear decided to blow up on me. I bought a junkyard transmission for $250 that had a busted case on it. Fortunately for me, it only had 16,000 miles on it, verified by carfax and it had shiny parts still on it. So I lucked out there, even though I drove 250 miles one way to get it. I also opened up this transmission to install my Quaife in, and reshimed this one.

Bottom line is, if you get your tranny rebuilt, BE SURE THEY SHIM THE BEARINGS, otherwise you or someone else will be doign the same thing 50k down the road.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
I'll put in my 2 cents on this one. First off why are you ruling out getting the bearings replaced? The bearings (differential) are literally $30 or less a piece. Its the labor that hurts. I would not trust buying a new or even a used transmission without opening it, simply as how I discovered the exact sized shims in 2 different transmissions I took apart. So, this means if the shims are off in your new/used transmission, then this bearing problem is gonna come up again.

What I did, was at first I replaced the differential (I caught the problem while doing the diffy project) in my first transmission. So I had to replace the bearings anyway. Then 2nd gear decided to blow up on me. I bought a junkyard transmission for $250 that had a busted case on it. Fortunately for me, it only had 16,000 miles on it, verified by carfax and it had shiny parts still on it. So I lucked out there, even though I drove 250 miles one way to get it. I also opened up this transmission to install my Quaife in, and reshimed this one.

Bottom line is, if you get your tranny rebuilt, BE SURE THEY SHIM THE BEARINGS, otherwise you or someone else will be doign the same thing 50k down the road.
That's why I am going to get the new one, rebuild this one myself over the next few months, the only problem i have with getting it rebuilt is the people not paying attention to the shims size or a cluster gear being out and having to replace that for who knows how much, I guess I am just really trying to decide between the LSD tranny and the non LSD tranny but can you tell me the benifits of having the LSD? thanks again
Old 03-09-2002, 12:42 PM

There's really only 2 advantages to an LSD

1) When you launch, like at the track, both front wheels will try to put the car's power to the ground, better hookup than just one tire for the normal tranny.

2) In corners, when you want to accelerate out of one, the LSD equipped car will pull harder because the LSD will be better able to put the car's power to the ground in the turn. The reason is that, with the regular Maxima, when you pull out of a corner, like say a hard left, your right front wheel is taking most of the car's weight, but the left wheel is light. You floor the accelerator, the NON LSD tranny puts the power to the wheel with the LEAST resistance, the left tire. Result? Spin uselessly. With and LSD, alot of the torque would be transferred to the right front wheel, and since it's so loaded down, it'll put the car's power down nicely, pulling you out of that corner STRONG

Of these 2 advantages, number 2 is the most advantageous. So, if you love the corners, you'll love the LSD. Number one is kinda iffy. Like others have said, LSD equipped Maximas don't seem to go much faster in the 1/4 mile.

DW
Old 03-09-2002, 02:10 PM

I've had to replace my transmission twice. Once when I first got the car, and a second time about 2 months after the first replacement. In both cases, I got a used tranny. The shop that did it for me put a warranty on the job, so the second tranny was free. It was 400 for the parts, 600 for labor. (That much for labor is a joke. I got raped on that deal.) As long as you don't mind having the car tied up for afew days and make sure you get a warranty, the used tranny is a good money-saver. But if you're going to be really hard on it, better go with the new one.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
There's really only 2 advantages to an LSD

1) When you launch, like at the track, both front wheels will try to put the car's power to the ground, better hookup than just one tire for the normal tranny.

2) In corners, when you want to accelerate out of one, the LSD equipped car will pull harder because the LSD will be better able to put the car's power to the ground in the turn. The reason is that, with the regular Maxima, when you pull out of a corner, like say a hard left, your right front wheel is taking most of the car's weight, but the left wheel is light. You floor the accelerator, the NON LSD tranny puts the power to the wheel with the LEAST resistance, the left tire. Result? Spin uselessly. With and LSD, alot of the torque would be transferred to the right front wheel, and since it's so loaded down, it'll put the car's power down nicely, pulling you out of that corner STRONG

Of these 2 advantages, number 2 is the most advantageous. So, if you love the corners, you'll love the LSD. Number one is kinda iffy. Like others have said, LSD equipped Maximas don't seem to go much faster in the 1/4 mile.

DW
Well people have told me that without the limited slip you only spin one front tire, i am pretty damn sure that my car spins both tires when dumping the clutch, does that mean that my car may already have the standard LSD?
Old 03-09-2002, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
Well people have told me that without the limited slip you only spin one front tire, i am pretty damn sure that my car spins both tires when dumping the clutch, does that mean that my car may already have the standard LSD?
If you don't know what a LSD is/don't know if you have one, you obviously don't need one.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:48 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by global_threat

If you don't know what a LSD is/don't know if you have one, you obviously don't need one.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by global_threat

That helps out alot let me tell you
Old 03-11-2002, 05:44 AM

Yeah, our car does that. There's even one guy with a white Max who took a picture while he was burning out. Both front tires were smoking. It's not LSD, I think what's happening is that both tires are experiencing nearly the same amount of grip, slide, grip, slide, so the differential is boucning back and forth (well, left to right)to whichever tire is sliding the most for the moment. If you do it in a turn, though, like I described above, the outside tire will be much grippier than the inside tire, so the inside tire will spin all the time.

Oh, and don't do donut burnouts with FWD, that stresses out your CV axles like you won't beleive.

DW

Old 03-11-2002, 12:32 PM

Well ordered the LSD tranny today, $1980.39 with tax and everything, i guess i need to go out and buy some axles
Old 03-11-2002, 02:49 PM

Well ordered the LSD tranny today, $1980.39 with tax and everything, i guess i need to go out and buy some axles
have fun.

SuDZ
Old 03-11-2002, 02:57 PM

Remember to check what type tranny fluid this new tranny will need. If it says GL-5 is OK, then you can use the Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec 75w90 tranny fluid.

If it says GL-4, stick with Redline MT-90.

Enjoy you ride

DW