General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Smoked RS Camaro tonight.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 11:38 PM

I know this isn't much to brag about, but here is the story:

My friend has a 97 RS Camaro and is about to sell it so we decided we would line it up before he got rid of it. We tested it on topend and from stoplight to stoplight. The Maxima walked on him each time. They are both autos so it is an even match on the tranny department. I don't think a 5spd for him would have changed the results much though. From 0-60 I would gain about a car, and from there to 100 I would gain about another car and a half. At 120mph with both wide open I would walk on him for about 5 or more car lengths to about 130mph then I would cut it off. Anyway, I have raced them before, and I knew what the result would be, just want to double check.
Old 11-20-2000, 11:47 PM

these cars should be close in power and weight. If it was a 5spd in the camaro, and just an intake, it would be faster then your relatively stock Maxima.
Old 11-21-2000, 12:06 AM

Yeah not sure what the weight is but it is 3.8liter at 200hp. Of course he doesn't have dual overhead cams. I would like to race a 5spd, if it were to be faster, I don't think it would be by much.

Originally posted by TexMaximum
these cars should be close in power and weight. If it was a 5spd in the camaro, and just an intake, it would be faster then your relatively stock Maxima.
Old 11-21-2000, 12:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I took out an Eclipse GS last night.. Driving that thing like he owned the road or something. I shadowed him through traffic and got behide him.. He tried to get fancy in traffic and lose me but he got caught up and I got ahead of him. Road opened up.. =) He was riding my tail now.. I smile.. =) waiting for him to make a move.. We're going 55 about.. =) I'm waiting to throw it in 2nd and smoke him if he made a move.. 1st and 2nd on the auto maxima is pretty wicked.. =) He pulls makes his move.. pulls to my right.. Just as we are passing a overpass.. =) Downshift.. We all know the sounds ladies and gentlemen.. Of the VQ with intake and Y-pipe at full blast.. VRRROOOOOOM.. SHHHHHHHH.. Echoing off the overpass.. AHHH.. Toast.. Yummy.. Hehe..

Not worth starting another thread for an Eclipse GS.. thought I would share here.. =)

ZuM
Old 11-21-2000, 12:31 AM

they are a bit faster. I've raced a v6 convertable with a 5spd, and it was faster then my stock 96 Max Auto at the time.
Old 11-21-2000, 04:23 PM

Think about how pathetic this is.

Originally posted by Victim64
I know this isn't much to brag about, but here is the story:

My friend has a 97 RS Camaro and is about to sell it so we decided we would line it up before he got rid of it. We tested it on topend and from stoplight to stoplight. The Maxima walked on him each time. They are both autos so it is an even match on the tranny department. I don't think a 5spd for him would have changed the results much though. From 0-60 I would gain about a car, and from there to 100 I would gain about another car and a half. At 120mph with both wide open I would walk on him for about 5 or more car lengths to about 130mph then I would cut it off. Anyway, I have raced them before, and I knew what the result would be, just want to double check.
I mean really, a new Camero (97 is new in my book), even a six cylinder, totally destroyed by a Maxima with no performance modifications what so ever. That's a shame. Almost makes me sad to be an American. POS's.

Old 11-21-2000, 04:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Be careful. I do have an American car.

At least it has a bigger motor and more torque than most Civics.
Old 11-21-2000, 10:24 PM

Re: Think about how pathetic this is.

Originally posted by Booker
I mean really, a new Camero (97 is new in my book), even a six cylinder, totally destroyed by a Maxima with no performance modifications what so ever. That's a shame. Almost makes me sad to be an American. POS's.

Hey, I have performance mods. You know, an air intake that makes some noise and doesn't show off its benefits since my exhaust is still stock, and I can stop really quick with those Porterfield pads, so those mods alone should have made me smoke his ***.....lol Yeah still fairly stock, but UPRD ECU coming this month.
Old 11-22-2000, 10:16 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Think about how pathetic this is.

Booker
You are terribly misinformed. A 3800 V6 F-Body (automatic or manual) will give a Maxima a decent run for it's money. I don't particularily like 3800 V6 F-Bodies, but I know their potential. A stock 3800 V6 F-Body, regardless of tranny, typically runs in the 15.7@88mph range. That's more than enough to hang with a auto Max. The F-Body can launch much harder than the Max and the Max has a better topend. It all evens out. If you add a intake and catback to the F-Body, then the race gets much closer. Go to camaroz28.com and go to the V6 forum. There are plenty of guys running 14s with nearly no mods. My friend has a built up 3.4 V6 (heads, cam, intake manifold, slight stroke increase to 3.5) F-Body. This car started off as a high 16 second car. Now he's running 15.8s@87 mph with 2.4 60 foots, bald tires, pathetic 3.08 gears, and a stock torque converter. By simply adding drag tires, 3.73 gears, and a high stall converter, this V6 is gonna be in the 14s. That impresses me.

Point is, don't get on an ego trip and think a V6 F-Body is junk. There are many people who can prove you terribly wrong.

Dave
Old 11-22-2000, 10:38 AM

Re: Re: Think about how pathetic this is.

Originally posted by Dave B
Booker
You are terribly misinformed. A 3800 V6 F-Body (automatic or manual) will give a Maxima a decent run for it's money. I don't particularily like 3800 V6 F-Bodies, but I know their potential. A stock 3800 V6 F-Body, regardless of tranny, typically runs in the 15.7@88mph range. That's more than enough to hang with a auto Max. The F-Body can launch much harder than the Max and the Max has a better topend. It all evens out. If you add a intake and catback to the F-Body, then the race gets much closer. Go to camaroz28.com and go to the V6 forum. There are plenty of guys running 14s with nearly no mods. My friend has a built up 3.4 V6 (heads, cam, intake manifold, slight stroke increase to 3.5) F-Body. This car started off as a high 16 second car. Now he's running 15.8s@87 mph with 2.4 60 foots, bald tires, pathetic 3.08 gears, and a stock torque converter. By simply adding drag tires, 3.73 gears, and a high stall converter, this V6 is gonna be in the 14s. That impresses me.

Point is, don't get on an ego trip and think a V6 F-Body is junk. There are many people who can prove you terribly wrong.

Dave
I'm not on an ego trip, nor terribly misinformed. I was simply responding to the original post and the facts contained therein. When I read that ANY car opend up a 5 car length lead in a race...that is a good old fashioned spanking. No matter how you look at it. You talk about how the F-body "can" launch harder and has better top end, when modified can do such-and-such, which all may be true - but re-read the post. He destroyed a stock RS Camero. I do believe that the case opens and closes right there. I'm not saying that the RS's can't be made to be fast. The point here isn't how fast the RS can be made via modifications, the point is, in the story in this post, it wasn't even close. Ya feel me??

Besides, you call a built up 3.4 V6 with heads, cam, intake manifold, stroke increase to 3.5, drag radials, 3.73 gears swap, and a high stall converter - nearly no mods??

[Edited by Booker on 11-22-2000 at 12:46 PM]

Old 11-22-2000, 01:35 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Booker-

The only reason Victim was able to pull the F-Body so hard in the topend is because the V6 F-Body is speed limited to ~115mph. In a 1/4 mile race, Victim is only able to pull less than 2 cars lengths plus Victim has an intake which does help on the topend. The F-Body has the ability to launch hard. If Victim is pulling on his friends F-Body off the line in an automatic Maxima, then his friend can't drive. I've got a 5 speed Max runnning in the 14s and I can't out launch a V6 3800 F-Body at the track. Not until 35mph do I catch up and pass them.

As for my friend's 94 3.4 V6 F-Body. Well, that's different I figured you'd pick up on it. The 3.4 F-Body is only rated at 160hp and is world's slower than the 3.8 (3800) series V6 F-Body. My friend started out making 130rwhp and 165 ft/lb torque. He is now up to 175rwhp and 200ft/lbs of torque. It takes lots of mods to get a 3.4 to run.

Dave
Old 11-22-2000, 01:52 PM

Yeah, maybe he can't drive(however I think he is skilled enough to drive an auto), or maybe he has a limon. Just for you Dave, we will switch cars and see what happens on the launch. I will post the results later today.....

Originally posted by Dave B
Booker-

The only reason Victim was able to pull the F-Body so hard in the topend is because the V6 F-Body is speed limited to ~115mph. In a 1/4 mile race, Victim is only able to pull less than 2 cars lengths plus Victim has an intake which does help on the topend. The F-Body has the ability to launch hard. If Victim is pulling on his friends F-Body off the line in an automatic Maxima, then his friend can't drive. I've got a 5 speed Max runnning in the 14s and I can't out launch a V6 3800 F-Body at the track. Not until 35mph do I catch up and pass them.

As for my friend's 94 3.4 V6 F-Body. Well, that's different I figured you'd pick up on it. The 3.4 F-Body is only rated at 160hp and is world's slower than the 3.8 (3800) series V6 F-Body. My friend started out making 130rwhp and 165 ft/lb torque. He is now up to 175rwhp and 200ft/lbs of torque. It takes lots of mods to get a 3.4 to run.

Dave
Old 11-22-2000, 05:57 PM

The results are in.

OK, we switched cars and tried our experiment again. The results are almost the same. He drove my car and kept it in drive and just floored it off the line. I drove his car and tried just flooring it in drive and also tried shifting up from low1 ect. When manually shifting his auto, his car did slightly better. However, my car only in drive (I think it performs better when shifting it but...)and his being shifted and power braked, the Max pulled off the line and hit 60mph first. With my best take off in the RS I was still about half car length behind my Maxima in reaching 60mph, so I was about on the Max's rear door. Sorry Dave, this F-Body doesn't take off faster than my Maxima. I guess we will have to say it is a lemon since you say that the F-Body should take off the line faster.

Well, I guess I will have to find and race another RS to see if the results are different to please the skeptics...
Old 11-22-2000, 06:17 PM

If you race another RS, try a 5spd. I know these take of harder then the Maxima. How did he like driving your Maxima and beating his own car?

[Edited by TexMaximum on 11-23-2000 at 12:38 AM]
Old 11-22-2000, 08:49 PM

That's why he is selling it....

he wants to take the money and put it toward a Maxima, so we might have a new member shortly. Thats how I got turned on to a Maxima, I got smoked by one before I knew what it was. Then I test drove one and I was hooked. It was nice seeing my car going down the road with throttle wide open, but I perfer to be behind the wheel.

Originally posted by TexMaximum
If you race another RS, try a 5spd. I know these take of harder then the Maxima. How did you like driving yourr Maxima and beating his own car?
Old 11-22-2000, 10:08 PM

i raced a camero once.. im really not good wit american cars.. but this bad boy was the 320?? hp version?? i dunno.. thats what the guy told me when he was talkin his s#@t.. well anyway.. it did sound like v8 and it was 6spd?? or maybe 5 i dunno.. but he was trying to make it seem pretty fast.. well it was a good race.. only beat him by bout a car or so.. definatly not one of those lil slow v6 cameros
Old 11-22-2000, 10:17 PM

Good kill. So you want to tell us what mods you got and if you have a 5spd, are is that your little secret?

Originally posted by Phil96SE
i raced a camero once.. im really not good wit american cars.. but this bad boy was the 320?? hp version?? i dunno.. thats what the guy told me when he was talkin his s#@t.. well anyway.. it did sound like v8 and it was 6spd?? or maybe 5 i dunno.. but he was trying to make it seem pretty fast.. well it was a good race.. only beat him by bout a car or so.. definatly not one of those lil slow v6 cameros
Old 11-23-2000, 11:25 AM

LOL

Originally posted by Victim64
Good kill. So you want to tell us what mods you got and if you have a 5spd, are is that your little secret?

REad his sig ...he has no mods....
c'mon he only beat an LS1 6-spd camaro .. what's the big deal..they only run 13's stock ? ...
then again what do i know ? absolutely nothing

Ant
Old 11-23-2000, 12:18 PM

its a nice car.. but come on if a 4 door beat him he needs more mods too i don't believe in mods.. they are the anti turkey eveyone have a good holiday.. an drink lots of good stuff
Old 11-23-2000, 01:26 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

its a nice car.. but come on if a 4 door beat him he needs more mods too i don't believe in mods.. they are the anti turkey eveyone have a good holiday.. an drink lots of good stuff
You don't believe in mods? Good one Phil!