General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

You know you're a VQ driver when...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 12:48 PM

when walking to class and you take the long way so you can look at your car as you walk by......and your friends know that you do
Old 03-22-2002, 01:57 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

you know a thread is good when people post on it and they never post anywhere else.
Old 03-23-2002, 01:29 AM

When you complain about not having OEM LSD power .
Old 03-23-2002, 05:50 AM

...when you are opening the door to your car and see a Grand Prix GTP drive by... you jump in and race after him just to see if he can really beat you...

oh.. he didn't

...when you work the night shift, and you park your car in a handicapped spot just so you can look at it all night

...if some ba$tard dings your door with his and you threaten to kick his a$$ even though he is nearly twice your size

...if you are so mad he is scared

...if you ever drive your car somewhere for no reason at all

...if you pass another max under wot just to see what kind of reaction you will get

...if you ever follow a max just to see what it looks like from the outside

...if you day dream about your car more than girls

...if you wish your car was a girl

...if you consider maxima.org a "normal" weekend activity

...if you hate mustangs...(personal peeve)
Old 03-23-2002, 08:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

if in a fight the opposing team feels its necessary to kick your door leaving a hardly noticeable dent, yet making you show up after the fight at 3 in the morning with sledgehammers and bats and end up totalling a brand new SUV. o yea.... and not regretting what u did
Old 07-05-2002, 10:22 AM
has VQ envy =)

You know your not a VQ Drive

when your car is the number one selling car in America.

when you dont need 3.5 litre engine for more torque and speed, just a 5 speed manual and 3.2 litre to help out.

when you see 5 accords at a stoplight(really happens alot where I live) but only see a few maxima's a week.

you know that no domestic family car can touch you unless they have a V8 in them.

when your engine is a smooth as butter and can't even feel it and barely hear it even at WOT.

Hello everyone, ae you can see I am not a nissan lover like you. I am a Honda purist and current v6 accord owner. You all say that the accord is slower than your car. It's true but it won't be soon. The new Accord will have 240 3.2 litre SOHC Vtec or DOHC I-Vtec engine with 5 speed manual. This should even the playing field.

I read all of the thread and saw what you all put. Someone put how slow an ES 300 is, of corse it is slow, it has the IS 300 engine and it weighs more and is only automatic. You all claim to be so fast and yet none of you mention a 3.2 CL Type-S as a slow car. Now that this car comes in 6 speed manual, it can easily keep up with a 2002 Mustang GT 5 speed. The TL Type-S is no joke either and has a better tranny than the Maxima's do with it's Sportshift mode. All I am saying is that you are not the only people with great import cars.

SteVTEC was once a proud owner of a v6 accord as well. I think he should have waited before buying a Maxima for the new Accord IMO. He is still a great guy but his switch over to Nissan was something I though that would never happen. Hey Stevtec, I forgot why you don't have you Accord anymore?

Now this thing with the civic's and integra's, I do not support any type of riced out cars. I hate seeing them riced out as much as you all do. But you all make it seem as though Honda is the one ricing them out. Honda has nothing to do with it at all and it was by faith that the civic became the riced out car that some people make it into. It hurts me even more cause it was once a great car and the owner ripped it apart and threw on cheap a$$ **** to make it (look better ).

Go ahead flame away to make yourselves feel better, but you all know you will not be the only fast ones soon .
Old 07-05-2002, 10:38 AM

Re: You know your not a VQ Drive

[i]Originally posted by PlumAccordCoupe

when you dont need 3.5 litre engine for more torque and speed, just a 5 speed manual and 3.2 litre to help out.
Apparently you missed something called the VQ which is only 3 litre and it still kicks your butt.

when you see 5 accords at a stoplight(really happens alot where I live) but only see a few maxima's a week.
Wow, you drive the same car as soccer moms! Good for you!

you know that no domestic family car can touch you unless they have a V8 in them.
Join the club.

when your engine is a smooth as butter and can't even feel it and barely hear it even at WOT.
You show your ignorance here. The VQ is one of the smoothest revving engines you will EVER hear. or not hear.

Hello everyone, ae you can see I am not a nissan lover like you. I am a Honda purist and current v6 accord owner. You all say that the accord is slower than your car. It's true but it won't be soon. The new Accord will have 240 3.2 litre SOHC Vtec or DOHC I-Vtec engine with 5 speed manual. This should even the playing field.
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard this excuse.

SteVTEC was once a proud owner of a v6 accord as well. I think he should have waited before buying a Maxima for the new Accord IMO. He is still a great guy but his switch over to Nissan was something I though that would never happen. Hey Stevtec, I forgot why you don't have you Accord anymore?
Steve got into an accident. And has been loving every minute of his Maxima, haven't you Steve?

Now this thing with the civic's and integra's, I do not support any type of riced out cars. I hate seeing them riced out as much as you all do.
Good. The honor of good taste thanks you.

Go ahead flame away to make yourselves feel better, but you all know you will not be the only fast ones soon.
See above. Need some nickels.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:40 AM

When you've just Killed a suppose to be fast car in race by 4-5 car lengths and there mouth is hanging wild open becuase of disbelief!!!
Old 07-05-2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by PlumAccordCoupe

I read all of the thread and saw what you all put. Someone put how slow an ES 300 is, of corse it is slow, it has the IS 300 engine and it weighs more and is only automatic. You all claim to be so fast and yet none of you mention a 3.2 CL Type-S as a slow car. Now that this car comes in 6 speed manual, it can easily keep up with a 2002 Mustang GT 5 speed. The TL Type-S is no joke either and has a better tranny than the Maxima's do with it's Sportshift mode. All I am saying is that you are not the only people with great import cars.

Now this thing with the civic's and integra's, I do not support any type of riced out cars. I hate seeing them riced out as much as you all do. But you all make it seem as though Honda is the one ricing them out. Honda has nothing to do with it at all and it was by faith that the civic became the riced out car that some people make it into. It hurts me even more cause it was once a great car and the owner ripped it apart and threw on cheap a$$ **** to make it (look better ).

Go ahead flame away to make yourselves feel better, but you all know you will not be the only fast ones soon .
well basically i have no disrespect for hondas. i love built eg+ek s and would very much like a toy hatch to play with. but it still remains that motor for motor the vq is a better motor the the accords v6. before i bought my maxima i sold cars for honda and toyota. my mom owned a 97i30. so basically i was able to drive all three cars.

empresions on the camry were this is just a little to old for me. didn't like it.

2nd was the accord v6 off course. nice car good handling. nice power in the motor but there is just something i didn't like about the accord. the pedals didn't feel as smooth kind of rough. and a few other things that i just not like.

out of the 3 cars the maxima was the one that impressed me the most. keeping in that i had a open mind while driving all 3 cars. this one grabed my attention. it had an aggressive styling. very nice interior (i think it was the black) and the power was a lot better than the accords. with very smooth handling and pedal feel. it was just the better car. and the prices were all around the same. ound for pound the maxima is the better car.

now i have no control over what is gonna come out. you say the accord is gonna have a new motor???

well if you want to go there the maxima is coming out with a new model to???? and romor has it its gonna be a monster. and take out what accord or whatever you like has to offer...... ok im done
Old 07-05-2002, 11:05 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

you walk into your garage and you can't help but stop for a moment and look over its sexy body!
Old 07-05-2002, 11:16 AM

WHEN YOU ARE JEALOUS AND HAVE THE TIME TO TYPE UP A PARAGRAPH IN JEALOUSY.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:17 AM

.....when you can do your oil change, including oil filter, on all four standing tires...

.....when you have 18's and yet it's still faster cuz of the y-pipe...

.....when you can hound some fast cars costing twice as much in traffic, and sometimes not in traffic...

.....when you do tripple takes leaving the parking lot to....anywhere..

.....logging on to see what your next mod will be....

.....it's maxima.org first, then your email.....
Old 07-05-2002, 11:37 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Other VQ drivers constantly ask you if it's ok to put 87 octane in the car.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:50 AM

when gurls think that you are borrowing your grandfathers car(talking about a stock maxima)
Old 07-05-2002, 01:22 PM

...when the cops don't really notice you but see the Civic making half the power next to you.
Old 07-05-2002, 02:18 PM

when you beat a Mustang 5.0 at the track, and later a friend tells you that friends of the Mustang owner were talking smack about how much slow a Maxima is...
Old 07-05-2002, 02:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by kalbundy
...when you keep talking and talking bout the things you learned on the org to ur friends and faimly and they look at u like u need help.

...when u mention the word maxima to someone and they go, "oh lord"

when the intake whistles and you ......well ya'll remember that thread

when you make donations to the org

when your coworkers ALSO get excited about the box with the maxspeed springs, short throw shifter,rear sway bar, etc, etc etc

when the mechanic calls you to tell you it's time for your oil change...and he just did it yesterday

when same mechanic takes car out for test driving after installing rsb and doesn't want to go back to work (thank GOD I was in the car dude was serious!!)

when you make your own CUSTOM e-brake boot

when a midget on a mini-motorcycle runs into my car and gets 4 tickets.....and the cop gives me his phone number

when a dude walks into a tree cause he was to busy rubber necking the car and not looking where he was going

you use you status as the person who orders books at the library to purchase anything that relates to the 5th gen max
Old 07-05-2002, 02:45 PM

So I guess all of this smack you're talking is because your slow right?????

I mean not just slow at the track but even mentally. The title of the thread is "You know your a VQ driver when......." and then you post something stupid. Who cares about your slow V6 Accord and who cares about the newer Accord. You look out for the new Max. I truely don't think we have much to worry about from Honduh.
Old 07-05-2002, 02:46 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

so you see 4CYL accord 5-spd wow, how many 5 and 6 speed 6cyl accords do you see, NONE.

VQ is the smoothest V6 around, won Ward's Best engine award 8 YEARS in a row, i don't see Honduh's on there for that long.

domestic cars are all slow, when they can only get about equal power out of a 4.6L V8 i can't respect that.

our engines are eiry quiet stock, add some mods and listen to that sweet sound of power as you pull on that Accord or CL/TL-s
Old 07-05-2002, 03:24 PM

SteVTEC was once a proud owner of a v6 accord as well. I think he should have waited before buying a Maxima for the new Accord IMO.

are you serious?? even wtih 10000000000000hp vtec @ 1000000000000000000rpm it'll still be ugly as hell!
http://beta.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=17782

T/CLS got better tranny?? really how come theres a tranny failure section in acuracl/tl.com

we never said maxima are the best import cars from japan.
Old 07-05-2002, 04:26 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

cars are getting very ugly
Old 07-05-2002, 05:59 PM

Who said the 5th gens were ugly?
Old 07-05-2002, 06:03 PM

You know you drive a VQ ....

when you can get any aftermarket muffler and it doesnt sound like a fart can.

when you and 3 of your closest friends take a road trip to daytona for spring break and you hear no complants about leg room.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:06 PM

You make a post on this thread
Old 07-05-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by bandera311
When you go five miles under the speed limit so you can talk to the stranger in the maxima next to you and tell them about the .org (last night)
I probably do that once or twice a weak...

you know when.... during a maxima meet you talk about the same mod you've had for 2 years like it was brand new!
...you go "blah" everytime you see a maxima with orange bumper lenses
Old 07-05-2002, 07:34 PM

are you serious?? even wtih 10000000000000hp vtec @ 1000000000000000000rpm it'll still be ugly as hell!
http://beta.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=17782

T/CLS got better tranny?? really how come theres a tranny failure section in acuracl/tl.com

we never said maxima are the best import cars from japan.
I haven't see this pic before today, but it looks like a Saturn. . . Not my idea of what a car company should base a design off of, but to each their own.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:44 PM

You know your a honda driver if....

-When both domestic and Japanese people make fun of your car.
-When you have dozens of sites making fun of your car.
-When you invest $2000 dollars in gadgets just to get blown away by a Maxima, Mustang, Camry, Corolla, Metro, etc.
-When You have a car that looks like this and think its a sports car.

-When you plow into the back of an innocent driver and have no common courtesy to check if they are OK.
-When you have a really, really big tip on the back of the car.

-Cause the car insurance in your town because you think you have Super Honda Driving Skill...that was dealer installed.

-For real, its Honda Drivers that hurt people, cause insurance to skyrocket, cause aggressive driving, and drive like idiots. If you see a honda gathering I want all Nissan drivers, Toyota Drivers, Mustang Drivers, etc to laugh at them, throw your can of soda at them, whatever. Because its these idiots that cause accidents and police to wait on every corner, not other cars.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:45 PM

You know when.....

.... You kick the crapp out of a WRX on the highway, when you have 4 friends in the car with you. Yes that make 5 people in the max, one in the WRX, and 5+ cars in between!!!

.... When your friend tries to drive your car, puts it in reverse (6th) and drives forward (without shudder)

.... When the new service guy tries to back-up your car and puts it into 6th and drives forward wrecking your front end.

.... When you floor it next to a Jersey wall just to hear the motor Roar!!!

By the way, I love how a honda guys feels the need to post their crap here. Moderators, please delete that post!!! This was for us. F@G!
Old 07-05-2002, 07:45 PM

Re: You know your a honda driver if....

Sorry I left out this one picture
Old 07-05-2002, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

In that case, I'm definitely a VQ driver.. 19,200 Miles in 6months
4000 miles in my first month with my 1995 Maxima SE 5-spd

Oh yeah, you know you are a VQ driver when...

... your easy footed girlfriend drives your car and says "its so easy to speed in this thing" and has to use cruise control to not speed more than 20 over

... you take the long way to your destination

... you love watching a tailgater disappear in your rear view mirror in a matter of seconds, when you downshift on the freeway

... your stock Maxima can beat 99% of stock cars out there and most of the modded ones too

... you pull a high 14, low 15 stock at the track and every non-Maxima owner wonders what mods you have done to your car

That's all for now... I love my VQ!
Old 07-05-2002, 10:33 PM
Former Sponsor

when you drive your friends Honda and you just bust out laughing cuz when you get on the gas it just doesnt go anywhere!! (did that last night I was like dude... you gota see my Maxima)

when two ex girlfriends wana become your gfs again when they see your car hehe (well maybe it was only part of it) when your ex's friend always calls you up to "hang" out and raves about your car

when you thinkof another car to buy for a second car... and after all considerations.. all you can think of is a Maxima
Old 07-05-2002, 11:01 PM
has VQ envy =)

"Apparently you missed something called the VQ which is only 3 litre and it still kicks your butt."

First off the new max has 3.5 litre engines, you all need to stop making up specs for your cars. Let me get into a CL-S and well see who is kicking who's butt.

"The secret behind this amazing V6 is VQ technology, which combines race-bred engineering, friction-reducing measures, and the use of lightweight metals. It features a tuned exhaust (equal-length exhaust pipes), microfinished crankshaft and camshafts, molybdenum-coated pistons and, new for 2002, the advanced breathing techniques of a variable-intake system and continuously variable valve timing."

Some of you said that you have no valve timimg and no variable intake but lookey here, it says it has both. And all of the stuff found on this engine is also found on TL-S,CL-S engines. Not even the new Max has VSA, (Vehicle Stability Assist) to help in the prevent of a slide. The CL-S 6 speed has a helical limited slip differential (LSD) for beter turning. Car and driver said and I quote "the best front wheel drive car we have ever driven".

"You show your ignorance here. The VQ is one of the smoothest revving engines you will EVER hear. or not hear."

This is your own opinion about this. And just cause the engine won some award for 8 years doesn't mean that it's the best thing since sliced bread. Has the maxima itself ever win and awards no, new slogen, Awards Maxima's won-0. The accord has been car and drivers ten best for 15 years, beat that .

"See above. Need some nickels."

You might want to save those nickels cause you will need them for turning around on the highway after lossing to the new Accord. If you don't believe me, see at the end of July when they reveal the new Accord.

"are you serious?? even wtih 10000000000000hp vtec @ 1000000000000000000rpm it'll still be ugly as hell!"

I'm sorry what makes you think your car looks any better. I think a new Altima looks ten times better than Max. Even my car looks better than the Max old or new. And those are pics taken from the European Accord according to some sites.

"For real, its Honda Drivers that hurt people, cause insurance to skyrocket, cause aggressive driving, and drive like idiots. If you see a honda gathering I want all Nissan drivers, Toyota Drivers, Mustang Drivers, etc to laugh at them, throw your can of soda at them, whatever. Because its these idiots that cause accidents and police to wait on every corner, not other cars."

What is this ****, I just went to a car meet in my area and saw 3 sentra's that looked like **** on a stick. Honda is not the reason for high insurance and you should be hit by a car for saying that j/k. It's true that Honda is the number one car for ricers but don't blame Honda, blame the idiots that do that to them. Lets set one thing right, at least me and most of you hear have better taste than most of the ricers and domestic crap out there. Companies like Toyota,Honda,Nissan,Acura,Lexus, and Infiniti turn out the best cars today and none of you can deny that as a fact .
Old 07-05-2002, 11:07 PM

I'm sorry what makes you think your car looks any better. I think a new Altima looks ten times better than Max. Even my car looks better than the Max old or new. And those are pics taken from the European Accord according to some sites.
I'm sorry what makes you think your car looks any better. I think old accord looks ten times better than new accord. Even my car looks better than the accord old or new.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:21 PM
Former Sponsor

"For real, its Honda Drivers that hurt people, cause insurance to skyrocket, cause aggressive driving, and drive like idiots. If you see a honda gathering I want all Nissan drivers, Toyota Drivers, Mustang Drivers, etc to laugh at them, throw your can of soda at them, whatever. Because its these idiots that cause accidents and police to wait on every corner, not other cars."

What is this ****, I just went to a car meet in my area and saw 3 sentra's that looked like **** on a stick. Honda is not the reason for high insurance and you should be hit by a car for saying that j/k. It's true that Honda is the number one car for ricers but don't blame Honda, blame the idiots that do that to them. Lets set one thing right, at least me and most of you hear have better taste than most of the ricers and domestic crap out there. Companies like Toyota,Honda,Nissan,Acura,Lexus, and Infiniti turn out the best cars today and none of you can deny that as a fact .

blah blah blah... that said... lets take out cars to the track see what Honda VTEC Accord Cpe is made out of... I guarantee we'll see which engine is better
Old 07-05-2002, 11:24 PM
Former Sponsor

even without variable valve timing and a variable intake manifold my Max will smoke my friends '01 TL-S with intake, headers, chip and exhaust
Old 07-06-2002, 12:05 AM

your a 5th gen.....

when your SES light comes on

when you need a new TCM

when you need new solenoids

when you need new rotors because they warped at 10,000miles

when you need to turn down the bass on the woofer because its rattling the **** out of the trunk lid

when your engine chirps because its rocking on busted mounts

when your rear skips over big bumps
Old 07-06-2002, 12:33 AM

You know you're a VQ driver when....

You're car impresses so many co-workers that where there was once just you're Max in the parking lot, now there are 6. (Migrating from 3Acuras, a Honda, & a 325i.)

You think more highly of other Maxima drivers on the road because of the car they drive.
Instant greater respect!
Old 07-06-2002, 12:49 AM

Toyota Camry is #1 selling car in America.

We have 3.0 engines that can hand you your *** on a platter. Don't even try to put yourself on the same pedestal with our 3.5... even with your "new" i-vtec 240HP mumbo jumbo. Maxima will always be in a higher league compared to Honda in terms of performance, luxury and looks.

Our Maximas can keep up with those V8s that you lose to

I read all of the thread and saw what you all put. Someone put how slow an ES 300 is, of corse it is slow, it has the IS 300 engine and it weighs more and is only automatic.
The ES300 has a 3.0L V6. The IS300 has a 3.0L inline 6. The IS300 has the option of a 6-spd manual. The older ES300s come with 5-spd manuals.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:13 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

you're in a 5th gen....

...if youre running on your second MAF sensor.
Old 07-06-2002, 03:51 AM

Re: Re: You know your not a VQ Drive

Originally posted by speedemn

The ES300 has a 3.0L V6. The IS300 has a 3.0L inline 6. The IS300 has the option of a 6-spd manual. The older ES300s come with 5-spd manuals.
Yep, ES300 has a Camry engine while the IS has a slightly detuned GS300 engine.

Quick Reply: You know you're a VQ driver when...