General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

You know you're a VQ driver when...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 06:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go Home Jr.

WHO F'n Cares!!!! I don't come and look what the honda boys are saying, why are you over here looking at what we say??? Oh, is it because you WISH you would have bought a MAX??? Or maybe you are just jealous, or scared, whatever the reason, we dont give a F!CK!!!

Go back to your board and talk all the Sh** you want but shut the helll up here!
Old 07-06-2002, 08:36 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: You know when.....

Originally posted by dblrr900

.... When your friend tries to drive your car, puts it in reverse (6th) and drives forward (without shudder)

you have no idea how often my friends do that, ALL THE TIME.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When all your friends refer to your car as "The Beast"...

When you're traveling on the Parkway on your way to the beach and a Maxima just like yours comes up next to you and gives you the thumbs up...Mutual Respect is a beautiful thing..
Old 07-06-2002, 08:49 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: You know your not a VQ Drive

Hi guys. Sorry! My bad. I linked this thread over at AccordV6.com just to demonstrate how much everybody that owns a VQ freakin LOVES it and how there aren't any posts like this for the Honda V6's.

I didn't realize Plum was a "Honda purist" though. I thought he was a little more open-minded. Oh well ;-)

Originally posted by PlumAccordCoupe
The new Accord will have 240 3.2 litre SOHC Vtec or DOHC I-Vtec engine with 5 speed manual. This should even the playing field.
Not. All sources are now saying the 3.0 is being carried over. I bet the Accord will get a tweaked version with about 215 HP. Honda doesn't want to kill their 225 HP TL sales so 240 is unlikely, IMO.

SteVTEC was once a proud owner of a v6 accord as well. I think he should have waited before buying a Maxima for the new Accord IMO. He is still a great guy but his switch over to Nissan was something I though that would never happen. Hey Stevtec, I forgot why you don't have you Accord anymore?
Why no Accord for me anymore? THIS is why. In all seriousness though, I was going to trade it even before it got rear-ended/totalled. I was tired of the automatic and lack of performance, and almost getting run off the road by crazy SUV drivers and not having enough "reserve" power to get them off my azz and lay the smack down when needed.

I guess there are a lot of Honda "purists" like you, but I'm not one of them. The only brand loyalty I have is to Japan. I used to own a Honda. Now I own a Nissan. My fiance just bought a Toyota. Both of my parents drive Camry's. My sister drives a Jetta and it's a POS!

Go ahead flame away to make yourselves feel better, but you all know you will not be the only fast ones soon :cool : .
Your hopes are pinned on horsepower you're not going to see unless you save up a couple extra grand in cash, bend over, and buy an Acura for just a few extra parts in the engine, a few extra lines of code in the ECU worth about $500 wholesale probably while the remaining 99.9% of the car is the same as the Accord.

[B"You show your ignorance here. The VQ is one of the smoothest revving engines you will EVER hear. or not hear."

This is your own opinion about this. And just cause the engine won some award for 8 years doesn't mean that it's the best thing since sliced bread. Has the maxima itself ever win and awards no, new slogen, Awards Maxima's won-0. The accord has been car and drivers ten best for 15 years, beat that[/b]
We're talking about ENGINES here. People are here and own Maxima's because they want PERFORMANCE first and everything else comes second. Having an awesome engine is the KEY to having good performance, and the Nissan VQ *IS* that engine in the V6 world.

Ward's 10 Best Engines list isn't just "some" award. It's an elite list of the finest engines in the world. Only the BEST engines make it. It says a lot about how amazing an engine really is when a Nissan VQ that anybody can buy at their corner Nissan dealer ranks right up there with the finest engines from Porsche, Mercedes, and BMW. The Accord V6's J30A1 is a nice engine, but it's not in the same league as the Nissan VQ. I always try to keep an open mind, and don't allow myself to get blinded by "purist" visions and mentalities, so I can and HAVE seen the light

Originally posted by CRMax
Steve got into an accident. And has been loving every minute of his Maxima, haven't you Steve?
Aww yeah baby!

In the Accord I always took the short way to work. In the Maxima I always took the long way. And I have to go bring my fiance some lunch at the hospital now (she's on call :-( ) but I'm already pumped up to drive the Max again! hehehe

I still don't regret buying the Accord, though. It's a great car but just not for me. When Honda makes a "Maxima" (a 4-door sedan with a world-class V6 and a STICK shift) I could just as easily be back in a Honda again.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:01 AM

First off the new max has 3.5 litre engines, you all need to stop making up specs for your cars. Let me get into a CL-S and well see who is kicking who's butt.
You're a dope!!!!

Some of you said that you have no valve timimg and no variable intake but lookey here, it says it has both. And all of the stuff found on this engine is also found on TL-S,CL-S engines. Not even the new Max has VSA, (Vehicle Stability Assist) to help in the prevent of a slide. The CL-S 6 speed has a helical limited slip differential (LSD) for beter turning. Car and driver said and I quote "the best front wheel drive car we have ever driven".
So what???? You're still slow.

This is your own opinion about this. And just cause the engine won some award for 8 years doesn't mean that it's the best thing since sliced bread.
The VQ is one of the best engines out, deal with it!

You might want to save those nickels cause you will need them for turning around on the highway after lossing to the new Accord. If you don't believe me, see at the end of July when they reveal the new Accord.
You're stupid.

I'm sorry what makes you think your car looks any better. I think a new Altima looks ten times better than Max. Even my car looks better than the Max old or new. And those are pics taken from the European Accord according to some sites.
Maxima's do look better than Accords.

What is this ****, I just went to a car meet in my area and saw 3 sentra's that looked like **** on a stick. Honda is not the reason for high insurance and you should be hit by a car for saying that j/k. It's true that Honda is the number one car for ricers but don't blame Honda, blame the idiots that do that to them. Lets set one thing right, at least me and most of you hear have better taste than most of the ricers and domestic crap out there. Companies like Toyota,Honda,Nissan,Acura,Lexus, and Infiniti turn out the best cars today and none of you can deny that as a fact .
Honda drivers do suck. The more riced out they are, the worse off our streets are with the farts coming from their exhaust and seats laid back so far, the driver can even see past the gauge cluster. Oh yeah, I have an Accord too and its slow.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:03 AM

You Know you're a VQ Driver when....

...if your "less powerful" 190 HP engine was theoretically swapped into the "more powerful" 200 HP competition, THEIR car would actually be faster with YOUR ENGINE!

Check out these CarTest2000 simulation results I did with an Accord V6 with the standard J30A1 engine and then swapped with the 4th Gen VQ30DE engine.

Originally posted by SteVTEC @ AccordV6.com
What I did for this discussion is first baseline the Gen6 Accord V6 model and checked to see if it was accurate. It was - data below. Then I "swapped" in the 190HP/205T 95-99 Nissan VQ30DE engine while leaving everything else unchanged. And just for the hell of it, I swapped in the 194HP/209T Toyota 1MZ-FE (non-VVT-i) engine too.

The results are below.

0-60, 1/4 mile ET/speed, top speed
AV6 J30A1 : 7.72, 16.11 @ 87.89, 132
AV6 VQ30DE: 7.54, 15.94 @ 88.64, 134
AV6 1MZ-FE: 7.45, 15.94 @ 89.21, 136
95 Max/4AT: 7.66, 15.88 @ 88.67, 136 (just for comparison)

This is dissapointing! Even to ME!
Even I was upset, having been an ex-Accord V6 owner. Honda successfully tricked me into thinking that 200 HP was more than 190 HP, but in this case it isn't.

I never make the same mistake twice, though. It's all about torque, baby.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:28 AM
jun

vq driver

when you hang out outside the grocery store for 30 minutes in the middle of winter just to make sure no carts would hit your max while your wife goes food shopping
Old 07-06-2002, 09:30 AM

when you tell people you drive a maxima "and they go wow, those r nice"
Old 07-06-2002, 09:52 AM

Re: Re: You know your not a VQ Drive

Originally posted by SteVTEC

I still don't regret buying the Accord, though. It's a great car but just not for me. When Honda makes a "Maxima" (a 4-door sedan with a world-class V6 and a STICK shift) I could just as easily be back in a Honda again.
thats becuase you lost like $50 bucks driving the accord for half a year
Old 07-06-2002, 11:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: You know your not a VQ Drive

Originally posted by costcowholesale
thats becuase you lost like $50 bucks driving the accord for half a year
Actually, it was a full year (and 30,000 miles), and I might have made " one or two"

thousand

Old 07-06-2002, 11:57 AM

• You're on a 3 week vacation w/o da Max & you've got serious Maxima withdrawal symptoms
  • yearning to get back home from vacation to wash the Max & drive it around the city on the same night as returning from the 3 week vacation!
  • while on vacation on the other side of the country, going to a local Max Meet will be the trip's highlight
  • You're normally frugal wife is the one who suggests getting a Stillen skirt b/c the Max will "look more sporty"
  • Your wife & you compete to see who'll get to drive the Max next time b/c it has a 5-spd gearbox & it handles so nice
  • tossing around other Max enthusiasts in the rear leather seats when going around corners (even when they have their seatbelts on)
  • when you think a reclining racing seat w/ racing harness should have come stock with the Max
Old 07-06-2002, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by StygianMax
  • tossing around other Max enthusiasts in the rear leather seats when going around corners (even when they have their seatbelts on)
shuddup yr leather is too slippery

if the civic was stick you wouldn't miss your max that much. & u could have gave it to me for three weeks I would have washed it
Old 07-06-2002, 11:46 PM

...When your girlfriend is jealous of Maxine

...When you zone out your girl to listen to the hum of a v2

...When you own a 90 SE and and AE just cuz you mother had a 88 SE

...When it takes you 15 mins to pick one to go to work in

...When you spend 20g's on just mods.

...When an M3 beats you but asked how you hung with
Old 07-07-2002, 10:21 AM
2K1HoMax

....when we all keep postin here, just to make a longer thread to "out-do" the VW thread. buy hey whos complaining, lets all keep on whorin.... peace

Old 07-07-2002, 05:55 PM

....When you try to teach your girl to drive a 6spd and she just cant get it. She drives a "normal" car and does fine, comes back to the Max and get pi$$ed because it has "too much ba11s"
Old 07-07-2002, 07:21 PM

....when your friends all put their seatbelts on when they get in your car.

....when you stay home all day when your next mod is supposed to arrive waiting for the UPS man.

....when you point out a Maxima everytime you see one on tv (grinning at the same time).

....when you put in overtime at work to add to your savings for more mods.

....when you invite your friends over to show them the new Maxima video someone recently posted.

....when you have a Maxima on the desktop of your pc.
Old 07-07-2002, 07:54 PM

I cant believe no one posted this one yet!!!

---when you drive in circles around a "glass" building to see yourself in the relfection, because you look sooooo good!!!

okay, I got more!

---when you have a two car garage, and three cars, but the maxima get the garage all to its self...and its not the newest car you own either!

---when you get depressed and don't know what to do because you haven't driven your max in over 6 months

---when you race someone and lose in your other car, and your friends say to the other guy, "your lucky we weren't in the Maxima!"

---when you go to the street races and ALL the Honda's are scared of you!

---when you try to race a S2000, and he doesn't want to

---when the owner of the speed shop is bragging to his other customers about your car!

---when the owner of the speed shop finally finishes his non-street legal "drag civic" and wants to race you at the track!

okay, I better stop now.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:53 PM
nc00max

When you spend a half hour reading this thread...

When you spend the last 3 days driving an '88 and a '99 M3, yet you're happy to get back to the Maxima.

Old 07-08-2002, 12:43 PM

When your walkin away from the car, and "check" to see if the alarm set, but actually just lookin at your baby.

when it takes an average driver 8 seconds to pass a car and you can do it in 3

When someone ask if you would be interested in selling, and your heart sinks

#1 reason: if your sitting at your work desk, risking the job laughin your *** off at how true this is, and how many of them you think are directed at you!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 03:45 PM

When, even though you try as hard as you possibly can, you can't help but talk smack on all your non VQ driving friends every time you seen them. (damn near getting knocked out at times )

When the police ignore the corvette and stare at you when you drive by.

When you curse the Damned grasshoper invasion everyday cause you spend more time at the carwash blasting away little green corpses at least 3-4 times a week.

When you refuse to waste the pressious $1.40 something fuel on a four banger, but save it for your own personal pleasure on the highway later.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:28 PM
syc

.........when you know your VQ are
9)microfinished to reduce friction and increase performance-just like F1 race cars
8)it fuel-efficient
7)built in one of the industry's most advance engine plants
6)its crankshaft is triple-forged for durability
5)it's composed of lightweight aluminum alloy for quicker acceleration
4)it's attached to the overall #1-selling 6-cyc import sedan
3)it has light weight pistons and connecting rods for excellent throttle response
2)it's compact design to make our car more aerodynamic
1) It was inspired by the legendary Z.

(from nissan maxima ad)
Old 07-09-2002, 09:26 PM

... You know when...

... Just to get set in your seat for a long trip, you punch it and get "set" back in you seat (for the long trip)!

... A ricer actually nods "no" when you waggle you index finger towards the road in front.

... You swear the 25 300-series bimmers in front of the dealership
grimace when you drive by.

... when you can say
"OK, everyone strapped in. Quit hitting your brother, Taylor.
When the green light goes off on that tree, Daddy's going to get down this strip as fast as possible and beat that 14.5 from the last family outing!"

Shaydz
Old 07-09-2002, 09:32 PM

Re: ... You know when...

Originally posted by Shaydz
... Just to get set in your seat for a long trip, you punch it and get "set" back in you seat (for the long trip)!

... A ricer actually nods "no" when you waggle you index finger towards the road in front.

... You swear the 25 300-series bimmers in front of the dealership
grimace when you drive by.

... when you can say
"OK, everyone strapped in. Quit hitting your brother, Taylor.
When the green light goes off on that tree, Daddy's going to get down this strip as fast as possible and beat that 14.5 from the last family outing!"

Shaydz
that last one is a classic
Old 07-09-2002, 09:51 PM
VQ Wizard

You know you're a VQ driver when

You order a license plate from the DMV that says "VQ35DE"

You regularly troll a message board called Maxima.org only to see some insanely jealous Accord driver cry and whine about how good the next Accord will be. All because he drives a current slow Accordian and can't afford the fictional model he's dreaming about anyways.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:36 AM

Re: You know you're a VQ driver when

Originally posted by SR20DEN
You regularly troll a message board called Maxima.org only to see some insanely jealous Accord driver cry and whine about how good the next Accord will be. All because he drives a current slow Accordian and can't afford the fictional model he's dreaming about anyways.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by SR20DEN
You order a license plate from the DMV that says "VQ35DE"

Your license plate from the DMV says "6spd2k2"

Oh so true!!
Old 07-10-2002, 11:43 AM

You know you're a VQ driver when

When you speak to or see people you haven't heard from in a while and when they ask how you are you reply "Great. I got a new car. A Maxima 2003,. You goota see this baby, it has... ... ..."

When all you talk about to friends is how great your new car is and how much better you like it than your last car (300M in my case). At the same time you are insulted when a friend does not ask how your new car is.

When your mom asks "How come you didn't have this much interest in any of your other cars?".
Old 07-10-2002, 01:36 PM

when you race a guy in a civic at a red light and smoke him by about 6 car lengths and at the next red light he ask if you supercharged(happened last night )
Old 07-10-2002, 02:22 PM

when your tailgatin a ricer at 90+ mph on the interstate, and when you get an open you gun it and look at his confused face in the rearview saying "A PHUCKIN MAXIMA!?!?!"
Old 07-10-2002, 09:27 PM
Kal

when your washing something outside with the garden hose and you start watering down your car to get all the dirt off, and you get excited by seeing the water just slide right off the car. (infiniti dealer wax, good stuff)
Old 07-10-2002, 10:09 PM

When you see this ad in Auto Rental News (I work for Enterprise Rent A Car):

And you go around showing all your coworkers. . . And they all agree or own one already.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:44 PM

When you dream your parents traded in your Maxima for a Mustang convertible and the next morning give a sigh of relief that your Maxima is still in the driveway.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:59 PM
aka UNCDooD

haha..i stumbled across this thread when i was searching for something but forgot what after I finished reading it. oh well, i'll just revive this thread.

You know your a VQDriver when...

-you get groceries in your race car

-you have maxima.org set as your homepage

-you leave in between classes and during breaks just to get a VQ fix.

Old 11-17-2002, 08:05 PM

your tranny grinds on your 2-3 shift and nissan says they can't duplicate the problem even when the tech was in the car when you did it.
rattles
did i say rattles?
warped brake rotors at 10k miles
your 15hp short of what you paid for and nissan advertised.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2
your tranny grinds on your 2-3 shift and nissan says they can't duplicate the problem even when the tech was in the car when you did it.
rattles
did i say rattles?
warped brake rotors at 10k miles
your 15hp short of what you paid for and nissan advertised.
no that's just when you own an 02+

The X5 is your next car of the week now?
Old 11-17-2002, 08:22 PM

ya mostly for 2k2 guys, like i've said my 95 was better to me.

and ya lol i still really want a G35 but i'm getting myself into WAYU too much trouble with fast cars and i don't want to hurt myself or someone else or lose my license so i've decided i need somethign with a little power but a lot of PIMP i want an X5 but i don't know if i can afford one. i'm looking at a used one, and if not i like the ML430, from the front at least lol.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:42 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Old 11-17-2002, 11:53 PM

you know your a VQ driver when....

your girl says "you love that car more than you love me"
your older cousin sells his Honda s2000 for a 350z, me the middle cousin has a 2k max, and your younger cousin sells his 96 acura legend for a sentra spec v SE r.
when your father that has a HIGHLY modded Camaro finds any excuse for you to take him somewhere and constantly tells you to go around this fool, so he can feel the vq when i drop 2 gears and mash it.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:33 AM

You know you own a VQ when you don't have as much Hp as you are told.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:46 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

You know when your a VQ driver...

You know when your a VQ driver...

- Even though your car's rear lights are smashed up and is not legally drivable you still take it out on the back roads at late at night just to here to sound of the VQ at redline and to drive the car thru the twisties, waiting for the day the car will be repaired by the body shop. (which is this week by the way!!!! )

- You spend more time on the .Org than any other website on the web.

- When your girlfriend tells you its either her or to stop driving the Maxima over the speed limit, you choose the Maxima. (What was I thinking? She liked minivans ! and never once drove over the speed limit or enjoyed driving)

Quick Reply: You know you're a VQ driver when...