General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got a Ticket. Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 07:13 AM

Got a Ticket. Now What?

The cop said he clocked me doing 67 in a 45. I thought it was a 55 zone. But Anyways, Is 67 in a 45 wreckless driving? The officer was courteous and nice. He also told me not to pay off the ticket. He told me to go to Court and ask the judge for a reduction.

Should I get a lawyer? I did have a Prayer for Judgement (I had gone to the Driver's Ed directly) but this time he said that I could not go directly as I was doing 22 over the limit. He asked me to go to court and ask the Judge to give me a PJC. Do Judges do that? BTW my last ticket was 75 in a 60 in October 98. The officer said I am eligible for one more PJC in a 5 year timeframe so I should not have any problems and that the judge will just reduce the speed and may or may not ask me to go to drivers ed and give me the Prayer for Judgement. Is it that simple or should I look for a Lawyer?

BTW. This is in Charlotte, NC (Mecklengurg County)

Thanks

And yes, this was a new road which I don't take to work everyday. And yes I know speeding is bad. Please don't post things like Don't speed in the future coz I damn well know that I ain't speeding more than 5 - 7 mile over the limit and I am also going to keep an eye out for the speed signs so that I know what is the correct limit.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do what the officer told you to do
Old 03-21-2002, 07:19 AM

Get advice from a lawyer.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:45 AM

Confused

OK. Now I am more confused . Please post your opinion so that I can get help on deciding what to do.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2002, 09:32 AM
I need a truck

Re: Got a Ticket. Now What?

Originally posted by dvpatel99se
The officer was courteous and nice.
If the officer was nice he shouldn't given you a ticket. Simple misunderstanding of the posted limit. Go to the DMV and go before a judge (i don't know if you really need a lawyer for that) and plead your case.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:23 PM

no need for a lawyer. it wasn't that bad. 20+ the speed limit is usually what constitutes wreckless driving so technically he was right to give it to you, but he could have fudged the number and siad it was only 19 over.

just be prepared with your stuff and knw what you're doing. if you can get a statement from the cop saying it was a minor violation and it wans't really wreckless (no swerving or other bad driving skills).
Old 03-21-2002, 01:29 PM

Re: Re: Got a Ticket. Now What?

Originally posted by Conrad283

If the officer was nice he shouldn't given you a ticket. Simple misunderstanding of the posted limit.
Well, not quite. He said up above that he thought it was a 55 zone...67 would still be 12 over the limit. I don't think the cop would have given him a warning for 12 over.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by medic
no need for a lawyer. it wasn't that bad. 20+ the speed limit is usually what constitutes wreckless driving so technically he was right to give it to you, but he could have fudged the number and siad it was only 19 over.

just be prepared with your stuff and knw what you're doing. if you can get a statement from the cop saying it was a minor violation and it wans't really wreckless (no swerving or other bad driving skills).
How do I get a statement? He has also written 67RIM. What does RIM mean. If it is Reckless driving do they write something on the ticket. I am assuming that he did not think I was driving Recklessly otherwise he would have said something about it. Now does RIM mean Radar In Motion or does it mean Reckless In My opinion? He did say that just go to court and they will reduce your speed. He did not Reduce a single mile off of the speed .
Old 03-21-2002, 03:37 PM
I need a truck

Re: Re: Re: Got a Ticket. Now What?

Originally posted by Solo950

Well, not quite. He said up above that he thought it was a 55 zone...67 would still be 12 over the limit. I don't think the cop would have given him a warning for 12 over.
no cop will pull you over for doing 12 mph over the limit ... thats rediculous, unless its quota time or you're swerving all over the road drinking a beer while talking on your cell phone with a bone hanging out of your mouth
Old 03-21-2002, 08:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Got a Ticket. Now What?

If the officer was nice he shouldn't given you a ticket. Simple misunderstanding of the posted limit. Go to the DMV and go before a judge (i don't know if you really need a lawyer for that) and plead your case.
a cop can still be nice while doing his job. "simple misunderstanding of the posted limit". do you even know how many times that cop has heard "i thought it was a 55" or "i didnt know what the speed limit was"?? 49 times out of 50 a "nice" cop wont let you go because of a "misunderstanding". and you cant plead your case to the DMV. the clerks you'd talk to have no authority to make the decision that you should be cleared of the charge or not.

no cop will pull you over for doing 12 mph over the limit ... thats rediculous, unless its quota time or you're swerving all over the road drinking a beer while talking on your cell phone with a bone hanging out of your mouth
yes cops will pull you over for doing 12 over. they will pull you over for doing 5 over if they're feeling strict. a friend of mine was pulled over for doing 72 in a 65. 12 mph over is not guarenteed safety. especially in a 55. MAYBE you'd be more likely to get away with it in a 65 but not 100% of the time. anything over 80 is considered RECKLESS in VA. even in a 65. that is only 15 mph over. (merely 3 more than 12 mph over for the mathematically challenged) you think you're completely safe at 12 mph over when you're only 3 MPH away from being charged with reckless? everything you said was wrong. im know im only a year older than you but thats just inexperience talking. dont drive around thinking like that. you're going to end up regretting it.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:30 PM

LOL

So many crazy opinions on this thread.

I am 17 with two tickets (actually went to court TODAY).

1) Don't get a lawyer for this-they do NOTHING...today a person had one in court and the judge told him to be quiet and just gave his decision...they just don't want to hear from lawyers in a little case like this, in reality this ticket is no big deal at all so it's not worth the effort.

2) Cops don't write nice little notes for you to give to the judge. If they give you a ticket they want you to be found guilty.

3) Go to court, if the cvop doesn't show up you get off scot free without saying a word, yay! (I've never been this lucky)

4)If it was reckless driving it would say it on the ticket. It's one of the checkboxes. It's different in all states but I think it's 30 MPH over in MD (I was close... 82.6 in a 55mph zone)

5) in the end, it all depends on the judge. In MD he can give you any amount between 0 and $500 (no matter what amount it says on the ticket), innocent (so hard to prove), or probation before judgement (no points)...some judges give a lot of PBJ's, others don't...if you're a kid don't count on it because they like to stick it to us.

Hope this clears some things up,
PJ
Old 03-21-2002, 08:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Got a Ticket. Now What?

very untrue...i got pulled over for 12 over a few weeks ago...47 in a 35...i do my defensive driving this coming saturday
Old 03-22-2002, 07:10 AM

Re: LOL

Originally posted by speednsound007
So many crazy opinions on this thread.

I am 17 with two tickets (actually went to court TODAY).

1) Don't get a lawyer for this-they do NOTHING...today a person had one in court and the judge told him to be quiet and just gave his decision...they just don't want to hear from lawyers in a little case like this, in reality this ticket is no big deal at all so it's not worth the effort.

2) Cops don't write nice little notes for you to give to the judge. If they give you a ticket they want you to be found guilty.

3) Go to court, if the cvop doesn't show up you get off scot free without saying a word, yay! (I've never been this lucky)

4)If it was reckless driving it would say it on the ticket. It's one of the checkboxes. It's different in all states but I think it's 30 MPH over in MD (I was close... 82.6 in a 55mph zone)

5) in the end, it all depends on the judge. In MD he can give you any amount between 0 and $500 (no matter what amount it says on the ticket), innocent (so hard to prove), or probation before judgement (no points)...some judges give a lot of PBJ's, others don't...if you're a kid don't count on it because they like to stick it to us.

Hope this clears some things up,
PJ
Thanks Speednsound. You make me feel much better. Last time I got the ticket, the officer said he clocked me at 76 in a 60 and bumped it down to 75. Then I went to denfensive course and did not have to go to court. This time I called them yesterday. The lady there said I could not come directly to class as the ticket is 22 over. She also added that just go to the court on your court day. See the DA and tell him that I want a PJC and the DA's office will take care of the rest. She went on to add that I don't even need to see the judge. So, that's what I am gonna do. Await for April 24. Go to the court and take it from there. The ticket scares the heck out of me because it will be like $300 more per 6 months for three years which is atleast $1800 . I can really use that $1800 for something else.

BTW I am 29 It feels like just a few months ago I used to be 24. Time does fly here in the US.