General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

sylvania silverstars

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 09:33 AM

sylvania silverstars

silverstars vs. piaa super whites...how r the silverstars? anyone hav em? will they match my matrix 1156 + 194 super whites? any help would be nice. thanx. o yea, the reason im askin is cuz my local shop just got in silverstars for $40 a pair opposed to piaas at $80 a pair...and i know i can get them cheaper online.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:02 AM
ThisMax2NV

I wanna know this also I jus saw them at a performance shop. Id like to know if theyer worth getting?

Old 03-29-2002, 10:12 AM

I just got Silverstars and Polargs on my 4th gen. The Silverstars are a huge improvement over stock or Coolblues but if you're looking for a blue tint, you won't find it in Silverstars.

They are a lot whiter than regular halogens or Coolblues, but they could very well be mistaken for regular halogens if there is nothing to compare it to. They are also a little bit brighter. I kinda like them and so does SuDZ

I've got a pearl white Maxima and I have only put in Polargs and Silverstars on one side and I can definitely see the difference. The light reflection off the bumper is white on the Silvertsra side, yellow on the regular side.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by pocketrocket
They are a lot whiter than regular halogens or Coolblues, but they could very well be mistaken for regular halogens if there is nothing to compare it to. They are also a little bit brighter. I kinda like them and so does SuDZ
I liked them especially for the fact that they were just bright and improved visibility. I really am not into the whole blue tint looking light coming off my bulbs at all and found these to be very clear and very bright. It really brightens up the road and was the style that fit my requirments perfectly.

SuDZ
Old 03-29-2002, 12:21 PM

do any of you have pics?
Old 03-29-2002, 12:25 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

do a search for them. there have been previous discussions about this topic. there are also pictures on those posts.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by medic
do any of you have pics?
If I get around to it I will take some pics for you and either post them here or on my site. Actually I might still have the stock bulbs kicking around somewhere so I can do a comparison of the two.

SuDZ
Old 03-29-2002, 12:54 PM

SuDZ

You're probably going to do this anyways, but if you'll be taking pics, let the Silverstars be on one side while the other side has the regular.

That way, the pics will have the same 'settings' (e.g., white balance)

Convince the doubters.

I wish I had a digital camera, I've got my eyes set on the Finepix 4900 .... yummy!!! 6x optical, MANUAL focus ring ... too mush $$$ though.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:18 PM

SuDZ

You're probably going to do this anyways, but if you'll be taking pics, let the Silverstars be on one side while the other side has the regular.
Yep thats my plan. I just gotta take a look to make sure I still haev my old stock bulbs. They might be in the pile with all of my other old stock things. I will have to look.

SuDZ
Old 03-29-2002, 02:43 PM

i got the Silevstars especially since they don't have the blue tint. those bulbs are WHITE!!! and bright. i parked my Max next to a friends who had PIAAs and both look pretty similar. i have Polargs for my corner lights and i am planning to rewire them
but the Silverstars are bang for the buck !!
Old 03-29-2002, 05:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: sylvania silverstars

Originally posted by 95sickGLE
silverstars vs. piaa super whites...how r the silverstars? anyone hav em? will they match my matrix 1156 + 194 super whites? any help would be nice. thanx. o yea, the reason im askin is cuz my local shop just got in silverstars for $40 a pair opposed to piaas at $80 a pair...and i know i can get them cheaper online.
I put them on the Honda and they are whiter and a little brighter than stock bulbs.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:01 PM

so r these noticably after-market? i want them to look good too, not just visibility.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by MaximaRox
i got the Silevstars especially since they don't have the blue tint. those bulbs are WHITE!!! and bright. i parked my Max next to a friends who had PIAAs and both look pretty similar. i have Polargs for my corner lights and i am planning to rewire them
but the Silverstars are bang for the buck !!
I just put new lights in this week - Eurolites for the 9004 and H3 bulbs, Polarg for the 1157 (hotwired) and 168's. This is bright white for the road, blue for the side markers. I don't know if the Eurolites are as hot as the PIAA, but for $24/pair (9004) ($15/pair H3, pretty nice.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:17 PM

put the silverstars in today...they r nice and really bright. very white with a tiny bluish tint...im glad i didnt waste another $40 on piaas.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:43 PM

I dunno, the silverstarts are $25 a bulb, my friend put them in his max and a month later one burned out, he replaced it and then the second went...I dont think they are worth the $, they dont shine that well either...I think the piias are nice if your lookign for whie, I tryed the eurolite bulbs which were $39 a set but are very nice with a blue tint...
Old 03-30-2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by maximaracer28
I dunno, the silverstarts are $25 a bulb, my friend put them in his max and a month later one burned out, he replaced it and then the second went...I dont think they are worth the $, they dont shine that well either...I think the piias are nice if your lookign for whie, I tryed the eurolite bulbs which were $39 a set but are very nice with a blue tint...
Eurolite Super Plasmas are $24.95/pair at
www.demandmotorsports.com
Old 03-30-2002, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by maximaracer28
I disagree, but to each his/her own.

I believe the bulbs are of superior quality, and the only reason the bulbs would have burnt out are:
a) He somehow got a bad set
b) He touched the glass
c) He's got an electrical problem
d) The installation was not properly done (loose connection, worn out seal, etc) and this resulted in premature failure of the bulb(s)

As for the color ... they definitely do not compare to PIAAs in terms of whiteness but as I said in my previous post, they are a huge improvement over regular halogens in terms of whiteness but will not give you the blue or white HID tint you're looking for. And the beam pattern is not the fault of the bulb as much as it is the fault of the reflector housing.

My 0.02
Old 04-12-2002, 06:32 AM

Last night, I took a pic of my lights since no one has put them up on the .org yet.

Driver side: stock
Passenger side: Polarg clearance (not rewired), silverstar 9004

The Silverstars are indeed brighter and whiter (than regular halogen) but definitely not close to the color of HIDS. If anyone can host the pics, I'll be glad to e-mail them to you. Let me know, thanks.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:48 PM

Last night, I took a pic of my lights since no one has put them up on the .org yet.

Driver side: stock
Passenger side: Polarg clearance (not rewired), silverstar 9004

The Silverstars are indeed brighter and whiter (than regular halogen) but definitely not close to the color of HIDS. If anyone can host the pics, I'll be glad to e-mail them to you. Let me know, thanks.
Send them to me and I will host them on www.tromastyle.com

SuDZ
Old 04-16-2002, 09:43 AM

SuDZ

Sent you an e-mail or PM but not sure if you got it or not.
I need your e-mail address to send the pics. Let me know, thanks. avash@hotmail.com
Old 04-16-2002, 12:33 PM

SuDZ

Sent you an e-mail or PM but not sure if you got it or not.
I need your e-mail address to send the pics. Let me know, thanks. avash@hotmail.com
You got E-mail. Send them to the adress I just e-mailed you from and I will host them on www.tromastyle.com

SuDZ
Old 04-18-2002, 09:54 AM

SuDZ

Thanks for the hosting, I e-mailed you from my work account with a few pics, please post them up on the thread or give me the URL and I'll post them up myself.

Thanks again
Old 04-26-2002, 04:38 PM

SuDZ

Did you get them already?