General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

For those who want a good 2.5" Resonator

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 12:52 PM

For those who want a good 2.5" Resonator

I just picked some up, got one installed on my car, i put a y-pipe on at it was just too loud with a free flow muffler on the back, it sounded great at idle and horrible once you broke 4K so put the resonator on, and this thing sounds wonderful, still has a low deep growl at idle, but no civicy sound, really it sounds like a V8, so if anyone wants one of these wonderful resonators please let me know, they run about $30 with tax, so just add shipping and i will get you one, these will not reduce the flow of the exhaust they are about 2.75inch inlet and outlet, so they will fit right over your 2.5 in b-pipe, and it is about a foot and 1/2 long, shoot me an email, and for those coming to the KY meet on the 13th you will hear for yourself

Thanks

Jon
Old 03-29-2002, 12:59 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

i'm still confused as to why a stock catback with a dual-tip y2k muffler isn't good enough......then no aftermarket resonator is needed.....

i can't imagine that much real world power being worth the noise.....
Old 03-29-2002, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe
i'm still confused as to why a stock catback with a dual-tip y2k muffler isn't good enough......then no aftermarket resonator is needed.....

Some just like the bigger tipped aftermarket look. Probably as simple as that alone.

SuDZ
Old 03-29-2002, 01:17 PM

what exactly do you mean, of course the setup you have should be quiet, but I was just saying that if anyone with a loud exhaust that wants to quiet it down a little, not a lot, and get rid of some of the raspy sound of it, this is the perfect thing, it costs about 10 to get welded on, made a world of difference to me
Old 03-29-2002, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
what exactly do you mean, of course the setup you have should be quiet, but I was just saying that if anyone with a loud exhaust that wants to quiet it down a little, not a lot, and get rid of some of the raspy sound of it, this is the perfect thing, it costs about 10 to get welded on, made a world of difference to me

I understand, it's just that some people think there's 100 ponies waiting for them if they get rid of the entire exhaust and sound like a motorcycle with a hole in its muffler when a closer to stock setup would be just as effective and a helluva lot quieter.

Personally with your setup I would lose the dual tips and go to 2 single tips. That would be much more appropriate for a sedan that doesn't have M5 on it and a little more subtle so those in the know would appreciate it more......
Old 03-29-2002, 02:49 PM

I understand, it's just that some people think there's 100 ponies waiting for them if they get rid of the entire exhaust and sound like a motorcycle with a hole in its muffler when a closer to stock setup would be just as effective and a helluva lot quieter.

Personally with your setup I would lose the dual tips and go to 2 single tips. That would be much more appropriate for a sedan that doesn't have M5 on it and a little more subtle so those in the know would appreciate it more......
I think that is the first nice thing you have said to me here Bill, thanks, you are also the first one to see that i was trying for an M5 style with the dtm tips, but I like it enough for now, I see what yoursaying about the too big exhaust and that's not what i am going for, but I do think with the 2.5 inch from the headers back is very helpful for gains
Old 03-29-2002, 02:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think someone just took over EvilBill's mind and went nice, nice on us.

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
I think that is the first nice thing you have said to me here Bill, thanks
Old 03-29-2002, 02:53 PM

Well, with all the Middle East crap, perhaps the apocolypse has warped my brain?

I was just curious since I'm an idiot when it comes to exhaust stuff.....
Old 03-29-2002, 04:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what is the brand of resonator and what does it looks like? i need to get something that will give me that deep deep droning sound at idle like the stang's.. i want a deep drone at low and not to be able to hear it at WOT.. any ideas?
Old 03-29-2002, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler
what is the brand of resonator and what does it looks like? i need to get something that will give me that deep deep droning sound at idle like the stang's.. i want a deep drone at low and not to be able to hear it at WOT.. any ideas?
all I know is that it's stainless steal there really is not a brand name or anything, it comes without packaging and all, that's why it is so cheap, but if you have the y-pipe and catback, i am sure you have the same sound i did, this is a really nice resonator, it looks clean, and makes all the higher RPM range smooth sounding, it is a glasspack, I don't know if that is a brand or not though?
Old 03-29-2002, 11:40 PM

resonators are nice

The resonator makes for a good sound. There is a thread about Magnaflow mufflers; I have one. I also have the Courtesy B pipe with the resonator, and together they sound great. . It is a low burble, not harsh but purposeful. The deep mellowness gets V8 owners to perk up and pay attention.