General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

maxima loses to GTI

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 09:56 AM

All I'm saying is >>>

...don't be too complacent.

Chipped 1.8T models can be quick.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:49 AM

This is interesting, I had some spirited driving with a GTI vr6 just today. He blatenly cut me off, so I decided to have some fun with him in the twisties behind. Of course he out handled me, seeing as I'm still stock suspension and the Maxima is nose heavy as *****. But fortunately, I have Quaife differential to help me accelerate through the curves. When we were on a straightaway, I nailed it and he was unable to pull on me whatsoever. Oh yea and I'm running the OEM Y pipe for the time being too. Unfortunately, most of the VW owners I know think their cars are the bomb (even more so then the maxima drivers do). They drive it around like its the fastest and best handling car on the road, even the 2.0 SOHC guys. However, right now I'm trying to get with a girl who drives a GTI but hers is a 4 cyl. And it seems most the VW girl drivers are hot.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:05 AM

Re: Re: Re: maxima loses to GTI

Originally posted by MAXIMAKILLER

all i can say is that u havent raced billy t yet. wait till im done w/ my blazer, im putting a 500 horse 454 in that thing, even though its runnin on 38 inch tires, i still wonder how fast it'll go w/ that engine.

phill
I just went to WaterFest this past weekend in Houston and saw the black APR golf pull a NOS'd VR6 (Not by much). APR Staged 3 Golf, they said a 12 sec car. All I could think was man I wish my car was done.

Here's my Stage 1 Max. My Stage I comes with a lot of stuff
http://www.unclemax.net/images/Unclemax/Turbo/t11.jpg
Old 04-08-2002, 11:20 AM

the new GTI with a turbo puts out only 180 HP... thats not too impressive if you ask me
Old 04-09-2002, 08:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: maxima loses to GTI

Originally posted by Uncle Max

Oh man, is that PRETTY!
Old 04-09-2002, 08:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: maxima loses to GTI

WHEN DID A BODY KIT BECOME A RICE MOD?????????

last time i checked, the maxima has intake, downpipe, and catback exhaust as bolt on NA modifications for the engine (maybe an UDP)... what does your car have???

i guarrantee my maxima would beat your car... but probably not many GTi's.. I raced a kid here with a 2001 GTi with intake/exhaust and I whipped his a$$.

Think about this though, your one $350 mod, does more than all of our aftermarket!! Go pick on some S4's or some 330's..
Old 04-09-2002, 09:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: maxima loses to GTI

Originally posted by Uncle Max

HOLY **** thats so nice!!
Old 04-09-2002, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
This is interesting, I had some spirited driving with a GTI vr6 just today. He blatenly cut me off, so I decided to have some fun with him in the twisties behind. Of course he out handled me, seeing as I'm still stock suspension and the Maxima is nose heavy as *****. But fortunately, I have Quaife differential to help me accelerate through the curves. When we were on a straightaway, I nailed it and he was unable to pull on me whatsoever. Oh yea and I'm running the OEM Y pipe for the time being too. Unfortunately, most of the VW owners I know think their cars are the bomb (even more so then the maxima drivers do). They drive it around like its the fastest and best handling car on the road, even the 2.0 SOHC guys. However, right now I'm trying to get with a girl who drives a GTI but hers is a 4 cyl. And it seems most the VW girl drivers are hot.
If you feel that the maxima is so bad, you might want to take one of those courses to learn to handle it better; there are much worse cars...at any rate a small hatch SHOULD ALMOST ALWAYS beat out a midsize (not compact like the WRX) four-door sedan in a very curvy situation, unless the hatch is one of those geo metro hatch things lol. Nonetheless, the "power" of the VW/audi 1.8t is minimal except off the line and at lowe speeds. Stock, it is meant for economical driving (even the commercials tell you that).
Old 04-09-2002, 09:54 AM

Re: maxima loses to GTI

Originally posted by MAXIMAKILLER
i raced my friends unmodded 91 maxima w/ like 15k on it and boy did i kill it. the second time i just paced him at half throttle and then floored and took off. I noticed some of u somewhat newer and heavily modded guys are running low 15's, which i gotta give props too since my gti runs 15 stock.
phill

I want you to write me in 5 yrs and see what kinda problems you gonna have in your VW. Everyone I know who owns a VW cites crappy build. They are cheap pocket rockets, but dont forget that for $$ you paid for your new GTI, you can buy a used Camaro SS who will blow your *** away.
Old 04-09-2002, 03:19 PM

1991 Maxima's come with the VG engine rated at 160HP. Those run like what? high 15's-high 16's? I wouldn't get to cocky beating one with a VR6.

Race a 1992-1994 VE or 1995-2002 VQ powered Maxima and be prepared to see our tailights.

I do have a question for VW owners though. Why is it that the Mag's can run mid-15's/high 16's but some of you guys can run high 14's/low 15's? Is their a special skill in driving the VR6?
Old 04-09-2002, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Lime

If you feel that the maxima is so bad, you might want to take one of those courses to learn to handle it better; there are much worse cars...at any rate a small hatch SHOULD ALMOST ALWAYS beat out a midsize (not compact like the WRX) four-door sedan in a very curvy situation, unless the hatch is one of those geo metro hatch things lol. Nonetheless, the "power" of the VW/audi 1.8t is minimal except off the line and at lowe speeds. Stock, it is meant for economical driving (even the commercials tell you that).
Umm, I was racing a GTI vr6, not the 1.8 turbo, so it can put up a good fight. And no, the maxima is not a great handling car, the GTI is definately a much better handler. Anybody who thinks the maxima is a great handling car has obviously not driven a well handling car.
Old 04-09-2002, 07:49 PM

Umm, I was racing a GTI vr6, not the 1.8 turbo, so it can put up a good fight. And no, the maxima is not a great handling car, the GTI is definately a much better handler. Anybody who thinks the maxima is a great handling car has obviously not driven a well handling car.
Never said it was great, but it's certainly NOT that bad. Bad is a Dart Sport 430! Hella fast, but don't try turning the wheel!
Old 04-09-2002, 08:17 PM

GTI with Chip/I/E and 5spd max with I/Ypipe/E both run mid 14s with mid 90's trap speeds

should be driver dependant...

what's with the arguing?
Old 04-09-2002, 10:24 PM

Handling

And no, the maxima is not a great handling car, the GTI is definately a much better handler. Anybody who thinks the maxima is a great handling car has obviously not driven a well handling car.
Hmm, among other cars I've owned: 240Z, modded; MGB; 2 different Alfa Romeo V6's ... I've also driven a Porsche Carrera and a Ferrari 308GT, so I've been in some decent handling cars. That said, the Maxima, set up right, can handle quite well. Some cars I've beaten in autocross ... heck, just about anything I can think of! Driver dependent? Yes, but suspension tuned makes a big difference. Sure the M3 is a better car, but if I've turned better times than some in a Maxima, it says something about the potential there too. I've had my car where it would oversteer, not a bad trick for FWD.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:49 PM
MAX

My friend has a 1.8t and he keeps talking $hit, I guess I'll have to show him what's up. I never took it as a serious threat, until now.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:29 AM

Re: Handling

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax

Hmm, among other cars I've owned: 240Z, modded; MGB; 2 different Alfa Romeo V6's ... I've also driven a Porsche Carrera and a Ferrari 308GT, so I've been in some decent handling cars. That said, the Maxima, set up right, can handle quite well. Some cars I've beaten in autocross ... heck, just about anything I can think of! Driver dependent? Yes, but suspension tuned makes a big difference. Sure the M3 is a better car, but if I've turned better times than some in a Maxima, it says something about the potential there too. I've had my car where it would oversteer, not a bad trick for FWD.
Thank you.

Also, go 240Z! They are sooo slick with sways and a strut/spring upgrade (not shabby without, however). They used the 240's in rally crossing back in the day. When I drove my dad's '73 Z(with the sways/springs/struts), it was killer.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:16 AM

How about >>

Originally posted by JoesMAX
the new GTI with a turbo puts out only 180 HP... thats not too impressive if you ask me
That same motor, same bottom end, putting out 250bhp, like in the TT and S3?

AWV motors have a lot of potential...don't sleep.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:21 AM

It's true >>

...Nonetheless, the "power" of the VW/audi 1.8t is minimal except off the line and at lowe speeds. Stock, it is meant for economical driving (even the commercials tell you that).
My GF has the AWW (150bhp) version of the 1.8T in her Golf, and it's only quick off the line because of the gearing. At highway speeds it has good passing power only because you're revving at over 4K RPM when cruising at 75mph. THe drive by wire system applies almost 70% throttle with only 40% pedal travel...helping it feel quicker at street speeds.

If you want better performance at any speed, as in the TT and S3, the gear ratios will have to be altered by 6-speed manual or 5-speed auto and the power is bumped to 250bhp.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:35 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ

I do have a question for VW owners though. Why is it that the Mag's can run mid-15's/high 16's but some of you guys can run high 14's/low 15's? Is their a special skill in driving the VR6?
I have yet to see a mag come close to the times I can get with my car. All I have is a K&N filter on my 95 GXE Auto and I've run 15.2

The best I've seen published is 16.4 by car and driver.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:10 AM

Re: Re: Handling

Thank you.

Also, go 240Z! They are sooo slick with sways and a strut/spring upgrade (not shabby without, however). They used the 240's in rally crossing back in the day. When I drove my dad's '73 Z(with the sways/springs/struts), it was killer.
My '71 240Z was a Porsche killer with a Weber carb and headers, running Mulholland suspension (Koni would have been better). I owned those guys in the hills. When I switched to turbo, I stopped getting races. Why? Too quiet; they thought I was stock. All I could get were roll-on races on the freeway. I quit after getting totally walked by a Triumph TR4! The guy had side pipes, for crying out loud (on a 4-banger?!!) meaty tires and a huge roll bar. We did a roll on at 60 and he smoked his tires! By the time I hit 90, at 10 lbs. of boost, he was completely out of sight on a straight freeway!!! I later saw him in another town (Sacramento); turned out he'd shoved a Javelin 304 c.i. motor in that thing! It was all engine; he even had to move the firewall back! Sweet ...
Old 04-10-2002, 09:14 AM

OriginalMadMax >>

...turned out he'd shoved a Javelin 304 c.i. motor in that thing! It was all engine; he even had to move the firewall back! Sweet ...
Were Javelin's an AMC model? Did they share a platform with the TR4?
Old 04-12-2002, 10:15 PM

I have high regard for VW esp newer ones. Great handling, nice power, reasonably priced. Problem is they fall apart almost as bad as American cars (check consumer reports repair records - chevy all black (bad), VW (all white at best - average), MAX (all red - problem free) - If not for that I'd strongly consider one.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:41 PM

falling apart

Originally posted by tyrotrader
I have high regard for VW esp newer ones. Great handling, nice power, reasonably priced. Problem is they fall apart almost as bad as American cars (check consumer reports repair records - chevy all black (bad), VW (all white at best - average), MAX (all red - problem free) - If not for that I'd strongly consider one.
What happened to that vaunted German engineering?
Old 04-13-2002, 02:58 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: falling apart

What happened to that vaunted German engineering?
It got lost in the Mexican assembly...
Old 04-13-2002, 07:53 PM

Re: Re: falling apart

Originally posted by mzmtg

Ah so, ich sprechen Espagnol ...
Old 07-12-2002, 05:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jetta's are for chicks and p#ssy's.

91 max with 15K, He must only take that car to church on sundays. I had mine for 2ths and i already have 5k on mine
Old 07-12-2002, 06:03 PM

Re: Re: falling apart

Originally posted by mzmtg

sad isn't it.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: falling apart

Saying that a VR6 could beat a VG auto is like saying a Supra TT can beat a Geo Metro. NO FREAKING CRAP YOU IDIOT. I would be concerned if you couldn't.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:41 PM

I have owned heavily modded VW's and a Maxima. I like them all. To each his own. The turboes VW's have GOBS of low end torgue that the Maxima's can only dream of having. BUT the Maxima's, after they are wound up, do quite nicely.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:54 PM
Ford Only.

VE 5 speeds have gobs of torque too...
Old 07-12-2002, 10:07 PM

So to answer your first question:

My car is 267fwhp - I should be getting about 290 (Boost issues I'm trying to work out)

Anyway, this is what it costs:

Y-Pipe - $200
V1 used SuperCharger - $2500
Don's VB Transmission Mod - $490
Variable Intake - $510
Suspension - $600

So total, about $4300, just on performance. That of course doesn't include the $$$ for the cosmetic mods I've put on.

Our cars are very expensive to mod due to low demand for mods compared to other brands and models out there that have a larger aftermarket audience.

but that's changing. As the resale value of the 4th Gen (1995-1999) drops, more teens and enthusiasts are modding them, or buying them as a first car and then finding out they can be modded. Makes me wonder what the population of this forum has gained in the last year, quite a bit I bet, especially 3rd and 4th Gens.

That equals more demand, which just now companies are starting to see. Another year or two, and I expect many more toys to be out. Just in the last few months, we've gotten a Turbo, Variable Air Induction System (Imported from the Middle East) <MEVI>, Various body kits and new cosmetic mods, etc, etc.....

And all that new business = more competition in the market = cheaper mods.

And I'll kick your GTi butt any day. <just playing, although I would>

IanS
Old 07-12-2002, 10:12 PM

MAXIMAKILLER...

...I don't need to spray it...I'll just say it...

I'll kill you FOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Ford Only.

I will race him with a bone stock VE 5 speed
Old 07-13-2002, 06:43 AM

moderators: why is this thread still around? what does it have to do with maxima? while people's requests for help get deleted, you let this nonsense go on for 5 pages????
Old 07-13-2002, 11:49 AM
//M5'ver

it was a race between a maxima and a git.. thats what it has to do with a maxima..

stop being a p#ssy..you don't like the thread.. dont click on it..

Originally posted by jliao2k
moderators: why is this thread still around? what does it have to do with maxima? while people's requests for help get deleted, you let this nonsense go on for 5 pages????

Old 07-13-2002, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Turbo97GXE
it was a race between a maxima and a git.. thats what it has to do with a maxima..

stop being a p#ssy..you don't like the thread.. dont click on it..

Yeah, what he said!
Speak it, brother Turbo!

Old 07-13-2002, 07:36 PM

werd

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
1991 Maxima's come with the VG engine rated at 160HP. Those run like what? high 15's-high 16's? I wouldn't get to cocky beating one with a VR6.

Race a 1992-1994 VE or 1995-2002 VQ powered Maxima and be prepared to see our tailights.
there is a VE running 14.2 in the 1/4..... and many VE's running in the 14's.
Old 07-14-2002, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by carnal_c30

us 4th gen 5spds run low 14s at close to or at 100mph with just intake and full exhaust
Oh, really, I have missed all those 4th gens running 100 in the 1/4 with intake and exhaust.

There is really no need to exaggerate to argue with this guy.
Old 07-14-2002, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Oh, really, I have missed all those 4th gens running 100 in the 1/4 with intake and exhaust.

There is really no need to exaggerate to argue with this guy.
pappasmurf is running 100 trap speed with ECU / Bigger Injectors / Other bolt on's
Old 07-14-2002, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax

pappasmurf is running 100 trap speed with ECU / Bigger Injectors / Other bolt on's
That may be.

But I don't think I need to convince you that maximas don't run 100 trap speeds with just intake/exhaust.