General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

vbmod owners whay are your 1/4 times???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 09:05 PM

vbmod owners whay are your 1/4 times???

i just want to know what all of you guys are running...my car doesnt pull hard in 3rd anymore??? do you guys think that a broken RT cat is the problem...i hope soo...i ran a 15.37 before vbmod now i just ran a 15.91(both g-tech)??? kinda ****es me off... o well....
Old 04-17-2002, 09:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: vbmod owners whay are your 1/4 times???

Originally posted by BLacKMax69
i just want to know what all of you guys are running...my car doesnt pull hard in 3rd anymore??? do you guys think that a broken RT cat is the problem...i hope soo...i ran a 15.37 before vbmod now i just ran a 15.91(both g-tech)??? kinda ****es me off... o well....
Hey Franko, I bet your car is running slow on the G-Tech because you changed your suspension to a much stiffer setup. The same thing happened to me with my G-tech times, I am usually about .3-.5 slower with a stiff suspension.
I guess what happens is with the stock supension the car leans a lot during a hard launch and this screws up the G-Techs readings, when you lower it your car does not squat on a hard launch so the G-Tech get's all screwd up. Thats my take on it atleast, even my I30 and 95 max did the same thing to the G-Tech after I lower the car.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:01 AM

Re: Re: vbmod owners whay are your 1/4 times???

Originally posted by emax95

Hey Franko, I bet your car is running slow on the G-Tech because you changed your suspension to a much stiffer setup. The same thing happened to me with my G-tech times, I am usually about .3-.5 slower with a stiff suspension.
I guess what happens is with the stock supension the car leans a lot during a hard launch and this screws up the G-Techs readings, when you lower it your car does not squat on a hard launch so the G-Tech get's all screwd up. Thats my take on it atleast, even my I30 and 95 max did the same thing to the G-Tech after I lower the car.
I'm a little confused--does the lower suspension make you slower or does it just make the G-tech say your slower? I would think it's the latter
Old 04-18-2002, 06:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I believe stiffer suspension makes your car faster because more energy goes to the wheels instead of the suspension. Sorry if this is unclear, never took physics
Old 04-18-2002, 06:21 AM

if you say it stops pulling in third then check your Knock sensor, do a search in the 4th gen forum, there are threads that say in detail how to check it.

Ant
Old 04-18-2002, 06:27 AM

1/4 times

Trust actual 1/4 times rather than times on a G-Tech. Get the real thing from 1/4 experience and there won't be any questions if something electrical was messing up with your gadgets.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:40 AM

My best is a 15.05. Usually my worst these days is 15.5's (depending on how much gas I have). I have CAI, y-pipe, JWT ECU, high-flow cat, and an A'Pexi N1 muffler. That's running on 17" rims too.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:25 AM

Me and Ant95SE both did our VBs together. It actually didnt do much as far as time for me. Unless you are running over 300fwhp, you wont notice too much in times.

Following times are with VB.

VB, CAI - 15.5@89mph (i actualy ran the same times with and w/o VB mod wiht same 60fts)
VB, CAI, Y-pipe - 15.3@90mph
VB, CAI, Y-pipe, 50 shot - 14.3@97mph
VB, CAI, Y-pipe, 100 shot - 14.00@100mph
Old 04-18-2002, 11:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

VB only saves the tranny. doesn't speed up the car.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:26 PM

Re: vbmod owners whay are your 1/4 times???

Well I certainly hope it helps my times http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=113429 as my trans does not shift it goes shiiiifffft. I have one ordered from Don and once I get it I'll go back to the track (only 20 mins away from home) and do a update. I have read that Don's vb mod can make a .4/.6 diff in 1/4 et's from respected board members.
l8tr -- SS
Old 04-18-2002, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Lime
VB only saves the tranny. doesn't speed up the car.
i read on other posts that alot of ppl say it makes the car faster
and on don's website it says it makes the car faster cus it shifts
quicker
rite?
Old 04-18-2002, 04:02 PM

Re: Re: vbmod owners whay are your 1/4 times???

I have been on this board ever since it started and have not recalled one person who has lost .4-.6 besides Don.

Don't get me wrong, he is a VERY respectable man and knows a lot about Maximas but i don't see it dropping as much as claimed.

I have done plenty of baseline runs with similar conditions with and w/o VB mod. It did not yield that much off. I have seen about .1 of a difference but no more then that. Unless these people who "claimed" it took that much off w/o even having a baseline run, I wouldn't call it legit information.

Now if this was true, the autos would be running almost identical times as a 5spd but they aren't.

Some food for thought.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:28 PM

I also have the Don's VB. Last time I went to the track, I didn't see any improvement. Unless you are going to run nitrous and/or SC, I say skip the VB. Better spent on a JWT ECU for example. I wouldn't say the VB make your car faster, besides protecting the tranny, the shifts are firmer/faster. I thought by getting the VB, the lag that I would get from time to time with the darn automagic tranny would be eliminated. Nope, still have the lag. The upshifts are nicer, but the downshifts aren't any better.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:19 PM

vb mod

i have to agree with you cumalot. the shifts are really nice and firm. but the lag is still there. i personally like it. i also dont see how it wouldnt increase times if you go through the gears a lot faster. i think its a good mod and it supposed to save the tranny.

Lenny.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: vbmod owners whay are your 1/4 times???

Originally posted by mattattax

I'm a little confused--does the lower suspension make you slower or does it just make the G-tech say your slower? I would think it's the latter
My theory is " it just make the G-tech say your slower"
Old 04-18-2002, 08:58 PM

BSwithTF: what were you running before the VB?

This thread is very interesting to me as I just purchased a spare VB while I ponder the investment into the modification. I ran a 15.13 last weekend with a JWT Intake/JWT ECU/Y Pipe on stock fronts but im at 15.3 consistently. Most people have told me that I'll be in the high 14's consistently with the VB. Im wondering if the $450 could be better spent somewhere else such as a CAI or a catback exhaust or something to that effect?

Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:24 PM

for $450, I'd get NOS or Zex.

nm.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:29 PM

Re: for $450, I'd get NOS or Zex.

Originally posted by hokiemax
nm.
450 for the kit, then it all adds up after that depending on where you want to go with the setup.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:28 PM

did u go to a track for those times??? or G-Teck...those are very nice times.....??
Old 04-18-2002, 11:41 PM

did u go to a track for those times??? or G-Teck...those are very nice times.....??
Yup.

Old 04-19-2002, 06:21 AM

Re: Re: for $450, I'd get NOS or Zex.

Originally posted by DCmax

450 for the kit, then it all adds up after that depending on where you want to go with the setup.

I agree. I want to get nitrous too. The kit itself isn't too expensive, but after all the accessories it adds up.

DC: I got my VB at a special price, under $400, IIRC Don had some kind of special at that time. So I jumped all over the great deal. Unless you can get the mod at a good price, I say skip the VB. Maybe spend the money on some drag radials?
Old 04-19-2002, 11:22 AM

Re: vb mod

Originally posted by sp6040
i have to agree with you cumalot. the shifts are really nice and firm. but the lag is still there. i personally like it. i also dont see how it wouldnt increase times if you go through the gears a lot faster. i think its a good mod and it supposed to save the tranny.

Lenny.
Wait, did it increase your times?
Old 04-19-2002, 11:46 AM

I never ran it before the VB.

BSwithTF: what were you running before the VB?

This thread is very interesting to me as I just purchased a spare VB while I ponder the investment into the modification. I ran a 15.13 last weekend with a JWT Intake/JWT ECU/Y Pipe on stock fronts but im at 15.3 consistently. Most people have told me that I'll be in the high 14's consistently with the VB. Im wondering if the $450 could be better spent somewhere else such as a CAI or a catback exhaust or something to that effect?

Any input is appreciated.
I can't see any reason it wouldn't help. If you shift a 5-speed faster, you get better times. I know it's a little different but it's the same basic idea. That time in-between shifts, no power is being put to the ground. My tranny was taking soooo long to shift before the VB mod. Now, bam-bam-bam, right through the gears. And not only do you get firmer, quicker shifts it extends the life of your tranny. That was a very big reason why I got mine.
Old 04-21-2002, 06:14 AM

Re: Re: vb mod

Originally posted by Don in Texas

Can you contradict yourself more iRe: vb mod

Quoted Message:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
....the shifts are really nice and firm, but the lag is still there. ......... i also dont see how it wouldnt increase times if you go through the gears a lot faster.......
Lenny.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you contradict yourself more in one paragraph?

n one paragraph?
to clear things up a little i am not contradicting myself. i stated the lag is there, but i only notice it from time to time. i am more than happy with this mod. as far as it increasing times i dont know. i dont take my car to the track at all. but again i dont see how it wouldnt increase your times if the shifts are a lot quicker.

Lenny
Old 04-21-2002, 06:57 AM

this isn't an apples to apples comparison but...

all you 5-speeders out there: go to the track and shift quickly through the gears, get your time, run again with slower more 'luxurious' shifts and see if there's a time difference

if you're selling your max in 6 months don't get the vb mod, if you're keeping it, get it and don't worry about your tranny when you add some power
Old 07-10-2002, 11:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: vb mod

to clear things up a little i am not contradicting myself. i stated the lag is there, but i only notice it from time to time. i am more than happy with this mod. as far as it increasing times i dont know. i dont take my car to the track at all. but again i dont see how it wouldnt increase your times if the shifts are a lot quicker.

Lenny
You mean decrease, right? Your quarter mile times should decrease, your trap speed should increase.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:22 PM

Re: Re: for $450, I'd get NOS or Zex.

Hey DC, thats why I only want a 45 or 50 shot. With only 50 shot, you dont need fuel pump or any other gauges. A total sleeper. When I get nitrous, i'm really gonna only get 50 shot, and not buy ANY OTHER accesories.