General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I used the wrong oil,should I change it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 03:52 PM

I used the wrong oil,should I change it?

This weekend I changed my oil. I had my oil in the cabinet were I always put it after I buy it, it was out of the box. Now, I don't know if I bought the wrong oil last time I bought oil, or somebody at my house put the wrong oil in there and I didn't know it. I usually put Pennzoil 10w-30 in my car but after I did everything I noticed that I had put Pennzoil HD30 oil in my car. I don't have any idea how that oil got there, guess I might have bought it last time and didn't notice.But I think I used the same HD30 last time I changed my oil b/c after I change my oil I always put the last bottle of oil in my trunk. And the bottle in my trunk was that same HD30,so I guess I have been running on it for the last 3000 miles. I have changed my oil plenty of times and I guess I got to routine with it and didn't pay attention.
Does anyone think I should change my oil again right now to the 10w-30 or do you think I can wait another 3000 miles? Seems the car runs fine.
What kind of cars is HD30 oil for anyways? I figured the HD might be Heavy Duty?
Old 04-23-2002, 05:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

"Diesel Oil HD30 - Heavy duty motor oil for naturally aspirated diesel engines. Also suitable for VW air cooled engines."
"HD30. Heavy-duty detergent motor oil."
I found those things about HD30 by doing a search on Google. I would change the oil seeing that it's not even made for our engine. I have no idea what the side effects would be of using it, but I'm sure they aren't good.
-hype
Old 04-23-2002, 05:19 PM

Re: I used the wrong oil,should I change it?

Originally posted by Hunter11
This weekend I changed my oil. I had my oil in the cabinet were I always put it after I buy it, it was out of the box. Now, I don't know if I bought the wrong oil last time I bought oil, or somebody at my house put the wrong oil in there and I didn't know it. I usually put Pennzoil 10w-30 in my car but after I did everything I noticed that I had put Pennzoil HD30 oil in my car. I don't have any idea how that oil got there, guess I might have bought it last time and didn't notice.But I think I used the same HD30 last time I changed my oil b/c after I change my oil I always put the last bottle of oil in my trunk. And the bottle in my trunk was that same HD30,so I guess I have been running on it for the last 3000 miles. I have changed my oil plenty of times and I guess I got to routine with it and didn't pay attention.
Does anyone think I should change my oil again right now to the 10w-30 or do you think I can wait another 3000 miles? Seems the car runs fine.
What kind of cars is HD30 oil for anyways? I figured the HD might be Heavy Duty?
I think I would change it if I were you, but of course you don't need to change the filter. 30 is very heavy, designed for summer only. My grandpa used to use it in his lawn mower. I don't think 30 is good even for the blistering cold we have here in Phila. It was 42 degrees this morning, man old man winter is back! hehehe

Sometimes I think this place is psycho--pouring rain pitch black and you have cars cruising around with no lights. Common sense and Carlos Santana both tell you to put your lights on....
Old 04-24-2002, 06:18 AM

Re: I used the wrong oil,should I change it?

Originally posted by Hunter11
That oil is a single grade oil for high temperatures. The difference between using that and a 10W-30 will be increased wear at startup and a longer warm up time which will lead to increased fuel consumption. Nissan recommends a 5W-30, but mentions a 10W-30 is preferrable if the ambient temperatures stay above 40 degrees, so a straight 30 weight is way too thick to pump/flow easily at cooler temperatures in these engines.

* The last sentence originally in this post was deleted to reflect new info brought to light in this thread.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the info on the oil! I am planning on changing the oil again this weekend but keeping my same filter. Hopefully no damage done. Thanks
Old 04-24-2002, 07:59 AM

Change the oil and filter. You don't want to mix oil.

BTW HD30 in not diesel oil. Any diesel oil will have a C or CH in the weight (how do I know...I also own a 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel).

Frank
Old 04-24-2002, 08:49 AM
RussMaxManiac

Guys he is safe.

Read this....

http://www.pennzoil.com/TechData/pds...ils/pdf/hd.pdf

It's basically just for extreme conditions, not for diesel.

Old 04-24-2002, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Guys he is safe.

Read this....

http://www.pennzoil.com/TechData/pds...ils/pdf/hd.pdf

It's basically just for extreme conditions, not for diesel.
Except that he's using Pennzoil. I don't think safe and Pennzoil can be used in the sentence.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:36 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by BSwithTF

Except that he's using Pennzoil. I don't think safe and Pennzoil can be used in the sentence.
The link is Pennzoil, HD40 is for Pennzoil. And Pennzoil is rated one of the best oils you can use for dino. Catrol GTX and Pennzoil. The tests prove that.

Old 04-24-2002, 05:08 PM

For the cost of oil, I would definitely change it, I actually enjoy chaning the oil.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:34 PM

Do this. Read the API startburst seal on it. If it meets the minimun specifications from Nissan in the manual (SH or whatever it is), then it should be ok.

-V
Old 04-26-2002, 04:16 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

The tests prove that.

really?

Old 04-26-2002, 04:41 PM

Unless you want to F*ck up your engine, id change it. They make different grade oils for a reason
Old 04-26-2002, 07:02 PM

I've had several mechanics tell me to stay away from it.

The link is Pennzoil, HD40 is for Pennzoil. And Pennzoil is rated one of the best oils you can use for dino. Catrol GTX and Pennzoil. The tests prove that.
These are people that have pulled down engines that were from die hard Pennzoil users. Oh yeah, it definitely bonds to engine parts! Not in a good way though. They say it comes apart like a sticky, sludge packed mess. This is hearsay though, I have never seen this with my own eyes. I've never heard anything like that about any other oil, only Pennzoil.