General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Interesting European Review of 2002 Max

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 01:09 PM

Interesting European Review of 2002 Max

http://autozine.kyul.net/html/Nissan2.htm#Cefiro

"However, ask more from its unsophisticated chassis and you will find it is actually no sports sedan. Despite of an optional LSD, 225 tyres and sports suspension package, the Maxima’s front suspensions fail to put all that torque smoothly on road if it enter corners in a hurry. Bigger engine just make torque steer more likely to occur. Drive it at 8/10 and it will feel right. Push it to 10/10 and you will see a typical FF sedan with strut and beam-axle suspensions. Nothing surprising. To be honest, the cheaper Altima is actually better to drive.

Maxima and I35 should emphasis on the comfort side. Unfortunately, the cheap beam-axle rear suspensions still transfer too much noise and shocks to the cabin when riding on rough surfaces. Again, the Altima’s multi-link suspension is better. "

Guess they werent too impressed with the suspension either.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:16 PM
I'm needing a caw

Common knowledge. But consider the source. Germans and Europeans in general are much more educated on what a proper suspension should feel/drive like. It's nothing we haven't been complaining about here either. I didn't read the article yet, but did it mention how easy/difficult the car is to work on? Did it mention the reliability factor vs Amercian muscle/European cars? If you bought the car purely for the handling, you have made a mistake. If you bought the car for the overall package, then you have made a good decision.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:27 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Common knowledge. But consider the source. Germans and Europeans in general are much more educated on what a proper suspension should feel/drive like. It's nothing we haven't been complaining about here either. I didn't read the article yet, but did it mention how easy/difficult the car is to work on? Did it mention the reliability factor vs Amercian muscle/European cars? If you bought the car purely for the handling, you have made a mistake. If you bought the car for the overall package, then you have made a good decision.
Personally I think my '95 handles great. I have a FSTB and B&G's on stock SE struts...the trick is the whole springs/struts package IMHO. The stock springs are sooo freaken tall that body lean and wobble is expected...my springs is the mod that's made the most noticable difference out of all of them, cosmetic, performance included.

I've gotten compliments from tons of people who have ridden with me...and I'm serious. On off-ramps off the highway, when it makes a big turn I take em hard and I stick to the road like glue, with a liiiiiiiittle screetching of the tires sometimes.

Give the Maxima Tough Springs/struts, 8 inch wide tires, stabalizing bars and IMHO it will handle extremely well. And put that setup on a smooth road and it would stick like glue. And maybe you guys live in Europe or something but down here in Central Florida the roads are generally smooth.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

Don't tell me, tell Eric. hehe
Old 04-26-2002, 02:04 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Interesting European Review of 2002 Max

Originally posted by ericdwong
http://autozine.kyul.net/html/Nissan2.htm#Cefiro

"However, ask more from its unsophisticated chassis and you will find it is actually no sports sedan. Despite of an optional LSD, 225 tyres and sports suspension package, the Maxima’s front suspensions fail to put all that torque smoothly on road if it enter corners in a hurry. Bigger engine just make torque steer more likely to occur. Drive it at 8/10 and it will feel right. Push it to 10/10 and you will see a typical FF sedan with strut and beam-axle suspensions. Nothing surprising. To be honest, the cheaper Altima is actually better to drive.

Maxima and I35 should emphasis on the comfort side. Unfortunately, the cheap beam-axle rear suspensions still transfer too much noise and shocks to the cabin when riding on rough surfaces. Again, the Altima’s multi-link suspension is better. "

Guess they werent too impressed with the suspension either.
yeah and toyota V6 motors have a sludge problem.
honda makes a bad V6 auto tranny
german cars have electrical probs
what's your point? do you make an effort to find articles and bash the maxima?

please do the community a favor...just sell your car and leave.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Personally I think my '95 handles great. I have a FSTB and B&G's on stock SE struts...the trick is the whole springs/struts package IMHO. The stock springs are sooo freaken tall that body lean and wobble is expected...my springs is the mod that's made the most noticable difference out of all of them, cosmetic, performance included.

I've gotten compliments from tons of people who have ridden with me...and I'm serious. On off-ramps off the highway, when it makes a big turn I take em hard and I stick to the road like glue, with a liiiiiiiittle screetching of the tires sometimes.

Give the Maxima Tough Springs/struts, 8 inch wide tires, stabalizing bars and IMHO it will handle extremely well. And put that setup on a smooth road and it would stick like glue. And maybe you guys live in Europe or something but down here in Central Florida the roads are generally smooth.
Dude, drive an S-Class and you'll see why they diss the rear beam axle. The 99 S-Class was the softest riding and best handling car I've ever driven for its size and weight. I had one as a company car for a year and loved it.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Don't tell me, tell Eric. hehe
Old 04-26-2002, 04:32 PM

if you do the same to a BMW 3 series wouldn't it handle better?
Old 04-26-2002, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale

if you do the same to a BMW 3 series wouldn't it handle better?
Ahh Young Dennis

Think about it man...why do bimmers handle soo good? Well they have some things we don't, like RWD, but mostly becuase they already come STOCK with such good components...we don't...thus the Aftermarket is born and is the savior of the soft cornering minima
Old 04-26-2002, 04:42 PM

Ahh Young Dennis

Think about it man...why do bimmers handle soo good? Well they have some things we don't, like RWD, but mostly becuase they already come STOCK with such good components...we don't...thus the Aftermarket is born and is the savior of the soft cornering minima
ok so maybe that was an bad example, what abt the A4 fwd or any other euro FF sedan, when you lower it more & put some wide rubber on the wheel & put a couple stablizer bars on will it destory a maxima with the supension mod u mentioned above thru the twisties?
Old 04-26-2002, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale

ok so maybe that was an bad example, what abt the A4 fwd or any other euro FF sedan, when you lower it more & put some wide rubber on the wheel & put a couple stablizer bars on will it destory a maxima with the supension mod u mentioned above thru the twisties?
Hell no...not the FWD ones...the AWD? Maybe

But trust me the Maxima is a TOTALLY different car with new performance shocks/struts/bars...

With new struts/shocks, FSTB, RSB, maybe radial arms, the Maxima will handle-out handle bimmers with ease...it's only on rough roads with noticable put holish bumps that I feel my rear skip around some.

Given the track would be in great condition (smooth and clean), I wouldn't be surprised if a Max with the mods I mentioned outhandled any FWD car thrown at it. Hell, it could even take out a z06
Old 04-26-2002, 10:53 PM

Yeeahhh... never minding the fact the BMWs and the Corvettes are 50/50 weight distribution compared to what the 65/35 nose/butt distribution of our cars. Its also unfair comparing a fully modified car to a bone stock car. Imagine what a good handling car like a z06, bmw from the start would handle like with mods.

Why are you so ashamed of negative reviews of the maxima? I am not the only one who says them, so I'm not crazy. Get off the pedestal thinking the max is god's gift to man.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:03 PM
lcf

the max is god's gift to man.
considering how much i paid for it, i must consider it as so. if i was loaded i wouldve bought a bimmer/m5, not a maxima. i bought the best for what i could afford. the maxima has everything i need. the power, enough space for all my SHlT, and i think it looks dope.

IMO, the ride is sufficient and with the compliment of aftermarket parts will be even better. sure the performance/suspension of a bimmer will also improve with the addition of aftermarket parts but i cant afford that. im only 23.

no car is perfect.

Old 04-27-2002, 02:03 AM

Yeeahhh... never minding the fact the BMWs and the Corvettes are 50/50 weight distribution compared to what the 65/35 nose/butt distribution of our cars. Its also unfair comparing a fully modified car to a bone stock car. Imagine what a good handling car like a z06, bmw from the start would handle like with mods.

Why are you so ashamed of negative reviews of the maxima? I am not the only one who says them, so I'm not crazy. Get off the pedestal thinking the max is god's gift to man.
Front driver. Front wheel traction and steering. Front weight bias. Rearward shift of weight upon acceleration. Now Imagine launching a FWD with 50/50 weight distribution. Imagine accelerating out of a turn.

And it's 60/40 for the 95-99's and 62/38 for 2k2's.