General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The Eibachs ride incredibly smooth!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 07:11 AM

The Eibachs ride incredibly smooth!!!!

ok, I just installed the Eibachs last night, and to me, they are not harsh at all. It rides smoother than my stock SE setup.. Maybe they dont feel harsh to me because I'm coming from SE, and stock SE is pretty harsh, IMO.

The Eibachs have progressive wound rear springs, so maybe thats why it feels better than before.

Also anyone knows if the Eibach logo goes upside down or rightside up, for the fronts? I installed them with the logo upside down, because it sat better on the perch that way. I think thats the way its supposed to be because the ride is very very nice..

BUT, I got these eibachs used, and they are one of the earlier batches for the maxima. The stamp says 12/98. I remember an old post about installing these upside down for the fronts... but maybe it's different now..

Someone plz tell me the answer..
Old 05-09-2002, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: The Eibachs ride incredibly smooth!!!!

Harshness also depends on the road condions. You must have really good raods where you live. Ride with Eibach's in NYC, Detroit, etc and see if they are really not that harsh.

DW

Originally posted by hokiemax
ok, I just installed the Eibachs last night, and to me, they are not harsh at all. It rides smoother than my stock SE setup.. Maybe they dont feel harsh to me because I'm coming from SE, and stock SE is pretty harsh, IMO.

The Eibachs have progressive wound rear springs, so maybe thats why it feels better than before.

Also anyone knows if the Eibach logo goes upside down or rightside up, for the fronts? I installed them with the logo upside down, because it sat better on the perch that way. I think thats the way its supposed to be because the ride is very very nice..

BUT, I got these eibachs used, and they are one of the earlier batches for the maxima. The stamp says 12/98. I remember an old post about installing these upside down for the fronts... but maybe it's different now..

Old 05-09-2002, 08:22 AM

I live in NYC been on Eibachs since 3/00 and 40K+ Miles no problems here. A bit bouncy, the AGX solved that problem. Riding on 235/45R17s on the street and 245/45R17 at the track, the ride is very tolerable, high speed emergency manuevers = A+
Been throught Canal street w/ Toyo T1S 245/45R17s on 17x8.5 wheels, and wasn't all that bad, I hardly get any nose dive during braking, and AGXs set @ 3/6 F/R respectively control the Eibachs very well. I have custom upper mount F/R which were CNC Machined out of Aluminum, and they do transmit alot more feedback into the chasis, but the ride is still tolerable.

-Peace

Old 05-09-2002, 11:33 AM

Eibachs are always supposed to be installed with the writing able to be read while on the car. I thought I had mine on wrong and called Eibach and they stated that if they are installed upside down that the strut mounts and the bearing will get damaged. Also the handling will suffer greatly due to the progressive springs being placed wrong.

I did check mine and they were correctly installed...

Just remember the tighter coils go on the top.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:35 AM

Eibachs and HRs ride smooth, I had Eibachs people exaggerate the ride quality here on the org.
I live in pothole country as well and I had stock GXE suspension.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:50 AM

I see.

Originally posted by DaEnigma
Eibachs are always supposed to be installed with the writing able to be read while on the car. I thought I had mine on wrong and called Eibach and they stated that if they are installed upside down that the strut mounts and the bearing will get damaged. Also the handling will suffer greatly due to the progressive springs being placed wrong.

I did check mine and they were correctly installed...

Just remember the tighter coils go on the top.
thanks for your post. However, I dont' see any progressive coils on the front Eibachs!!!! All the coils are evenly spaced apart and it sits better on the perch with the logo upside down..
Old 05-09-2002, 11:56 AM

Re: I see.

thanks for your post. However, I dont' see any progressive coils on the front Eibachs!!!! All the coils are evenly spaced apart and it sits better on the perch with the logo upside down..
If you flipped the Eibachs around, they would not sit properly on the shock/strut perch, and you'll know.
The upper rubber isolator wouldn't even fit properly.

Eibach stamp should be read side up, not upside down.

Old 05-09-2002, 12:16 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I have to comment on this thread. I had H&R's for a while. The spring noise drive me nuts, to the point I took them out. No matter how hard I tried, they would not stay quiet.

I discovered something very interesting when I took them out. The lettering, H&R was upright, however, if I turned the spring upside down, it did sit on the perch better. As a matter of fact, the upper and lower perch lined up better that way. I'm talking about the fronts only here. The rear was never a problem. I almost put them back in reversed just to see if it would quiet things down.

I have a feeling that even though these companies are ISO 9001 Certified, errors happen. Trust me on that one, my company is certified and the crap that gets out our doors is unreal.

I think it's very possible that you can come across a set of springs with the printing upside down. We don't live in a perfect world ya know. So if his install is smooth and quite, and the ride is awsome, then don't mess with it. You may very well have a set of springs with the writing stamped incorrectly. I sware that this was my problem with the set of H&R's I had.

If the spring sits correctly in the perch, no matter what direction the lettering is, then leave it that way. Progressive coils should go up. Don't go by the lettering, go by the coils.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:29 PM

ISO9001 is just quality control of the product, flawless for 2 years. As for stamping, well, thats not part of quality control, its the installers decision, notice how there aren't any insturctions specifying how they go on.

-Nice Huh ?

Old 05-09-2002, 07:07 PM

Re: The Eibachs ride incredibly smooth!!!!

I dont know what your talking about I have Eibachs and KYB AGX's and my ride is pretty tight and rough, even before I put the KYB's on.

Jay
Old 05-09-2002, 07:08 PM

Re: Re: The Eibachs ride incredibly smooth!!!!

Originally posted by nymjayjay

I dont know what your talking about I have Eibachs and KYB AGX's and my ride is pretty tight and rough, even before I put the KYB's on.

Jay
Old 05-10-2002, 10:50 AM

Re: Re: The Eibachs ride incredibly smooth!!!!

Jay
You have a boney butt~!

Old 05-10-2002, 11:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: The Eibachs ride incredibly smooth!!!!

Originally posted by Chimp Dj

You have a boney butt~!

Chimp Dj
Old 05-10-2002, 11:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Eibachs ride incredibly smooth!!!!

Chimp Dj

Old 05-10-2002, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by JAY25
Eibachs and HRs ride smooth, I had Eibachs people exaggerate the ride quality here on the org.
I live in pothole country as well and I had stock GXE suspension.

JAY25, The drop in your sig is with the Eibachs? Must be sportlines then?
Old 05-10-2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by CIRCO

JAY25, The drop in your sig is with the Eibachs? Must be sportlines then?
Those are Intrax springs that have been cut. No way Eibachs are that low.
-Cyrus
Old 05-11-2002, 07:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I see.

Well I just received my Eibach set for the 5th gen Max so I can add a comment or two. First of all, the front springs definitely are linear rate as far as I can tell. The end that goes onto the upper spring perch is flattened and the end that goes on the bottom perch is the non-flattened end of the coil. The rear spring pair do have progressive coils which should go on top when installed and based on this both pairs have the Eibach written in the correct perspective. I can't wait to install them next week!