General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Boost is dangerous...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 03:52 AM

Boost is dangerous...

OK, so I just got my blower put in my car several days ago and have been babying (sp?) it...up until tonight. On the way home from a local Jack In The Box, I decided to completely open it up as far as I could get it to go before I either ran out of road or motor...which ever came first. Since I drive an automatic without the VB mod yet, I think I might have shaved off about 25k work of miles off my tranny...but god was it fun! The road was a little damp so I spun when boost kicked in...shut it down at around 140 but it felt like it could pull a little more (probably just in my head)...never ceases to amaze me what forced induction can do...
Old 05-19-2002, 03:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

haha nice. I see you went pedal happy
Old 05-19-2002, 06:01 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

don't blow that tranny
Old 05-19-2002, 06:52 AM

V1 or V2? and what size pulley are you running?
Old 05-19-2002, 07:45 AM
Ford Only.

V2, stock pulley. Dennis, take care of that tranny, looks like next will be a 5 speed conversion huh?
Old 05-19-2002, 08:04 AM
Blu
the tits

gotta love that boost
Old 05-19-2002, 09:02 AM

Re: Boost is dangerous...

Originally posted by MaxedBandit
The road was a little damp so I spun when boost kicked in...shut it down at around 140 but it felt like it could pull a little more (probably just in my head)...never ceases to amaze me what forced induction can do...
The boost is dangerous? Never ceases to amaze me how untouchable they are in their own automobiles..

Old 05-19-2002, 09:24 AM

Old 05-19-2002, 09:31 PM

OK, so I just got my blower put in my car several days ago and have been babying (sp?) it...up until tonight. On the way home from a local Jack In The Box, I decided to completely open it up as far as I could get it to go before I either ran out of road or motor...which ever came first. Since I drive an automatic without the VB mod yet, I think I might have shaved off about 25k work of miles off my tranny...but god was it fun! The road was a little damp so I spun when boost kicked in...shut it down at around 140 but it felt like it could pull a little more (probably just in my head)...never ceases to amaze me what forced induction can do...
wait a minute, you were doing 140 on a damp road? and the boost is dangerous?
Old 05-19-2002, 10:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Dennis, where was this? I also want to find the top speed of my Maxima.

Later,
Alfonso
Old 05-19-2002, 10:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I doubt you blew 25k off your tranny.

I just have trouble believing:

1)One solid romp will kill your tranny
2)The VB Mod completely saves a tranny that is boosted so it will last forever.

I'm not being mean, I really want to know these things! I'm installng my V1 SC in a couple of weeks, and don't have the money for a VB Mod!

IanS
Old 05-19-2002, 11:09 PM

Of course one run won't kill the tranny. doing it repeatedly while boosting will. And the VB mod doesn't completely save the tranny, it's just prolonging the inevitible. Only totally rebuilding the tranny with all upgraded parts will allow it to reliably hold the power for the duration, and even then there are no guarantees just like people blow up their trannies on stock cars.

Originally posted by iansw
I doubt you blew 25k off your tranny.

I just have trouble believing:

I'm not being mean, I really want to know these things! I'm installng my V1 SC in a couple of weeks, and don't have the money for a VB Mod!

IanS
Old 05-20-2002, 02:38 AM

Re: Re: Boost is dangerous...

Originally posted by 1FSTMAX

Hey Dennis, where was this? I also want to find the top speed of my Maxima.

Later,
Alfonso
This was going up a street called Ridgeline in Irvine...it's right by my house...not the straightest road but it has its moments.

1) No, one solid romp will not kill the tranny, but it will wear and tear the hell out of it...I've been trying to baby it until I get the VB mod

2) And no, it does not completely save the tranny, it just (as Shadow said) prolongs the inevitible. When I get the VB, I will have peace of mind about pushing it more often...but eventually, I expect the tranny to go bye bye.

wait a minute, you were doing 140 on a damp road? and the boost is dangerous?
Yeah, not one of the smartest things I've done, but far from the dumbest...was just really really curious and boost happy. I very rarely do foolish things out on the street (that's what the track is for) but I admit I indulge once in a while.