General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HELP: Squeal/Howling: Clutch or Throwout Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 06:58 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

HELP: Squeal/Howling: Clutch or Throwout Bearing?

Okay so I finally got my Max in to get this weird clutch engagement squeal/howling noise looked at. I had to drop it off after hours so I left a detailed description of the problem for Nissan and how to reproduce it:

ATTN Nissan Service Representative:

The problem I am having with my 99 Maxima 5spd is as follows. Occasionally I hear a “squealing” noise while slipping the clutch in 1st gear or Reverse when starting the vehicle from a dead stop. This does not occur on flat ground very often. It occurs mostly when traveling up a hill and needing to inch forward slowly from a dead stop.

For example, the squealing will occur if I need to inch forward at a traffic signal in 1st gear going uphill.

It will also occur in Reverse if I need to back out of a parking space very slowly going uphill. The squealing will also occur occasionally on flat ground while backing out as well.

The squealing noise is definitely made worse by going up a hill when needing to inch forward slowly, or with additional weight (cargo, people, etc.) in the car. And the problem can be reliably reproduced when the car is put into these scenarios.
I thought this might have been the throwout bearing which I've read about here. But according to the Nissan service manager he said that it was just the clutch making that noise and not the throwout bearing. I stopped by today and we looked at the car together so that I was sure he was hearing what I was hearing and he was. He said that some Maxima's do this because the material in the clutch is different (had to stop using asbestos in clutches??) and wasn't anything to worry about. He said the clutch seemed to be in good shape otherwise and that it didn't need to be replaced.

I guess I sorta buy this (pointing to the clutch) because if the throwout bearing was going bad wouldn't it be making noise whenever you have your foot on the clutch? The only time I get this squeal/howl is on initial clutch slip/engagement (and usually only when under load, like going uphill or with alot of weight, etc.) and not just whenever my foot is on the clutch.

So TWO Questions:

1) Do you think my problem is really the clutch as the Nissan service manager stated, or is it really the throwout bearing? (Basically, is the Nissan service manager BS'ing me or not)

2) If it really is just the clutch making the noise, is it worth it (or even possible) to try to get it replaced under warranty?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the long post)
Old 05-20-2002, 09:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know what exactly to tell you, but it doesn't sound like the throwout bearing to me. My throwout bearing squeeked after a while, but I never got any noises out of it even when my clutch was shot. The clutch on my '99 never made noises either, but it did have an early death at 48k. Now I have an ACT, but I never really had problems with either of my clutches.
-hype
Old 05-20-2002, 10:43 PM

A bad throw-out bearing will normally squeak when you clutch in. I'm pretty sure you're experiencing clutch groan. Pretty common, as well as annoying. I went through the exact same thing you described after I first had my ACT clutch installed. The noise I heard was more of a 'moo' than a squeak. It only lasted for a few weeks though. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you're smelling clutch or it's slipping. How long have you had the clutch?
Old 05-21-2002, 02:08 AM

My 99 GXE did this also. The dealer said the clutch was bad and had it replaced. Now my clutch slips in 1st and makes a different kind of groan. I'm hoping it will go away...
Old 05-21-2002, 11:25 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Thanks guys. Yeah I think it's the clutch too and not the throwout bearing. It's definitely a squeal/howl/"moo" sort of noise and not a "squeak" though. I think I'm just going to leave it as is and not do anything with it since it's definitely not slipping or anything.

I'll just drive it and when it dies I'll put an ACT replacement clutch in