General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

is my torque converter going?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 06:19 AM

is my torque converter going?

when i start my car, the over drive light blinks off and on constant for like 20 seconds. then i put the car on drive, start and there's a lagg on power. feels like it's not on first gear but on second gear. the rpm is kind of high too, like 2500 rpm-3500 rpm and i'm going only 10 mph. i turn off the car and start it again and it's fine.
this is the 8th time this happened.

what do you think it is? car is a 99 auto with 16k miles on it

help help. thanks
Old 05-21-2002, 07:20 AM
dot dot dot ...

Re: is my torque converter going?

Originally posted by 1HOTMAX
when i start my car, the over drive light blinks off and on constant for like 20 seconds. then i put the car on drive, start and there's a lagg on power. feels like it's not on first gear but on second gear. the rpm is kind of high too, like 2500 rpm-3500 rpm and i'm going only 10 mph. i turn off the car and start it again and it's fine.
this is the 8th time this happened.

what do you think it is? car is a 99 auto with 16k miles on it

help help. thanks
I think it's a fail safe mode, mine did it a few times after I spun out violently in the snow and one time on a cattle guard. On my 95, I would spin em up then it would shift to a higher gear and never down shift, even if i floored it, until I turned it off then back on, but when i did that, the O/D light would blink a few times. then I'd pull the engine codes and it gave me a code which brought up 'signal from transmission'

So either stop burning out or maybe you actually do have problems.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:24 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Looks like you have some bad tranny solenoids.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:21 PM

Re: Re: is my torque converter going?

Originally posted by NmexMAX

I think it's a fail safe mode, mine did it a few times after I spun out violently in the snow and one time on a cattle guard. On my 95, I would spin em up then it would shift to a higher gear and never down shift, even if i floored it, until I turned it off then back on, but when i did that, the O/D light would blink a few times. then I'd pull the engine codes and it gave me a code which brought up 'signal from transmission'

So either stop burning out or maybe you actually do have problems.
1HOTMAX does NOT SPEED OR DO BURNOUTS OR DO ANYTHING, He just pimps his car, and his trophy GF, and asks if anyone needs lasik surgery.

Old 05-21-2002, 02:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: is my torque converter going?

What?? He has hook ups on Lasik Surgery? My procedure is this Friday. $3600 from the same doctor Tiger Woods used.

Originally posted by Chimp Dj

1HOTMAX does NOT SPEED OR DO BURNOUTS OR DO ANYTHING, He just pimps his car, and his trophy GF, and asks if anyone needs lasik surgery.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: is my torque converter going?

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
What?? He has hook ups on Lasik Surgery? My procedure is this Friday. $3600 from the same doctor Tiger Woods used.

Contact 1HOTMAX, he gots hookups.

Come up to NY

Old 05-21-2002, 06:50 PM

tiger who???

tiger woods promotes for TLC laser/ the lasik surgeon that did his eyes is loctaed in california and he's not 3600 beans. be careful/ advertisement is advertisement. seeing is believing.

make sure when u have your lasik to ask:
who will be my surgeon
will he see me after my surgery for the post opperative visits
how many lasik surgery has he done.
(there's a lot of surgeons that claim to have done 20,000 procedures which is false)
and the most important: what type of laser will you be using!
also/ do u replace the blade on every patient and when is the laser calibrated; between every patient?

lasik came out in the early 90's called prk/rk was done to militery soldiers in the early 80's.
it was pioneered in 1995 over seas and fda approved for the u.s.
nidek laser's were first used in canada and people were going by bus loads for 500 per eye/

i work for a very large lasik center in the nyc area with the best laser money can buy. We along with columbia are the only ones in nyc that have the VISX star S4 with a active 3d tracker, wave scan/wavefront technology.we also have the b&l flying spot( this laser is only good for people with large pupils: not proven good on everyone)

today. many people are enjoying the benifits of lasik.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:56 PM

3600 is kind of average for lasik.

you get what you pay for.
995 per eye is the going rate for lasik these days.

i have about 17 docts at the center that charge between 599 per eye to 4500 per eye......yes.....not a missprint. and it takes 5 minutes per eye!

depends on your prescription/ the higher/ the more it cost.

my gf was a prescrition -9.75 with a -3.75 astigmatism and less than 538 microns of tissue on her cornea/ boarderline/ she wanted to do it so i had about 100 geanee pigs done b4 we did her eyes/ it came out perfect. it's been 2 months and she is regressing well. 20/20
Old 05-21-2002, 07:09 PM

I am currently on internship with an Optomotrist, and have learned a lot there. Things have changed a lot, he told me how not too long ago they made incisions in the eye, then reshaped the cornea...bbut now its either laser or lasik, but still some people cannot have it due to the shape of their eyes or that its to the point where the shape is already too bad to be fixed. Tony, if you have any questions let me know..

Mike
Old 05-21-2002, 08:00 PM

OT . It doesn't sound like a torque convertor problem.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:10 PM

My doctor is Mark Whitten. He's the one that performed on Tiger Woods.

The article is here.
http://www.whittenlasereye.com/asset...s/WashGolf.pdf

So for $3600, I pretty much get the best surgeon in the world for this procedure.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:48 PM

I think my TC is fuct up too now engaging wayyyyyy tooo high...around 3800rpm~!!!~!~!!!~!~!~!~~!

Time to call ProTorque

Old 05-23-2002, 06:24 AM

surprised

whitten is known for doing large amounts of people in a single day back to back. he can do 40+ eyes in a single day. he travels around the u.s with TLC. he is paid per eye.

will he be the one that will be doing your post operative check ups?
did he come up with your pre-operative numbers before the surgery?if he is, it's awsome.
TLC usually charges 5500 but wow/ 3600 is a deal. i think you went through his personal practice instead of TLC to get that price.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:05 AM

Re: surprised

I did go through his personal practice. He didn't do the first pre-op numbers, but on friday he will personally do another one. The post op. check up is going to be done by his partner.

Originally posted by 1HOTMAX
whitten is known for doing large amounts of people in a single day back to back. he can do 40+ eyes in a single day. he travels around the u.s with TLC. he is paid per eye.

will he be the one that will be doing your post operative check ups?
did he come up with your pre-operative numbers before the surgery?if he is, it's awsome.
TLC usually charges 5500 but wow/ 3600 is a deal. i think you went through his personal practice instead of TLC to get that price.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:38 PM

lasik sweat shop!

this is how he can do it so cheap/ he hires od's to see you b4 and after the surgery. like i said, on your day of surgery, he will only look at you for less than 5 minutes and trust the pre-op numbers to treat you. This is fine too, but if you pay that amount/ you should get more one on one service.
i feel the post operrative and pre-opperative care is most important cause the surgery only takes 5 minutes per eye.
anyways Tony, good luck with your surgery/ it's a piece of cake and remember to always look at the red light! remember that during surgery.
btw/ which laser will he be using on you?