General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

throttle control on auto...make any difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002 | 07:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

throttle control on auto...make any difference?

I have a '96 auto w/Don's VB. I noticed that sometimes when cruising on the street, if I floor the gas, there would be a lag. However, if I give it a little gas/blip the gas, then floor it, there's no lag and acceleration is much better. Anyone else experience this? I would get this lag most often, if I happen to brake to slow down, then suddenly floor the gas, there would be lag. However, if instead of flooring it after braking, I give it a bit of gas, then floor it, no lag. Weird. I think this work on the highway too. However, it takes some getting use to because I'm used to just flooring the gas from the start. Darn auto.
Old 06-10-2002 | 08:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I feel what you describe also. Here's what I think makes the lag. When your crusing around normally the tranny might be in 4th gear and the TC might be locked as well if your over 30MPH. Now you suddenly floor it, the tranny has to unlock the TC, then downshift a few gears, up to 2nd or even 1st. That takes some time.

Now if you depress the gas slowly, the TC will unlock, you may even jump into 3rd at that piont. Then you floor it, the tranny only has to downshift one or two gears. MUCH faster response time!
Old 06-10-2002 | 08:59 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I looked at the other post in the 5 spd vs auto part 2 thread. Well I am glad to see it does help with od off.

On a side note, sometimes at 80-100 I push o/d on, it "feels" like a slight kick in the pants, but I could not honestly say if it does anything, I will be playing with it on my next dyno run to see if there is anything there.

On this post, I down shift manually if I think I might need to either slow down fast or accelerate fast. I do it more on the highway than the street. But I know my car well. I know where every gear has a top speed and when the TCU will allow it to down shift.

Most of the time I am above 73 mph, so I just switch od off if I need passing power.

I have not tried blipping the gas, I will today though, and see what that does.

I also think that power mods, those that add hp or tq, affect the preset shift points.

What I mean by that is since there is more hp/tq avail. , sometimes it is not neccesary to down shift. For example, how many times has your tranny down shifted and you end up at 6000 rpms in the lower gear ?

To me at that point the down shift was unnesccesary, I might be wrong, but I think the car has ennough power to carry the higher gear , instead of wasting time with a downshift then another up shift.

Again, I might be incorrect, just my opinon. I REALLY want to hack my ecu & tcu and change everything inside of there with dyno tuning.

Sorry I got a little long winded

bags
Old 06-10-2002 | 09:00 AM

it needs time to think...
Old 06-10-2002 | 09:20 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by Yellowbrother
it needs time to think...

Old 06-10-2002 | 09:37 AM

I don't know if this blipping of the gas really works or it's just in my head. I have a stopwatch, I'll do some testing soon to see if it really make any difference. Yes, the stopwatch method isn't very accurate, but it should give me some idea about this theory.
Old 06-11-2002 | 01:50 AM

Re: throttle control on auto...make any difference?

Originally posted by Cumalot
I have a '96 auto w/Don's VB. I noticed that sometimes when cruising on the street, if I floor the gas, there would be a lag. However, if I give it a little gas/blip the gas, then floor it, there's no lag and acceleration is much better. Anyone else experience this?
It may not just be the auto. In a pursuit driving course, I was taught about "cylinder soaking" or "drenching". Don't know how much it affects a Maxima, but it does a Crown Vic. Here's the theory from the course: When you floor it suddenly, the injectors shoot in a large, sudden burst of cold fuel. The fuel "shot", being cold and in such quantity, doesn't have a truly adequate supply of air for a split second or so. This creates an overly rich mixture for a split second, and therefore a lag. They (NAPD) teach to "almost" floor it at first, then go WOT. I've done this in Crown Vics, and it does seem to work. Haven't tried in my Max. The theory seems logical to me, but I don't have any hard data to back it up. As far as the auto problem, I can definitely relate. I chalk it up to having the convenience of only having to put it in "D" and go!
Old 06-11-2002 | 02:20 AM

Re: Re: throttle control on auto...make any difference?

Originally posted by Dave Holmes

It may not just be the auto. In a pursuit driving course, I was taught about "cylinder soaking" or "drenching". Don't know how much it affects a Maxima, but it does a Crown Vic. Here's the theory from the course: When you floor it suddenly, the injectors shoot in a large, sudden burst of cold fuel. The fuel "shot", being cold and in such quantity, doesn't have a truly adequate supply of air for a split second or so. This creates an overly rich mixture for a split second, and therefore a lag. They (NAPD) teach to "almost" floor it at first, then go WOT. I've done this in Crown Vics, and it does seem to work. Haven't tried in my Max. The theory seems logical to me, but I don't have any hard data to back it up. As far as the auto problem, I can definitely relate. I chalk it up to having the convenience of only having to put it in "D" and go!
I seem to notice that theory in the max also, when I floor it WOT, it seems to lag the downshift but when Im about 80% wot, the car seems to pull alot faster. not shure if its tranny related or not but thats what Ive been noticing happening
Old 06-11-2002 | 04:58 PM

Re: Re: throttle control on auto...make any difference?

Originally posted by Dave Holmes

sounds like the hesitation 2k2 owners are complaining about?
Old 06-11-2002 | 05:05 PM

I don't know if this blipping of the gas really works or it's just in my head. I have a stopwatch, I'll do some testing soon to see if it really make any difference. Yes, the stopwatch method isn't very accurate, but it should give me some idea about this theory.
It does work.
Old 06-11-2002 | 06:16 PM

Anyone notice that crazy speed with 80% throttling from 3rd to second? It like rubs 6 grand for a good 3 seconds, and gives that sexy sound and changes gear with a snap of the neck
Old 06-11-2002 | 07:46 PM

Originally posted by deezo
It does work.

I'm sure it works now. Today I got a few more lags, that was from me braking and then stomping on the gas. Major lag. After that, I brake again, give it a little gas, then go WOT, no lag! Like I said, it's just weird and you have to get use to it.

When you guys blip the gas, do you just give it a bit of gas real quickly and then step on the gas hard like a split second later? That's what I do, real fast. Almost like one fluid motion.
Old 06-11-2002 | 09:10 PM

I'm sure it works now. Today I got a few more lags, that was from me braking and then stomping on the gas. Major lag. After that, I brake again, give it a little gas, then go WOT, no lag! Like I said, it's just weird and you have to get use to it.

When you guys blip the gas, do you just give it a bit of gas real quickly and then step on the gas hard like a split second later? That's what I do, real fast. Almost like one fluid motion.
yes, i learned this by accident when i finally gave up trying to floor it to go faster while in reality there was almost no change in my speed. i just push the pedal down prob 80% (not exactly sure) but until i feel it downshift, then i give it more throttle. seems to work decently - much better than the wot method.
Old 06-12-2002 | 05:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I feel what you describe also. Here's what I think makes the lag. When your crusing around normally the tranny might be in 4th gear and the TC might be locked as well if your over 30MPH. Now you suddenly floor it, the tranny has to unlock the TC, then downshift a few gears, up to 2nd or even 1st. That takes some time.

Now if you depress the gas slowly, the TC will unlock, you may even jump into 3rd at that piont. Then you floor it, the tranny only has to downshift one or two gears. MUCH faster response time!
yup Tom is correct.
Old 06-12-2002 | 07:00 AM

Originally posted by bags533

What I mean by that is since there is more hp/tq avail. , sometimes it is not neccesary to down shift. For example, how many times has your tranny down shifted and you end up at 6000 rpms in the lower gear ?

bags
I hate this. Most of the time I need just a little more power, but if I press the gas harder I end up in a lower gear at real high RPMs. Lately, I've just been turning OD off if I need a little extra power, and it works much better.

What exactly is Overdrive?
Old 06-12-2002 | 07:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think it's best not to turn O/D on/off while in motion. If the car is already working to go to O/D, then telling it not to when it's trying to is probably not good for it. I could be absolutely wrong, as it's mechanical versus electronic, perhaps, but I dunno.
Old 06-12-2002 | 08:37 AM

When I tested it last winter, the car pulled like a bastard all the way up to 80 from 20. The tires wanted to brake loose.

tifosiv122 posted something about this during the winter.
Old 06-12-2002 | 10:59 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I have been doing this for quite some times. It works the best when you double pumps the gas peddle.
Old 06-20-2002 | 05:41 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
I have been doing this for quite some times. It works the best when you double pumps the gas peddle.

Just wondering Tony, do you do this double pump of the gas peddle all the time? Have you ever experienced any more lags since doing the double pump of the gas? I have tried this and so far it worked.

The blipping of the gas peddle doesn't seem to work for me all the time, I still get the lag sometimes.

Also, when the car is in the lag mode, is there anything that can be done? I tried letting off the gas, and then stepping on the gas again, letting off the gas and double pump the gas, and letting off the gas and blipping the gas, nothing worked. I had to let off completely for a few seconds, then step on the gas, and the lag would then went away.

This really sucks. I think the lag will always be there. There's just nothing I can really do about it. Arrggghhh...