General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Second worst luck with my max next to Eric....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 11:48 PM

Second worst luck with my max next to Eric....

Tranny is messed up AGAIN....

went the the track....got 4 runs it.....let Nealoc187 run my car....he launched fine...then the car wouldn't go into second gear for him....he came back around....and parked...and sure enough....no first or second gear.....on the drive home I was able to get it into first....and it worked fine....then second finally went in...BUT it just free-revved in second...like the gear wasn't even there....I'm thinking shift fork...but I'm not sure...pulling the trans tomorrow morning....wish me luck guys...
Old 06-11-2002, 11:53 PM
Sports Button FTW

your scaring me man.....stop giving me reasons NOT to do conversion....wish u luck wit that
Old 06-12-2002, 06:17 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wow...you're luck may be worse than Eric's!

Did you keep the same transmission (I assume) when you did the engine swap?

Sorry to hear.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Second worst luck with my max next to Eric....

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

went the the track....got 4 runs it.....let Nealoc187 run my car....he launched fine...then the car wouldn't go into second gear for him....he came back around....and parked...and sure enough....no first or second gear.....on the drive home I was able to get it into first....and it worked fine....then second finally went in...BUT it just free-revved in second...like the gear wasn't even there....I'm thinking shift fork...but I'm not sure...pulling the trans tomorrow morning....wish me luck guys...
As soon as my final exam is done I'll be at your house to give you a hand, but I'll call first! It was still fun running at 120MPH yesterday on the expressway!
Old 06-12-2002, 06:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Second worst luck with my max next to Eric....

It always happens. The weakest link will always fail. It would have been nice to drop a Level 10 5 speed in that puppy when you did the engine swap.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:41 AM
Blu
the tits

that sucks i hope the problem is easy and cheap to fix
Old 06-12-2002, 07:17 AM

Ohhh boy. The transmission woes. Let me ask you this- Does the gear shift actually go into place, or does it just not let you into the 2nd gear slot?

If its the former you probably have a blown second gear like I did. When the teeth got wrung off of the input shaft causing it to just spin freely.

If the latter then maybe its one of the forks or rods thats screwed up.

I hope my transmission holds up cause I'm probably never gonna find another one like I did before. I found one with 16,000 miles with a busted case but otherwise perfect condition for $250. I wonder if my cryogenic treating did anything.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:26 AM

is what a blown second gear looks like. Notice the 2 stripped gears on the 2 shafts...
Old 06-12-2002, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by ejj5875
Wow...you're luck may be worse than Eric's!

Did you keep the same transmission (I assume) when you did the engine swap?

Sorry to hear.
yea...cuz I have the quaife...so I can't just find a new tranny and swap them....I have to rip it open and swap the quaife too.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Ohhh boy. The transmission woes. Let me ask you this- Does the gear shift actually go into place, or does it just not let you into the 2nd gear slot?

If its the former you probably have a blown second gear like I did. When the teeth got wrung off of the input shaft causing it to just spin freely.

If the latter then maybe its one of the forks or rods thats screwed up.

I hope my transmission holds up cause I'm probably never gonna find another one like I did before. I found one with 16,000 miles with a busted case but otherwise perfect condition for $250. I wonder if my cryogenic treating did anything.

I don't know if I should pop my tranny open myself....or take it to the tranny shop....it's only 4 days out of warrenty...sucks
Old 06-12-2002, 08:14 AM

I don't know if I should pop my tranny open myself....or take it to the tranny shop....it's only 4 days out of warrenty...sucks
Oh geeze! Now thats some bad luck. Can you pop the shifter into the slot or does it not go in at all?