General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

borla exhaust, the absolute perfect setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 09:20 AM

borla exhaust, the absolute perfect setup

hello everyone, i'm pleased to announce i found a great alternative to the high $$$ non stainless catback's offered. it took me a few tries, but it's perfect now. thank goodness! ok guys, i think i've found the perfect exhaust! i used to have an N1 style canister. it was too LOUD and unliveable for day to day driving. i decided to order a borla turbo muffler and 3.5" angled intercooled tip. it arrived within a week and i had it welded on today. it sounds great! it has the loudness and deepness i want when on the throttle. it's loud but not so loud that it hurts your ears. most importantly, NO DRONE! you guys have no idea how happy i am there's no drone and it's a true straight through muffler. no more riceboy sound, riceboy can and nasty looks from people drivin by. my whole exhaust is stainless steel 2.25" pipe! if i did it right the first time it would have cost less than $400. it reminds me of my intake. it growls hard (not hurting my ears at all), nice and deep at hard throttle and becomes silent at cruise. best of both worlds. it's so nice, everyone should have my freakin setup! anyway, that's my contribution to the maxima community for now. glad i could test a few mufflers out for you guys.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:51 AM

Sounds good, have a recording we could listen to maybe?
Old 06-17-2002, 09:54 AM

Re: borla exhaust, the absolute perfect setup

Turbo muffler? Intercooled Tip? Wtf?
Old 06-17-2002, 10:03 AM
Blu
the tits

how about a sound clip
Old 06-17-2002, 10:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: borla exhaust, the absolute perfect setup

Originally posted by VQdriver
my whole exhaust is stainless steel 2.25" pipe!
I thought the stock exhaust piping was 2.25"... why would you get the same diameter pipe? Most aftermarket b-pipes for the Max are 2.5".
Old 06-17-2002, 12:58 PM

Re: Re: borla exhaust, the absolute perfect setup

Originally posted by CalsonicSE

I thought the stock exhaust piping was 2.25"... why would you get the same diameter pipe? Most aftermarket b-pipes for the Max are 2.5".
the sales person at courtesy nissan mentioned to me that their bpipe is a direct stock replacement and 2.25". however the resonator section is much smaller than stock. on an NA car, 2.25 is all you're gonna need. as long as it's free flowing, you're gonna get some gain.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:02 PM

Re: Re: borla exhaust, the absolute perfect setup

Originally posted by ereet
Turbo muffler? Intercooled Tip? Wtf?
sorry guys. i don't know if i can provide a sound clip anytime soon. i will say the sound is comparable to the greddy if not a little louder. it's not unpleasant by far and there is NO DRONE. i know, because my N1 had a downright deafening interior sound. besides, the sound clip won't help at all in terms of sound intensity. it sounds rich, deep and not tinny. it's loud, but nowhere near rattling your eardrums. quiet at 5th cruise from 40mph and up. best of both worlds if you ask me.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:43 PM

how much did it cost you and where did u buy it from?
Old 06-17-2002, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by 95sickGLE
the bpipe from courtesynissan was around $190+ship. the SS test pipe (optional) from warpspeed was $55. the borla proXS muffler was $75 on sale now, intercooled SS tip was $55; both from huskerperformance.com. welding a flange and welding the muffler with extension, $45. so that's around $420 plus shipping. it's stainless except for the flange and extension (aluminized). this is a complete catback plus test pipe. you can probably save if you don't buy a SS test pipe, substitute a warpspeed aluminized bpipe (apx $150ish), and but a cheaper tip. it will probably look better if the tip is angle cut incase the muffler must slant downward. mine looks perfect. i'll get pics soon.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:36 PM

the bpipe from courtesynissan was around $190+ship. the SS test pipe (optional) from warpspeed was $55. the borla proXS muffler was $75 on sale now, intercooled SS tip was $55; both from huskerperformance.com. welding a flange and welding the muffler with extension, $45. so that's around $420 plus shipping. it's stainless except for the flange and extension (aluminized). this is a complete catback plus test pipe. you can probably save if you don't buy a SS test pipe, substitute a warpspeed aluminized bpipe (apx $150ish), and but a cheaper tip. it will probably look better if the tip is angle cut incase the muffler must slant downward. mine looks perfect. i'll get pics soon.
VQdriver:

Quick question, in your first post you said that you installed a turbo muffler and in this post you mention that you bought the borla proXS muffler for $75. I checked on the borla website and apparently the turbo muffler is different from the proXS mufflers. So which one did you get? Also did you get the center/center or the offset/center muffler.

I wanted to do the same kind of setup and I was searching for a muffler that did not drone at highway speeds. Your setup seems perfect. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:40 PM

PLEASE post a sound clip. I am looking for an exhaust that is nice and quiet cruising, but when I stand on it, sounds nice deep and throaty, but not the riceburner stuff. I had a built VW Scirocco with a 2 chamber flowmaster that sounded nice, but was a tad loud for a 4 door sedan. Besides I didn't have a radio on the VW so I liked the loud exhaust. I plan on listening to the radio in my max.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by nizmo

VQdriver:

Quick question, in your first post you said that you installed a turbo muffler and in this post you mention that you bought the borla proXS muffler for $75. I checked on the borla website and apparently the turbo muffler is different from the proXS mufflers. So which one did you get? Also did you get the center/center or the offset/center muffler.

I wanted to do the same kind of setup and I was searching for a muffler that did not drone at highway speeds. Your setup seems perfect. Thanks for letting us know.
the only reason i bought the proXS is because it was on sale for $75 at huskerperformance. i called up borla themselves and they told me that the proXS is "exactly the same as the turbo." the turbo muffler sells for $99. i think the only reason the proXS is cheaper is because they deal in bulk and they're marked to sell in department chain stores. i can tell you personally the proXS is the same because we used to have a catback on an old 90 4 runner. mine is same muffler only stamped "borla proXS" on the outside. i happened to order 2.25" and offset center because my guy at the mufflershop told me it would be best (all my piping is 2.25). hope this helps!

to the other guy wanting the sound clip. i assure you, the tone is a VERY deep burble on idle and speed. on the exterior, VERY liveable on the interior! believe me people will hear you when you're on the throttle! it's quiet at cruising speeds above 40mph. the faster you go, the quieter it gets (50-60mph). i haven't gone past 70mph yet since i've had this setup for a day. i'll keep you posted this afternoon. take it from me though. i made the mistake of getting a canister N1 style muffler and that was horrible. this is my second go at it and it's absolutely perfect. aggressive when you want it, quiet when you don't want sound. what surprises me is they are both straight thru/see thru mufflers, but the borla sounds amazing and the N1 style sounded like crap.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Maxima_Van_WA
PLEASE post a sound clip. I am looking for an exhaust that is nice and quiet cruising, but when I stand on it, sounds nice deep and throaty, but not the riceburner stuff. I had a built VW Scirocco with a 2 chamber flowmaster that sounded nice, but was a tad loud for a 4 door sedan. Besides I didn't have a radio on the VW so I liked the loud exhaust. I plan on listening to the radio in my max.
3-chamber flowmaster sounds perfect on a maxima w/ a test pipe and resonator removed. Just dont get one if you have a y-pipe.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:15 AM

so no drone? I could get used to that. Whenever I'm cruising at about 2k rpm, the thing drives me crazy. But then again, I'm getting a WSP B-pipe with no resonator at the end of the summer, so I guess I like the loudness.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
so no drone? I could get used to that. Whenever I'm cruising at about 2k rpm, the thing drives me crazy. But then again, I'm getting a WSP B-pipe with no resonator at the end of the summer, so I guess I like the loudness.
there's a good and bad loudness. good loudness is what i have now. no drone. bad loudness is what i used to have. the kind that drives you nuts and you aren't even going fast! the borla is loud when you're on the gas, but it's nowhere close to rattling your ears. there is no drone at constant speed, just a pleasant rumble. it's what borla describes as turning the bass on your stereo system up, only for your engine. ypipes tend to make everything louder. if you want close to stock sound, better find something else.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:25 PM

cool, now I kno what kind of setup to get when I have the cash next month. Thanks for posting man.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:54 PM
CJP

Thanks for the posting, I am about to do my exhaust as well. I have the y-pipe sitting in my bedroom. That SS tip you mentioned looks like it only comes with a 2.5" inlet. Is this right? Shouldn't i buy a tip with a 2.25" inlet to connect from the b-pipe? Also, the muffler you're talking about is the Borla Turbo Offset/Offset retail price: $146.99 Sale price: $75.00, right?

Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2002, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by CJP
Thanks for the posting, I am about to do my exhaust as well. I have the y-pipe sitting in my bedroom. That SS tip you mentioned looks like it only comes with a 2.5" inlet. Is this right? Shouldn't i buy a tip with a 2.25" inlet to connect from the b-pipe? Also, the muffler you're talking about is the Borla Turbo Offset/Offset retail price: $146.99 Sale price: $75.00, right?

Thanks again!

the muffler i got was the borla proXS 2.25" inlet/outlet offset/center muffler which is on sale for $75. http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/permufstains.html. the muffler shop can make the 3.5" intercooled angle tip fit anything. ask the salesperson to hook you up. this muffler tucks right inside the maxima perfectly. the tip is beautifully polished and just the right size. perfect if you don't want to attract visual attention. however they will definately hear you one last thing, i tested it out on the highway finally. deep rumbling sound up to 40mph on the gas and while cruising with a slight crackle when you let off. from 50mph-60mph cruise, it's completely silent. from 70-90mph there is a VERY slight sound. each sound is distinctly borla rich. and of course any speed is deep and loud so long as you give her throttle! what more can you ask for? it's more pleasing than when i first got the intake.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:41 PM

mine looks perfect. i'll get pics soon.
Any pics yet?
Old 07-21-2002, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by mitch33x

Any pics yet?
ok i must admit i got lazy. it looks pretty sleeper. it looks exactly like stock, only the canister is a smaller (stainless) version. the tip is 3.5" round oval which still looks very stock when seen from behind. i'll see if my friend can snap a shot of the exhaust for me sometime soon.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:07 PM

i'll see if my friend can snap a shot of the exhaust for me sometime soon.
sounds good...
Old 07-21-2002, 06:47 PM

ok i must admit i got lazy. it looks pretty sleeper. it looks exactly like stock, only the canister is a smaller (stainless) version. the tip is 3.5" round oval which still looks very stock when seen from behind. i'll see if my friend can snap a shot of the exhaust for me sometime soon.

too bad you're not in florida!! my new camera can record short movies and sound....so i can use it to take pics, make movies, and make sound clips of my exhaust!!!....way cool
Old 07-21-2002, 09:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Glad you like your new setup! I love my Borla too, they sound great.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:36 PM
2K1HoMax

VQdriver:

1 question, what offset did u get? center/offset, or offset offset which seems to be the only 1 for $75(probably that one) but mine 5th gen (dont know if muffler placement is diff, should be same) but offset/offset would look kinda weird unless the positioned the muffler at a wierd angle. just wondering hope u can clear this up and how they fit it. thanx

Old 07-23-2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax
VQdriver:

1 question, what offset did u get? center/offset, or offset offset which seems to be the only 1 for $75(probably that one) but mine 5th gen (dont know if muffler placement is diff, should be same) but offset/offset would look kinda weird unless the positioned the muffler at a wierd angle. just wondering hope u can clear this up and how they fit it. thanx
i got the borla proXS 2.25 inlet/outlet in offset/center. click on the website and order using the phone number provided on the site. ask them if you can have a proXS muffler in offset/center. it may or may not be on sale. don't forget to order a tip. good luck. http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/permufstains.html.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:18 PM

i got the borla proXS 2.25 inlet/outlet in offset/center. click on the website and order using the phone number provided on the site. ask them if you can have a proXS muffler in offset/center. it may or may not be on sale. don't forget to order a tip. good luck. http://www.exhaustproslinc.com/permufstains.html.
sorry to bother again......got any pics of your muffler/tip?
Old 11-25-2002, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by 95sickGLE
i nearly vomitted upon the sight of your sig pic...
Old 11-25-2002, 01:27 PM

what more can you ask for?
get Frankencar's midpipe and couple it with your stillen hi-flo.

you will love the way that sounds and you will FEEL gains.

thank me later
Old 11-25-2002, 02:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what the hell is an intercooled tip? I realllly want to know

by the way, if i were any of you, I would do what i did.... Custom stainless 2.5 inch catback(including cat) with stainless straight through muffler with mandrel bending all around.....$320 made and installed. Plus i have the budget y pipe. all i get are compliments on my exhaust and how deep it is. never go for the name, go for the gain
Old 11-25-2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
what the hell is an intercooled tip? I realllly want to know

by the way, if i were any of you, I would do what i did.... Custom stainless 2.5 inch catback(including cat) with stainless straight through muffler with mandrel bending all around.....$320 made and installed. Plus i have the budget y pipe. all i get are compliments on my exhaust and how deep it is. never go for the name, go for the gain
what brand of muffler?
Old 11-25-2002, 03:52 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

You can get an Apexi WS for less than that.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by I30tMikeD

You can get an Apexi WS for less than that.
yea, but it ain't stainless.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:54 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

yea, but it ain't stainless.
True,
Old 11-26-2002, 09:28 AM

Borla is located in Oxnard Calif. where I grew up. My cousin worked for them and I almost got a job there. (phone company hired me first) I can still get the Bro deal from them. I live about 2 hrs from them and visit all the time in Oxnard. They make an awesome product with a great warranty. My Brother got the exhaust manifold all the way back to tips and it was awesome. I am going to try to score a complete system for my '02 SE Maxima....
Old 11-26-2002, 02:22 PM

Another person has switched to borla. Good choice, i have had mine for about 6months and i love it too.