General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

yet another oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 04:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yet another oil ?

I know everyone is sick of posts about oil but I need help.
I did the search and didnt find my answer.

For the past 2 years I ran mobil 1 fully syn, then ran the mobil 1 tri-syn when they switchd, NOW I dont know if I should go on to the mobil 1 super syn???? Is this better than the tri-syn??

Or shoild I just order some amsoil or redline???

Is there any true fully synthetic available for sale in store??

I can still buy the tri-syn, should I just get this??

Man Im confused!! I spent 15 minutes in the store reading oil labels and cant decide!!

If you want to flame for my post go ahead. just provide an answer.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

There is a long discussion regarding the differences already
Old 06-18-2002, 04:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jeff92se
There is a long discussion regarding the differences already
I cant find it

could you help me out with a link?? Please.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:29 PM
I'm needing a caw

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending
Old 06-18-2002, 09:57 PM

Throw some Royal Purple in there, WiLL. I used their Racing Oil #21 first & now I'm using the regular 5W30 SAE synthetic... but I think it's a pertoleum-based synthetic. It's supposed to contain the SYNERLEC anti-wear agent. ROYAL PURPLE WEBSITE It's expensive, though... around $6/qt after shipping. JEGS.COM has the best pricing. I think I'm the only one using it here... so try it & you can be the 2nd one

G
Old 06-19-2002, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE
Throw some Royal Purple in there, WiLL. I used their Racing Oil #21 first & now I'm using the regular 5W30 SAE synthetic... but I think it's a pertoleum-based synthetic. It's supposed to contain the SYNERLEC anti-wear agent. ROYAL PURPLE WEBSITE It's expensive, though... around $6/qt after shipping. JEGS.COM has the best pricing. I think I'm the only one using it here... so try it & you can be the 2nd one

G
Or you could use something with a little more proven history, especially in Maxima's.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:45 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: yet another oil ?

Originally posted by ChillWill2000
I know everyone is sick of posts about oil but I need help.
I did the search and didnt find my answer.

For the past 2 years I ran mobil 1 fully syn, then ran the mobil 1 tri-syn when they switchd, NOW I dont know if I should go on to the mobil 1 super syn???? Is this better than the tri-syn??

Or shoild I just order some amsoil or redline???

Is there any true fully synthetic available for sale in store??

I can still buy the tri-syn, should I just get this??

Man Im confused!! I spent 15 minutes in the store reading oil labels and cant decide!!

If you want to flame for my post go ahead. just provide an answer.
Empirically, the SuperSyn and Tri-Syn are VERY similar. The SuperSyn, however, does have a lower (10%) initial viscosity reading. You can take that however you want (i.e. A lower initial viscosity means it's "thinner" and won't protect as well; or you can say it should hold up "better" to longer drain intervals because it has a lower initial viscosity value).

The TBN for the Super Syn is 12.5, higher than Amsoil or any other oil that has been analyzed. The TBN for Tri-Synthetic is 12.2.....However, TBN only tells half the story. The only way to know for sure how it "holds up" over mileage is for you to use it and participate in the oil analysis spreadsheet by having an analysis done and sharing your results......

To me, SuperSyn appears better, but we won't know until those here try it and see.

I have no issues recommending it, although I will say it is a shade darker than Tri-Synthetic for you oil color-***** who think color is the only indication of an oil's effectivess.....
Old 06-19-2002, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Or you could use something with a little more proven history, especially in Maxima's.
Dude, my friend has been using every kind of oil in his 1995 SE w/194,000miles, from Mobil-1, to Castrol GTX, to noname-crap & has had ZERO problems with his Max. He recently had to change transmission bearings, and the car still drives like new... I drove it! And he REALLY abuses it! (5spd) He thinks I'm a fool for paying $6/qt... maybe he's right?

So it doesn't really matter which oil is used for everyday driving, unless you plan to keep your car for 800,000+ miles. Actually another friend services taxis & limos & he's shown me cars w/ 850,000miles on them, with original engines! But cabbies change their oil like once every week or two... so I dunno about the "extended oil change intervals" Amsoil claims.

Now if you're racing... that's another story. Get some low-visco Racing Oil...

G
Old 06-20-2002, 05:58 AM

so I dunno about the "extended oil change intervals" Amsoil claims.
Have you bothered reading the Oil Analysis Spreadsheet? If so, go take a gander. It's good reading.

Both of my vehicles have been 16k and 14k on Amsoil, respectively. One had only a filter change over the course of a year, while the other one didn't even have a filter change......

Nothing wrong with extended drain intervals on Maximas.....with Hondas you have to be a little more cautious.....
Old 06-20-2002, 07:19 AM

Now if you're racing... that's another story. Get some low-visco Racing Oil...

G
That's a catch 22 also. If you use racing oil for a track event, it should be changed soon after. The "racing" oils typically don't have any/little detergents/dispersants in them so are not suited for use in a car primarily driven on the street where longevity is a factor.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:48 PM

Relax

Stay with the new Mobil 1. Its served you well thru the years. I doubt seriously Mobil would delberately screw up a dominate brand in the market. That would be irrational. The more that is known about the new oil, the more it appears to be holding its own, if not a genuine improvement. I think you're seeing a lot of unsubstantiated fear and opinion over reacting to a modest formula change change and complinace with the new API SL standard. Nothing more. Besides the new SL standard is much better than the SJ standard. In the absence of any empirical data, stick with your instincts and ignore the over reaction. I could be wrong, but I trust the M1 oil analysis reports submited to bill99gxe will ultimately qwell the fear.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Have you bothered reading the Oil Analysis Spreadsheet? If so, go take a gander. It's good reading.

Both of my vehicles have been 16k and 14k on Amsoil, respectively. One had only a filter change over the course of a year, while the other one didn't even have a filter change......

Nothing wrong with extended drain intervals on Maximas.....with Hondas you have to be a little more cautious.....
I'm curious... Isn't one of the Analysis Labs partly owned/operated by Amsoil? That's my only concern... not being a Chemical Engineer, I don't know what the analysis is supposed to display & what does that mean as far as your engine is concerned? Maybe I'll go through it one of these days... but why does it have to be soooo darn long, Bill?...

G
Old 06-21-2002, 06:13 AM

I'm curious... Isn't one of the Analysis Labs partly owned/operated by Amsoil? That's my only concern... not being a Chemical Engineer, I don't know what the analysis is supposed to display & what does that mean as far as your engine is concerned? Maybe I'll go through it one of these days... but why does it have to be soooo darn long, Bill?...

G

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=100060

That's why I recommend Blackstone Labs (I use them personally) and most participants here use them. That way, the conspiracy theorists won't waste everyone's time with "well of course Amsoil tested better, they fixed it, BLAH BLAH BLAH".....
Old 06-21-2002, 06:34 AM

If you really think about it Amsoil probably errors on the side of caution when doing the analysis. They don't want to fork out any money towards repair costs and damage to their reputation. I definately understand about the bias part. Whenever I show anyone Amsoils testing they automatically say, "well of course their test shows them as best". They say this without even considering that it was done at an independant lab.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Virus
If you really think about it Amsoil probably errors on the side of caution when doing the analysis. They don't want to fork out any money towards repair costs and damage to their reputation. I definately understand about the bias part. Whenever I show anyone Amsoils testing they automatically say, "well of course their test shows them as best". They say this without even considering that it was done at an independant lab.
Do you have analyses that you haven't shared with the class?