General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

tires--Michelin XGT H/V4, Dunlop Sport 5000

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2000, 10:56 AM

I am planning to get a new set of tires, since the OEM Yokohamas that came with my car isn't that great in wet traction (in fact, it sucks pretty badly). I am trying to decide between the Michelin XGT H/V4's or the Dunlop sport 5000--both of which are for high performance, all season tires. Has anyone driven with either tires and perhaps comment on them? Yesterday in the rain, I hydroplaned with the Yokohamas, and I just need a better set of performance, all season tires. thanks for your thoughts.
=)
Old 09-05-2000, 11:36 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by humaras
I am planning to get a new set of tires, since the OEM Yokohamas that came with my car isn't that great in wet traction (in fact, it sucks pretty badly). I am trying to decide between the Michelin XGT H/V4's or the Dunlop sport 5000--both of which are for high performance, all season tires. Has anyone driven with either tires and perhaps comment on them? Yesterday in the rain, I hydroplaned with the Yokohamas, and I just need a better set of performance, all season tires. thanks for your thoughts.
=)
Well don't let the "high performance" fool you. I went from the stock A05 to the Bridgeston Potenza RE71 to SP5000. The RE71 is an EXCELLENT tire. Awesome performance, fantastic wet weather performance, but loud and wear as a all summer tire should.

SP5000s are QUIET... that' the first impression I got from them. Wet weather performance is as expected from an all season tire. My main reasons for going to SP5000 was 1) noise and 2) wear. Since I drive about 800 miles a week, wear is a big issue for me.

Back to performance, they are going to be a great improvement over the yokos, but please remember that these aren't all out performance tires, so don't expect them to perform as such. Slow speed turns, say in parking garage wil lmake them squeal... high speed turns pushing the limits of the tires will make them howl. One thing that's nice about the SP5k's is that you can tell when you are reaching the limits.

Would I buy SP5k's again? yes I would.

-Shing
Old 09-05-2000, 11:37 AM

I have the Michelins

I have the Michelin XGT H4 Pilots on my old car (not the Maxima) and I can't compare them to Dunlops but I can tell you that they DO beat the **** out of the Firestone SS10s I had previously, and the Firestones beat the **** out of the Eagle GT+4s I had before that. The Goodyears were great on dry pavement and great in the rain, but they WORE OUT after 30,000 miles. I've had both the Goodyear Eagle GTs and the +4s and they both handled great but they sucked BIG TIME in the wear department.

I think you will be very happy with the Michelins in the rain, and they had (as I recall) an excellent wear rating on Tire Rack. Unfortunatley (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), the handling capabilities of the Michelins far exceed my Delta-88 with sport suspension so now with that car it is the car that is the weak link, not the tires.

I got the XGT H4s just a few months ago and they are the best tires I've ever had, short of the P7000s I have on the Maxima.

-Greg

Old 09-05-2000, 12:05 PM

Re: I have the Michelins

thank you for your response and your experience with the xgt's. Back a couple of years ago, I recall having a set of Michelin XGT H4's on my dad's Acura. Of course those tires have long been changed (since we no longer have the car). I do notice the tread pattern is different in the new pilots XGTs. I was very happy with the old version of the XGTs, but they made a lot of noise at high speeds. This time around, I wasn't sure if the new tread would be quieter--which is why I was also looking at the Dunlops.
thanks GregP
Old 09-05-2000, 12:12 PM

I was actually looking at the RE71's because a friend of mien had those tires and he spoke very highly of how it gripped the road when it rained. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any of them in the 205/65 15 size or 215/60 15 for the stock wheels I have. :l
Old 09-05-2000, 02:43 PM

I have the SP5000's. They are great tires. I think the Michelins will have better overall performance and wear, but they are far more expensive than the Dunlop SP5000's.

Tirerack's test ranked the SP5000's over the Pilot XGTZ4's.

Old 09-05-2000, 03:33 PM
Johnny

standard equipment on

Hyundai Elantra, the XGT H4. My little bro picked one up at $850 below invoice. I have to admit, the car has the fit/finish of a '95 Camry, plus 140 hp.

I was really surprised that the Michelins came standard. some of the older ones go shod with Hankook cheapies. Man, Hyundai has come of age. I actually think the Tiburon looks good from the back.

Old 09-05-2000, 03:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree w/ Shing...

Originally posted by Shingles
Originally posted by humaras
=)
Well don't let the "high performance" fool you. I went from the stock A05 to the Bridgeston Potenza RE71 to SP5000. The RE71 is an EXCELLENT tire. Awesome performance, fantastic wet weather performance, but loud and wear as a all summer tire should.

SP5000s are QUIET... that' the first impression I got from them. Wet weather performance is as expected from an all season tire. My main reasons for going to SP5000 was 1) noise and 2) wear. Since I drive about 800 miles a week, wear is a big issue for me.

Back to performance, they are going to be a great improvement over the yokos, but please remember that these aren't all out performance tires, so don't expect them to perform as such. Slow speed turns, say in parking garage wil lmake them squeal... high speed turns pushing the limits of the tires will make them howl. One thing that's nice about the SP5k's is that you can tell when you are reaching the limits.

Would I buy SP5k's again? yes I would.

-Shing
I've had SP5K's on my 95SC since last winter and am very pleased with them. I'd call them a true 4 season performance tire. If I was running seperate summer wheels & tires I would have gone for something stickier but these tires have done well in rain, snow, and sun. They are also very predictable, giving you plenty of notice when they are about to let go.

I got myself into trouble recently on an exit ramp and was really impressed by the way the tires held on, began to complain, and then let go during moderate braking and hard cornering. All in all there was plenty of time for me to adjust. My susp. mods didn't hurt either but the SP5K's make a nice addition to any susp. system.

Jim
Old 09-06-2000, 06:35 AM

Re: standard equipment on

hey, those suckers come with a 100k powertrain warranty...that is soemthing...