General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HID bulb blew out

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 10:02 AM

HID bulb blew out

My right HID bulb blew out, need a replacement ASAP. Does anyone know a store where I can get a replacement bulbs in the NJ area. I called Audio Links in Jersey City but one no is picking up the phone. I'm driving around with one headlight, need to replace this soon before I get a ticket or something. I am interested in the Hanabi bulb's (purple), does anyone know a store that carries them besides Audio Links?

Thanks..
Old 07-05-2002, 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

contact Freddy , i think his handle is 97GLE or soemthing of the sort.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:30 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Freddie's email is FS820@webtv.net
His shop (Audio Links- 201-420-6792) probably is closed due to July 4th holiday.

Best thing to do in the meantime is plug in generic 9004 bulbs into the OE harness until you can get a hold of Freddie. Them HID bulbs aren't cheap
Old 07-06-2002, 08:11 AM

Freddie just emailed me. He doesn't have them in stock but he will call to find out if he can get them.

Thanks guys...
Old 07-06-2002, 09:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

These bulbs are supposed to last a while. Did yours get handled a lot? ie. put in, swapped out, etc. Since getting them, I have been fearful the capsules will fail so I've kept handling to a minimum. They have not been out since installation.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:00 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

JerzMax - I have a set of Purple bulbs I'm not using. I can make you a sweet deal on them.

Check you PM's
Old 07-06-2002, 12:37 PM

do i hear 6000k??
Old 07-06-2002, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh
These bulbs are supposed to last a while. Did yours get handled a lot? ie. put in, swapped out, etc. Since getting them, I have been fearful the capsules will fail so I've kept handling to a minimum. They have not been out since installation.
I never took them out. Once it was installed, never took it out. The other day, all of a sudden the right bulb just shut off. Now when I turn the lights on, the right bulb turns on, gets bright purple, flickers, then shuts off. I took out the bulb and it was a dark grayish color in the middle. So I'm pretty sure its blown out right? The filament went bad.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by JerzMax
I never took them out. Once it was installed, never took it out. The other day, all of a sudden the right bulb just shut off. Now when I turn the lights on, the right bulb turns on, gets bright purple, flickers, then shuts off. I took out the bulb and it was a dark grayish color in the middle. So I'm pretty sure its blown out right? The filament went bad.
Hmmm. Here's the thing...there is no filament. HID capsules are just gas-filled. The glass is sensitive to contamination but if the glass is intact, I would assume that the capsule is still good, unless you there is damage that cannot be seen. Unfortunately, the ballasts can and do break. Have you tried switching the bulbs to the other side? I would definitely see if the "bad" bulb works on the other side. If it does, your ballast is probably shot. Since the HID ignites, the starter is probably fine.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:30 PM

Hmmm. Here's the thing...there is no filament. HID capsules are just gas-filled. The glass is sensitive to contamination but if the glass is intact, I would assume that the capsule is still good, unless you there is damage that cannot be seen. Unfortunately, the ballasts can and do break. Have you tried switching the bulbs to the other side? I would definitely see if the "bad" bulb works on the other side. If it does, your ballast is probably shot. Since the HID ignites, the starter is probably fine.
Your right, there is no filament. I compared both of the bulbs, the right bulb appeared to be darker then the left. How can the ballast be shot already, it has been less than a year since I got the HID's.
The ballast are secured and fit.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by JerzMax
Your right, there is no filament. I compared both of the bulbs, the right bulb appeared to be darker then the left. How can the ballast be shot already, it has been less than a year since I got the HID's.
The ballast are secured and fit.
The bulb may very well be shot but just looking at the color may not tell you much. Like all electrical components, the ballast can fail. I've replace the ballasts on flourescent lighting units several times in the past. Although a different lighting system altogether, failures can and do happen to the ballasts. Before you go buying a new set of bulbs, it behooves you to make sure that is the problem.

The thing that gets me (and makes me think that the bulb may not be the problem) is that you say the bulb still lights up and then flickers and dies out... Does it look normal when it lights up initially before it dies out?
Old 07-06-2002, 09:13 PM

The bulb may very well be shot but just looking at the color may not tell you much. Like all electrical components, the ballast can fail. I've replace the ballasts on flourescent lighting units several times in the past. Although a different lighting system altogether, failures can and do happen to the ballasts. Before you go buying a new set of bulbs, it behooves you to make sure that is the problem.

The thing that gets me (and makes me think that the bulb may not be the problem) is that you say the bulb still lights up and then flickers and dies out... Does it look normal when it lights up initially before it dies out?
When it lights up, for like a second it looks normal, then it gets real bright purple, then start flickering and dies out.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:10 PM

Check the harness. I had a problem with my right one a while back, found out by wiggling the harness it would come back on. I had to cut the stock plug off and wire it directly, replace a relay and it worked from then on. My stock plug was melted slightly.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:15 PM

I just swapped the lights to see if it was the ballast that was bad, but its not. Now I'm certain that its the bulb thats blown