General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

If youve replaced your stock fuel pump, please read...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 03:51 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

If youve replaced your stock fuel pump, please read...

Moderators, please do not move this for at a few hours, PLEASE!!! I'm desperate and need people to read this...

Okay, for those that have replaced their stock fuel pump, does anyone still have their good working stock one? If you do, and you want to make some money (who doesnt!) I need one for a short period of time. I'm having fuel pressure problems, and the only thing I haven't checked is my Walborro pump, and I no longer have my stock pump. I'll give anyone money for shipping both ways, and a rental/security fee if they let me borrow their pump for a couple days. I just need to find out if mine is bad or not, then I'll order another one. PLEASE, if anyone can help, let me know. Thanks in advance....
Old 07-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Ramius83

Re: If youve replaced your stock fuel pump, please read...

Originally posted by mtrai760
Moderators, please do not move this for at a few hours, PLEASE!!! I'm desperate and need people to read this...

Okay, for those that have replaced their stock fuel pump, does anyone still have their good working stock one? If you do, and you want to make some money (who doesnt!) I need one for a short period of time. I'm having fuel pressure problems, and the only thing I haven't checked is my Walborro pump, and I no longer have my stock pump. I'll give anyone money for shipping both ways, and a rental/security fee if they let me borrow their pump for a couple days. I just need to find out if mine is bad or not, then I'll order another one. PLEASE, if anyone can help, let me know. Thanks in advance....
I will let you borrow mine, give it that you pay for shipping only. you don't have to worry about the "rental fees"....

Old 07-08-2002, 03:59 PM
Ramius83

P.M. me or email me at Ramius83@aol.com....

Old 07-08-2002, 04:00 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Re: If youve replaced your stock fuel pump, please read...

I'll send ya the money right now. How much do you want for shipping? I can just send ya like, $25 or so, let me know. Email me your address blubottlemax@hotmail.com
Thanks Eric.
Matt

Originally posted by Ramius83

I will let you borrow mine, give it that you pay for shipping only. you don't have to worry about the "rental fees"....
Old 07-08-2002, 04:03 PM
Ramius83

I just emailed you......

Old 07-08-2002, 04:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Matt is it just losing pressure when the level is low ie 1/3 or less or does it do it when the tank is full as well?
Old 07-08-2002, 04:45 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Matt, if you think it may be the fuel pump... double check all your electrical connections under the seat 1st... it's fairly easy to do.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:49 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Another thought...

Voltage dropping resistor for the fuel pump for emissions purposes... I think '97+ had them... I don't know where it is but it may be a problem.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:56 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

It started with about 1/2 tank left...

Originally posted by Jime
Matt is it just losing pressure when the level is low ie 1/3 or less or does it do it when the tank is full as well?
Old 07-08-2002, 05:12 PM

I have been haviny my Fuel press drop after about 30 minutes of driving. When I start the car FP is at about 49PSI, but then after about 30min it drops from 41-45PSI? This happens no matter how much gas I have, after speaking with Mardigras, he mentioned he has the same issue, and that it could be related to fuel temp. Any one else have this issue?
Old 07-08-2002, 05:20 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

OT question...

If I'm loosing pressure in my gas tank, wouldn't it cause a check engine light to come on, or give me a code?
Old 07-08-2002, 05:36 PM
Ramius83

Re: OT question...

If I'm loosing pressure in my gas tank, wouldn't it cause a check engine light to come on, or give me a code?
Nope, because my o-ring for the fuel tank access cover is shot and leaks a little fuel. I do have some presure problems, but only when I have a full tank.....

Old 07-08-2002, 05:36 PM

It started with about 1/2 tank left...

Matt mine was doing the same thing. Everytime I got anywhere under a 1/2 tank I started to lose pressure. ie it would actually lose suction and the gauge would bounce all over the place. I had to go to the track with 5/8 full tank in order to race.
Anyway, I get ticked and took it apart and I think the problem was that I didn't have it all the way down to the bottom of the tank. I took it out put it back in and now I can nail it with the empty light on and its still ok. I just did this last week because it was driving me nuts.
It looked ok when I removed it too, so I was just very careful when I reinstalled to make sure the strainer was touching the bottom and down as far as it would fit in the plastic holder. If this sounds like yours its worth a try, sure fixed mine up.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

When you put the fuel pump plastic cradle back in, did it snap in place? Did it sit level with the pick up straner pretty much flat againest the bottom of the tank? When you put the top cover on, did you have to force it close or was it close fairly easy?
Old 07-08-2002, 09:11 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Jim and Tony

Ive had the pump in thier for the past 8 months or so with NO problems. I don't remember everything about putting it in, but it was a breeze, and Ive run normal fuel pressure and nitrous boosted fuel pressure from 60-85 psi without any problems. I'm borrowing a stock fuel pump, and when I take everything apart to change it out, I will check and make sure my Walborro is installed correctly. Ive run from a full tank all the way down till my light is on many times, and Ive never had a problem with fluctuating pressure until now...
Old 07-09-2002, 04:26 AM

Re: Jim and Tony

Ive had the pump in thier for the past 8 months or so with NO problems. I don't remember everything about putting it in, but it was a breeze, and Ive run normal fuel pressure and nitrous boosted fuel pressure from 60-85 psi without any problems. I'm borrowing a stock fuel pump, and when I take everything apart to change it out, I will check and make sure my Walborro is installed correctly. Ive run from a full tank all the way down till my light is on many times, and Ive never had a problem with fluctuating pressure until now...
Ok sounds like you are on the right track Matt. Hope you get it solved its a real pain trying to analyze something like that.
Good Luck
Old 07-09-2002, 05:39 AM

Re: Re: Jim and Tony

Ok sounds like you are on the right track Matt. Hope you get it solved its a real pain trying to analyze something like that.
Good Luck

Would I get better performance and gas mileage by upgrading to a Walborro fuelpump or stick with the factory one?
Old 07-09-2002, 06:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Jim and Tony

Originally posted by Ghost face Max

Would I get better performance and gas mileage by upgrading to a Walborro fuelpump or stick with the factory one?
No better performance, the only reason to upgrade is if stock pump will not handle pressure or flow requirements.
Unless you are running some sort of boost, ie Nitrous, Supercharger or Turbo you are wasting your money.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jim and Tony

No better performance, the only reason to upgrade is if stock pump will not handle pressure or flow requirements.
Unless you are running some sort of boost, ie Nitrous, Supercharger or Turbo you are wasting your money.

Thanks Jime,
For your imput, stock it is then!!!!