Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

GD: 4th gen DUAL BEAM, PROJECTOR housing, angel/demon eye option headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

GD: 4th gen DUAL BEAM, PROJECTOR housing, angel/demon eye option headlights

There was a 5th gen GD for these headlights not long ago, courtesy of Umnitza Inc. That was a resounding success and can be viewed at:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=5th+gen+angel

Well, I have been in touch with Matt at Umnitza and he has agreed to set up a similar deal for the 4th gen guys too since we have been waiting for this for so long and no other manufacturer seems to be coming through.

Here are the details that I was able to get for now:
Minimum 50 people for the group rate to apply
Turnaround time is 6-8 weeks (to make them and ship them out)
Group rate for dual beam, projector style housing - US $500
Group rate for dual beam, projector style, angel/demon eye rings - US $700

The 5th gen GD generated over 100 buyers apparently. There are a lot more of us and many of us have been complaining for these to be made for a long time so I think that the target of at least 50 FIRM should be a breeze!

Here's our chance guys. I hope that we can get enough interest in this to get this going. Matt will be along to post further details. I had brought up the option of making them one-piece (incorporating the corner lights as well) or just manufacture the headlights, thus leaving the corners out.

Matt will chime in soon I'm sure and clarify as soon as he can come with more details.

Thanks for reading guys.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:57 PM

im very interested.. =) let me ponder about it... keep you posted.. and thanx for all your work...
Old 10-15-2003, 09:31 PM
I'll kill you. I mean it

for getting projectors made for the 4th gen.

for the price difference for adding angel eyes.

My vote is for a one piece headlight / corner lamp. Dual projectors in each housing would be nice. A carbon fiber backgound instead a crome reflector would also appeal to me.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, it's going to depend, we are already making a projector headlight for another car.
If there is room to move most of that production capability over to this headlight, the costs might be much better.

We would like to see over 100 interested and then over 50 depositors. Then we go for it as before.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:52 PM

Will these improve our lighting or is it just a cosmetic upgrade? When I say improve lighting, I'm not talking about brighter lights shooting everywhere.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by Lonely Driver
Will these improve our lighting or is it just a cosmetic upgrade? When I say improve lighting, I'm not talking about brighter lights shooting everywhere.
dam, for trying to do this. I would really like to see how this would look. Basically like cefiro headlights with projectors? being that the 5th gen was just an add-on angel eye, lexus pics and bmw pics did well as far as imaging, but since u making an entire headlight, any idea or good comparison u can give us? what ideas do u have as far as how u will make it look? similar to cefiro with projectors?

Also, what type of HID kits will be able to fit on it if any? I'm very interested especially if u can get better housing or something, H4 or H3 or whatever is better than 9004.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Angel Eyes.

Sounds very promising, and I'm very interested. Would of course have to get more details etc. How complex is this to install and replace current OEM headlights. I guess my only concern is that it will cost big bucks to put these babies into our cars.
Look forward to hearing more details about this great opportunity.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:19 AM

siGh..

700 dollars for those headlights..thats scary..get cefiros, and any HID you want for that price, but nice work on making them I guess, well once pics are released
Old 10-16-2003, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lonely Driver
Definetly not just cosmetic. The stock gen 4 headlights are NOT projector housing, and that coupled with the fact that we have the crappy 9004 bulbs means that we get a scattered beam pattern with a dim light.

This upgrade changes the reflector housing to a projector housing so the beams are directed (like most of the newer, more expensive cars you see today... and even the cheaper ones for that matter). Since it will be dual beam, you have separate hi and low beam bulbs, which will both be brighter (eg., 9005 for hi and 9006 for low... but I don't know what it will end up being when they come out).

The angel/demon eye upgrade is what the 5th gen guys got... that is just an option to give us that new BMW 5-series look as well.

Any of my answers to questions here are based on my conversations with Matt from Umnitza Inc. or my general knowledge with lighting, etc. Matt, feel free to step in and correct me at any time.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by max95cdn
Sounds very promising, and I'm very interested. Would of course have to get more details etc. How complex is this to install and replace current OEM headlights. I guess my only concern is that it will cost big bucks to put these babies into our cars.
The physical fitment should be a direct replacement for out factory headlights (or headlight/corner light if Umnitza Inc. makes a 1-piece design). That is the beauty of going custom built... but since there is some overhead involved, Matt would like to see a nice big group, to keep the costs down for everyone. So it should not cost big bucks to put them on. As long as you know how to unscrew a few bolts and take the grille off as well, you can swap these headlights out.

Electrically however, I would think that the factory harnesses which are for 9004, would have to be replaced. I don't know enough electrically to speculate how the 9004 to dual beam conversion is going to happen. The two options that I can hypothesize are:

1) Some sort of adapter that takes the 9004 harness and splits it to dual beam... (don't know this is feasible at all).

2) The stock wiring harness will have to be replaced with a dual beam harness... as far as getting it to work with the headlight stalk by the steering wheel, details will have to be posted on that by Matt as they develop the product.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:00 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by speedemn
The physical fitment should be a direct replacement for out factory headlights (or headlight/corner light if Umnitza Inc. makes a 1-piece design). That is the beauty of going custom built... but since there is some overhead involved, Matt would like to see a nice big group, to keep the costs down for everyone. So it should not cost big bucks to put them on. As long as you know how to unscrew a few bolts and take the grille off as well, you can swap these headlights out.

Electrically however, I would think that the factory harnesses which are for 9004, would have to be replaced. I don't know enough electrically to speculate how the 9004 to dual beam conversion is going to happen. The two options that I can hypothesize are:

1) Some sort of adapter that takes the 9004 harness and splits it to dual beam... (don't know this is feasible at all).

2) The stock wiring harness will have to be replaced with a dual beam harness... as far as getting it to work with the headlight stalk by the steering wheel, details will have to be posted on that by Matt as they develop the product.

dam thats hot. If you can change the housing and if the price can be lowered a little, i'm game. the cefiro headlights already give us better housing for about the same price u know? but please keep us updated on the ideas of this happening. What exactly is the best housing out there anyway?

and all u electrical guru's please step in or someone kindly make a thread in the 4th gen forum just for second opinions...
Old 10-16-2003, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
dam thats hot. If you can change the housing and if the price can be lowered a little, i'm game. the cefiro headlights already give us better housing for about the same price u know? but please keep us updated on the ideas of this happening. What exactly is the best housing out there anyway?
The Cifero headlight housings are NOT projector housings. It even states that in the GD thread for those headlights. Projector housings are the best kind... it's either that or the regular ones which we have right now, which is referred to as reflector housing I believe.

Also the Cefiro housings require some cutting and customization of your stock headlight housing mounts and around. At least that is what was posted in that thread. This GD aims to make a custom headlight housing for a Maxima... not retrofit another headlight.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:30 AM

I would like to see some pics or something to give me a basic idea of what it would look like but WOW someone is finally doing this
Old 10-16-2003, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by nissanfreak
I would like to see some pics or something to give me a basic idea of what it would look like but WOW someone is finally doing this
Matt will have to answer that question.

However if you are curious as to how the angel/demon eye rings might look around the headlights, you can see how it turned out on the 5th gen thread that I posted in my first post to this thread. Ours could be different in that we might have 2 individual rings... or maybe overlapping rings like the gen 5... I don't know yet what design details Umnitza Inc. will be working on coming up with.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:13 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

and all u electrical guru's please step in or someone kindly make a thread in the 4th gen forum just for second opinions...

3 wires on the 9004 harness...a ground and 2 positives.

what you need to do is run the ground and split it into two..one going to the 9005 and one going to the 9006 (assuming they are using 9005 and 9006 bulbs)..then run the positive (hot lead) one for 9005 and one for 9006...you need to determine which is high and which is low.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:17 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Definetly not just cosmetic. The stock gen 4 headlights are NOT projector housing, and that coupled with the fact that we have the crappy 9004 bulbs means that we get a scattered beam pattern with a dim light.

This upgrade changes the reflector housing to a projector housing so the beams are directed (like most of the newer, more expensive cars you see today... and even the cheaper ones for that matter). Since it will be dual beam, you have separate hi and low beam bulbs, which will both be brighter (eg., 9005 for hi and 9006 for low... but I don't know what it will end up being when they come out).

The angel/demon eye upgrade is what the 5th gen guys got... that is just an option to give us that new BMW 5-series look as well.

Any of my answers to questions here are based on my conversations with Matt from Umnitza Inc. or my general knowledge with lighting, etc. Matt, feel free to step in and correct me at any time.
what kind of projectors are you guys referring to? there are cheap projectors and good projectors. what bulb will you be running? H9, H3, H1, 9005/6? what kind of cut off in the low beam projector? DOT spec or E code? don't want to be a pain...just want to know what the people are getting.
thanks!
Old 10-16-2003, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
what kind of projectors are you guys referring to? there are cheap projectors and good projectors. what bulb will you be running? H9, H3, H1, 9005/6? what kind of cut off in the low beam projector? DOT spec or E code? don't want to be a pain...just want to know what the people are getting.
thanks!
Very good questions. Matt should be able to answer that as well.

As far as the quality is concerned, I have confidence in Umnitza Inc. and I'm sure that the 5th gen guys can vouch for their quality of work. So the projectors should be of good quality for sure.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Sports Button FTW

thanks!
I love u moderators, always know the right questions to ask

what you need to do is run the ground and split it into two..one going to the 9005 and one going to the 9006 (assuming they are using 9005 and 9006 bulbs)..then run the positive (hot lead) one for 9005 and one for 9006...you need to determine which is high and which is low.
hmmm, sounds easy, is there anything to worry about when doing this? i mean more power drain than the harnesses can take or something? What i'm really trying to say is the only thing we really needed was projectors, and we would have had this setup long ago cause our cars are built for it? blah, just wondering if any fatal problems can occur doing this
Old 10-16-2003, 11:39 AM

count me in for them but need to see how they look first price is little to high but i guess more member will join in
Old 10-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Pizda Boy

ooohhh. . . .look at my sig. . . .gonna keep it under $200 too. . . .
but i'd like to see how these look compared to mine (once mine are finished)
BTW: they should be finished in a couple of weeks. . . doing this myself with a good friend. . . and i will post pics.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I love u moderators, always know the right questions to ask

hmmm, sounds easy, is there anything to worry about when doing this? i mean more power drain than the harnesses can take or something? What i'm really trying to say is the only thing we really needed was projectors, and we would have had this setup long ago cause our cars are built for it? blah, just wondering if any fatal problems can occur doing this

if it's going to be higher wattage...definitely run a relay and beefier wires...but let's cross that bridge when u get to it. let's wait for vendor's response.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:02 PM

thanks!

jkmnbj
Old 10-17-2003, 03:08 AM
My heroine

sounds interesting.. let's hope it works out, i'd be in
Old 10-17-2003, 08:58 AM
living out of a maxima...

if you guys make a set of projectors as described, I will buy them. not interested in the angel eyes, as I don't drive a BMW, but projectors, hells yeah.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:27 AM

cool and thanks

If I can plug in my pending new Z-max 7000k's into these projectors without serious modification I am in! I need pics of course. Also, probably not interested in angel eyes- especially with that silly price increase.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:42 PM

Answers to everyone's questions from Umnitza (I hope I got everyone's questions answered):

1eyedcalibandit:

My vote is for a one piece headlight / corner lamp. Dual projectors in each housing would be nice. A carbon fiber backgound instead a crome reflector would also appeal to me.
[MG] No CF, but that's the idea.

Lonely Driver:

[MG] Improve lighting tremendously.

meccanoble: (3 questions)

dam, for trying to do this. I would really like to see how this would look. Basically like cefiro headlights with projectors? being that the 5th gen was just an add-on angel eye, lexus pics and bmw pics did well as far as imaging, but since u making an entire headlight, any idea or good comparison u can give us? what ideas do u have as far as how u will make it look? similar to cefiro with projectors?
[MG] Use existing headlight, gut it, put projectors and Lightning in there.

Also, what type of HID kits will be able to fit on it if any? I'm very interested especially if u can get better housing or something, H4 or H3 or whatever is better than 9004.
[MG] No HID, they will be H9 Projectors.

[MG] No clue.

[MG] Plug and play

Max95cdn:

[MG] Plug and play. We'll have a harness.

DanNY: (an answer to an above question, followed by a question of his own)

if it's going to be higher wattage...definitely run a relay and beefier wires...but let's cross that bridge when u get to it. let's wait for vendor's response.

[MG] Exactly or thereabouts.

thanks!

[MG] H9 Hella DOT or E code - probably DOT
Old 10-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Sports Button FTW

Answers to everyone's questions from Umnitza (I hope I got everyone's questions answered):

1eyedcalibandit:

[MG] No CF, but that's the idea.

Lonely Driver:

[MG] Improve lighting tremendously.

meccanoble: (3 questions)

[MG] Use existing headlight, gut it, put projectors and Lightning in there.

[MG] No HID, they will be H9 Projectors.

[MG] No clue.

[MG] Plug and play

Max95cdn:

[MG] Plug and play. We'll have a harness.

DanNY: (an answer to an above question, followed by a question of his own)

[MG] Exactly or thereabouts.

thanks!

[MG] H9 Hella DOT or E code - probably DOT

WOW, H9?! NOt familiar with them but sounds good. What IS the best housing out there and what cars have them? Where does H9 fall into?
Old 10-19-2003, 09:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

if you are using the H9 Hella housings for high and low beams in a dual beam setup, good luck trying to fit those (i did try), the 4th gen headlight are very small and the metal behind the headlight will most likely get in the way of the dual setup (single you are fine), make a prototype and take some picture. And then you will get people more interested. Its not impossible but it wont be easy and might take some modifying to the cars its self.

I hope you can get these done and wish you all the luck.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Yankees pwn you !

I can back up the work from Umnitza. I was the first Maxs to get his DDE's installed. I think you guys would be VERY VERY happy with these. I can attest to Matt making the best product possible.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by anskyruben
I can back up the work from Umnitza. I was the first Maxs to get his DDE's installed. I think you guys would be VERY VERY happy with these. I can attest to Matt making the best product possible.
Hmm I'm interested in the 700 pair....What would this all be made of?
Old 10-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Sports Button FTW

interested between u and Maxedoutofcash. I need me some projectors!
Old 10-22-2003, 05:59 PM

Responses to your comments and questions, from Matt @ Umnitza ([MG] stands for his replies):

Meccanoble

WOW, H9?! NOt familiar with them but sounds good. What IS the best housing out there and what cars have them? Where does H9 fall into?
[MG] Latest standards being used now.

geo1317

if you are using the H9 Hella housings for high and low beams in a dual beam setup, good luck trying to fit those (i did try), the 4th gen headlight are very small and the metal behind the headlight will most likely get in the way of the dual setup (single you are fine), make a prototype and take some picture. And then you will get people more interested. Its not impossible but it wont be easy and might take some modifying to the cars its self.
I hope you can get these done and wish you all the luck.
[MG] Well, good for him. We're pretty good at what we do

Neef

Hmm I'm interested in the 700 pair....What would this all be made of?
[MG] Gold LOL
Old 10-23-2003, 05:20 PM
I like Maximas

i really wanted to be able to throw hid on the max with the projectors but projectors will be great.
i like the 1 piece idea. it would look more like a cleaner install. now if you can make the cornering lamp a projector too that would look awesome!

i'm very interested in the projector lights not the angel eyes.
-Vadim
Old 10-23-2003, 06:15 PM

700 for lights???..man I can't see it......then again...if you have the money...why not.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:35 PM

Sounds like a great idea...hopefully it will be put into production!
Old 10-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

do you have pics yet
Old 10-24-2003, 09:37 PM

Im interested in these, but they are hella $$$$. Maybe if we can get enough peeps the price can be a little more reasonable. When will pics be available to see what they look like on the 4 gens
Old 10-25-2003, 09:33 AM

Responses from Matt at Umnitza (prefaced by [MG])

Vipervadim

i really wanted to be able to throw hid on the max with the projectors but projectors will be great.
i like the 1 piece idea. it would look more like a cleaner install. now if you can make the cornering lamp a projector too that would look awesome!
i'm very interested in the projector lights not the angel eyes.
-Vadim
[MG] We probably won't do a corner lamp.

Capital15

700 for lights???..man I can't see it......then again...if you have the money...why not.
[MG] Might be less.

solo*max

do you have pics yet
[MG] We will this coming week.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Tha Snatcher

I'm definitely interested in the one-piece projectors w/ the angel eyes. They'll look tight next to my yellow fogs. 700 bucks? Are the rings made of platinum? We are NISSAN owners not BMW and LEXUS owners! I've been to the UMNITZA site and i've seen some quality stuff there so i'm certain that the quality will be nothing less. I'm more eager to see MAXEDOUTTACASH's projectors. I wanna see what him and his boy are cookin up! In any case, thank you to MAXEDOUTTACASH and UMNITZA for finally making an idea a reality.

Here's my HIDs w/ the stock heads. Imagine wut they will look like behind projectors!

Old 10-25-2003, 11:58 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by XenonHID_VQ
I'm definitely interested in the one-piece projectors w/ the angel eyes. They'll look tight next to my yellow fogs. 700 bucks? Are the rings made of platinum? We are NISSAN owners not BMW and LEXUS owners! I've been to the UMNITZA site and i've seen some quality stuff there so i'm certain that the quality will be nothing less. I'm more eager to see MAXEDOUTTACASH's projectors. I wanna see what him and his boy are cookin up! In any case, thank you to MAXEDOUTTACASH and UMNITZA for finally making an idea a reality.

Here's my HIDs w/ the stock heads. Imagine wut they will look like behind projectors!

dieing to see pics. I dont think corners would look good with angeleyes/projectors unless they were all spaced evenly...

Quick Reply: GD: 4th gen DUAL BEAM, PROJECTOR housing, angel/demon eye option headlights