Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

Stop Door Dings Now!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004 | 07:22 AM

Stop Door Dings Now!!!

Here's the deal, I think the only way to prevent those horrible door dings is to put something in on the door.

Here is what I am proposing, MAGNETS. I found two places that advertise these:

http://dingdefender.com/
Ding Defenders are really nice because they match the car color.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/magcardoorgu.html
Look nice because those bumpers look huge.

The only thing that troubles me about these is that they are easily taken. Here's where the group comes in. If we can get together and get custom magnets that say something on it like
"MAXIMA" or even "MAXIMA.ORG"

This way people will be less likely to steal them. I can see just using them when I park, but what does everyone else think?

I know I'd by them from the ORG over a sticker.
Old 03-04-2004 | 08:24 AM
DoGGy

LOL omg if it went inside the door panel then i might have acutally given it a chance but cmon. who the heck in the world would wanna put that big a$$ thing on their door just to avoid a DING?

i rather have a ding on my door than puttin that $hit on
Old 03-04-2004 | 09:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

interesting....actually i might buy that but only put it on when i park in my work parking lot....

let me think about that...that thing is black & huge & my car is white ....gonna look kinda funny
Old 03-04-2004 | 11:04 AM

PWRLFT mentioned our product DINGdefender, so we thought we'd answer some of the questions.

Yes, DINGdefenders are available in standard colors of Black, White, Silver or Gold at no additional cost. We also have 55 other special order colors that may be ordered at additional cost. Please see our web site and look under the DETAILS tab. There are also photos of the product in actual use, under the PHOTOS tab.

PWRLFT said:
"The only thing that troubles me about these is that they are easily taken."
==========================================
We have never been informed that anyone has taken/lifted/stolen them.. They are sufficiently unobtrusive that they don't get swiped.

PWRLFT also said:
"Here's where the group comes in. If we can get together and get custom magnets that say something on it like "MAXIMA" or even "MAXIMA.ORG""
==========================================
If the club does a group buy, we will put the logo/name on each DINGdefender in silver at no additional cost. If enough members are interested, we will set up a group buy selection on our web site's shopping cart. This will give each buyer the selection of colors as well as getting the club name. The vinyl is bonded to the surface and is permanent.
Old 03-04-2004 | 11:37 AM

K Pazzo 6 said:
"interesting....actually i might buy that but only put it on when i park in my work parking lot...."
======================================
Actually most DINGdefender users do just that. Put them on only when parked (work, shopping or even in the grarage... especially those who live at apartments/condos). A few actually leave them on all the time. They'll withstand speeds as fast as you will go and if ordered in a matching color, are unobtrusive.

K Pazzo 6 also said:
"let me think about that...that thing is black & huge & my car is white.... gonna look kinda funny"
======================================
Why would you order black ones, when we have Black, White Silver & Gold as standard colors? We even have another 55 special order optional colors available. They are all high gloss, too. Our silver is also available in semi-gloss.

All DINGdefenders get hand waxed with Meguiar's Classic Gold before we ship them.
Old 03-04-2004 | 11:49 AM

or...you could park really far away....from other vehicles...
Old 03-04-2004 | 08:58 PM

I just wanted to warn you guys that those will scratch your doors. My neighbor's black E-Class has these on (he puts them on and takes them off frequently) and I have to go over his doors with rubbing compound and polish to make the look halfway decent. You could get away with it on a white or silver car that doesn't show scratches easily, but its hell on a black car.
-Cyrus
Old 03-04-2004 | 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vyrus
I just wanted to warn you guys that those will scratch your doors. My neighbor's black E-Class has these on (he puts them on and takes them off frequently) and I have to go over his doors with rubbing compound and polish to make the look halfway decent. You could get away with it on a white or silver car that doesn't show scratches easily, but its hell on a black car.
-Cyrus
Cyrus -

What product does he have? Are they DINGdefenders or something else?
Old 03-05-2004 | 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by DINGdefender
Cyrus -

What product does he have? Are they DINGdefenders or something else?
Honestly I don't remember, but that name isn't familiar so I'm going to guess not.
-Cyrus
Old 03-05-2004 | 09:07 AM

Honestly I don't remember, but that name isn't familiar so I'm going to guess not.
-Cyrus
Whew...

DINGdefenders are designed to be "rolled" on and "peeled" off so that they don't slide on the surface and cause scratching. Of course, you have to have both the car AND the DINGdefenders clean before attaching them. We recommend that they both be washed and dried every week... but you'd do that to your car anyway, right?

For users that just use them in parking lots, etc., you get used to where they go and either let the top or bottom lock onto the door first and them roll the rest up (or down). As with anything on your car, you do not want to slide it around! Unless there is a water lubricant almost anything will scratch the surface.

Maybe your neighbor should make the change to DINGdefender BTW, there are 2 MB photos on our side... a silver E and a black C.
Old 03-05-2004 | 04:18 PM

If the club does a group buy, we will put the logo/name on each DINGdefender in silver at no additional cost. If enough members are interested, we will set up a group buy selection on our web site's shopping cart. This will give each buyer the selection of colors as well as getting the club name. The vinyl is bonded to the surface and is permanent.
As a follow up, here's an idea of what that might look like in the upper left corner of each DINGdefender.

Anyone interested?
Old 03-06-2004 | 10:46 AM

that looks like **** man how could you ever propose something like that to be put on our cars. whats wrong with you. give me your keys NOW! you don't deserve to drive. you need to take the bus if you want a ****ing commercial on the side of your car.
Old 03-06-2004 | 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by mikeI302k
that looks like **** man how could you ever propose something like that to be put on our cars. whats wrong with you. give me your keys NOW! you don't deserve to drive. you need to take the bus if you want a ****ing commercial on the side of your car.

Missed the point, huh?

You only have to put them on when you are parked

You can take the "****" commercial off whenever you want.
Can you take your equally "****" dings and dents off and put them in the trunk?
Probably not... and that is the point.
Old 03-06-2004 | 01:00 PM

thats a dumb point the car looks like crap when its parked. Try to get a chick to get into the car when you go out and put that **** on. that my friend is the point pu$$y is the point.
Old 03-06-2004 | 02:01 PM

Missed the point, huh?

You only have to put them on when you are parked

You can take the "****" commercial off whenever you want.
Can you take your equally "****" dings and dents off and put them in the trunk?
Probably not... and that is the point.
DINGdefender you don't need to waste your time on these crude "newbies", as you can see they have the mentaility of children. Please don't take them to be a representation of our board.
Thank you,
-Cyrus
Old 03-06-2004 | 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by I30LeNnY96
thats a dumb point the car looks like crap when its parked. Try to get a chick to get into the car when you go out and put that **** on. that my friend is the point pu$$y is the point.
I have no problem getting them in my shiny, ding free MB E-Class (see web site for it's photo). In fact it becomes a "conversation piece", if you get my drift.

Works a lot better than most pick up lines

OK... maybe you think a door full of other people's paint and dings makes a great impression. Whatever...

No one says YOU have to get these, but eveyone says that you WILL get dings without them... or hike in from the boonies with your girl right-now in tow
Old 03-06-2004 | 02:19 PM

DINGdefender you don't need to waste your time on these crude "newbies", as you can see they have the mentaility of children. Please don't take them to be a representation of our board.
Thank you,
-Cyrus
Thanks! I needed that

I don't think they represent the entire (or majority) of the forum.
I've run forums for 7 years and have seen it all.

Our thinkin' is this way...
There are 1,000's of DINGdefenders out there.
There are 1,000,000,000's of door dings out there.
We can only defend some of them on vehicles that have thoughtful owners.
Old 03-06-2004 | 04:34 PM

Old 03-07-2004 | 07:37 PM

This thread was like watching an infomercial, long, pointless, and with an unappealing product. Now i understand that these are removeable and what not but i think u would risk someone trying to kick them or something when they were on your doors cause they really stick out. Plus i feel that its really kinda ghey to create 2 names and a false convo between the two to advertise. Its kinda like a 3 card monty game. Anyway in the future try to be more honest with the promotion of your product it will be much better recieved. Anyway have a good one.
-RaGa
Old 03-07-2004 | 09:41 PM

RaGa-
Thanks for your insightful opinion. As you won't be interested in having anything on your doors but dings, your comments will be appreciated by other members of the forum.

Our product was mentioned first, by members. We merely stopped by to answer questions or give assistance, not to bicker. Many of your fellow forum members don't seem to agree with you as they have ordered the product.

Thanks again... maybe Vyrus is correct.
Old 03-07-2004 | 10:03 PM

This thread is hilarious to read....but anyway, nice product....if it only fit on the inside of the door....i'm sure everyone would buy it.... but i'm pretty sure everyone with a 4th gen knows that door dings aren't a huge problem...every corner bumper is what gets scratched up to hell...and a little touch up paint makes it better....

i'm pretty sure we'll see these on all stock saturns someday...lol
Old 03-07-2004 | 11:36 PM

hrm, actually pretty cool, working in retail...ive had my share from being parked in a parkinglot for 2 years....hrm...
Old 03-08-2004 | 03:51 PM

I do kind of find it interesting that DINGdefender joined and posted on the same day. As of this posting, he had 9 posts, all in this thread. Not exactly a long time member.

The point is simple: I wonder what connection PWRLFT and DINGdefender have if any.
Old 03-08-2004 | 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by todamax
I do kind of find it interesting that DINGdefender joined and posted on the same day. As of this posting, he had 9 posts, all in this thread. Not exactly a long time member.

The point is simple: I wonder what connection PWRLFT and DINGdefender have if any.
Paranoya is a wondrous thing

There is the same connection between everyone in this thread.
We are all members of this forum. No more... no less.

How did we join and post the 1st day of this thread? Well, we have a fairly sophisticated web site monitoring system that provides us with who links to us and where they came from. This info is near real-time, so it's no mystery to go to the monitor and click on the referring site where the link to our site came from. Then its just a matter of determining if we should join that forum and be available for questions or suggestions (and in some cases, insults).

There you have it! No mystery...
We are just here to stop dings from happening.
Old 03-08-2004 | 04:59 PM

Paranoya is a wondrous thing
So is Paranoia.

Anyway, It was a thought. A badly phrased thought at that. The correlation was too much for me. It was entertainment.

Anyway, if the site monitoring was the method you used to discover this site, kudos to you. Proactive use of technology always makes me feel all warm and fuzzly inside.
Old 03-08-2004 | 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by todamax
So is Paranoia.

....Proactive use of technology always makes me feel all warm and fuzzly inside.
Yup, we use the techie stuff as much as we can stand it

And... a spellchecker would soitenly be nice to avoid a pair of noids.
Nice catch on my mispellink

My site's forum has a spell checker. I demanded it! Not fancy graphics as this one, but it does check the spelling

Anyway... That's OK that you asked. Shows you were paying attention!
Old 03-09-2004 | 06:19 AM

I think it's kind of funny what I started, but what I was thinking when I first posted was that in the same screen that you can by a bumper sticker or a license plate frame, you would by able to by a Magnetic side bumper, an accessory that's actually useful.

After seeing the discussion maybe putting the .ORG on the side of the car wasn't such a good idea. But my intension was and still is the same, which is to get a group deal. If DINGdefender is not insulted and alienated by our members I would still like to propose a group deal on Nissan Maxima colors.

DINGdefender how 'bout it?
Old 03-09-2004 | 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by PWRLFT
I think it's kind of funny what I started, but what I was thinking when I first posted was that in the same screen that you can by a bumper sticker or a license plate frame, you would by able to by a Magnetic side bumper, an accessory that's actually useful.

After seeing the discussion maybe putting the .ORG on the side of the car wasn't such a good idea. But my intension was and still is the same, which is to get a group deal. If DINGdefender is not insulted and alienated by our members I would still like to propose a group deal on Nissan Maxima colors.

DINGdefender how 'bout it?
Offended? Heck No! Listening to the variety of members' opinions is quite interesting, actually. No one product will be for everyone. Ours however, is about the only one that actually works, but maybe some enthusiasts don't want something that works. No matter...

We have a Group Buy pricing that we offer to clubs and forum groups. It goes like this:

One set (2 panels) of 9" X 24" 30 MIL DINGdefenders (STD) in your choice of Black, White, Silver or Gold for $36.95 Delivered in the continental USA. California delivery gets charged Sales Tax. This also includes the optional club insignia (as mentioned previously). Compare this with our web site pricing of $29.95 + $11.00 S&H (a total of $40.95).

How does the Group Buy qualify?
We need 50 or more buyers to get the discount and optional insignia. When there are enough buyers, we will issue a Group Buy ID Number and a special Web Site Shopping Cart.

What if you want a special color (we have 55 of them), you just select the color and we add $20 to your order.

How many dings can we collect for you...
or would you rather collect them yourself?

That's our Group Buy
Now... are there enough interested forum members? :attention
Old 03-10-2004 | 12:36 AM
I miss the .org!

This product does seem interesting if it really works as well as you claim without side effects. However, I guess in some cases form is more important than function? lol...
Old 03-10-2004 | 04:32 AM

www.autopia-carcare.com
Go to park smart, the one they have can be removed and wont scratch paint or nething
Old 03-10-2004 | 08:55 AM

Customize DINGdefender panels:

Some users order the next larger size and cut the DINGdefender to fit their door handles, door edges, etc.
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by WillMax95
www.autopia-carcare.com
Go to park smart, the one they have can be removed and wont scratch paint or nething
Anything that flaps, dangles or is not made of soft pliable magnetic rubber can and will scratch your paint or clear coat surface.

DINGdefenders are made to completely adhere to your steel door's surface, even if you drive on the freeway (turnpike, expressway, etc.) at 90mph. You can leave them on between shopping centers for example. Should you forget to remove a dangler type product and drive away, the results will not be pretty - but they will let you know that you forgot to take them off by banging on your door(s).

Rather than a one-size-fits-all product, DINGdefenders are available in different vertical dimensions (5", 7", 9", 12", 18" & 24" high X 24-3/8" wide). Special custom orders can be made for product up to 24-3/8" High X 30 FEET long!

And they can be re-rolled up and stored in the 3" round shipping tube. Well, not the 24" X 30' one

We think DINGdefenders are a better product (but that's just us)

Quite a contrast between solutions...
Old 03-11-2004 | 11:22 PM

Well not a bad Idea but too bad I don't care about my car my maxima is my beater i use it for delivering maybe I'll get it for the bmw but I dont drive that car unless I'm going to a nice neighborhood with very little cars and where i'm parking in a garage.
Old 05-09-2004 | 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by WillMax95
www.autopia-carcare.com
BOTH products can be removed.
NEITHER product will cause scrtaching is properly applied or removed.

ONLY ONE product can stay on the car when driving :-)
The DINGdefender will stay put even at freeway speeds.
Old 05-09-2004 | 07:47 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

ok, if these things were bigger they may work.... now with soo many SUVS out there their doors are higher....plus with the way people park in public areas.....you could get dings on the quarter fender on the front, ive' got one that obvisouly came from a door, suv looks like cause it was soo freakin high. these only cover the door, but i guess they would work most of the time BUT not all the time.....i say get them if you want, but if you in a rush most of the time like me, you dont really want to run around your car and take off four of these things and then take off, park put them back on....i say do what you gotta do....
Old 05-10-2004 | 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by UCI Maxima
ok, if these things were bigger they may work.... you dont really want to run around your car and take off four of these things and then take off, park put them back on....i say do what you gotta do....
1st - We'll make 'em up to 24" High X 25 FT long :-)
A tad heavy, but your car would then be wrapped all over.
Some users will get 4 larger size panels and then custom-cut them to fit their own car... doors, rear panels, etc.

2nd - You DON'T have to take them off just because you drive away. If you're in a real hurry, just jump in and zoom off. They will hang on to your car at speeds more than you want to go ;-) We do recommend taking them off periodically (like to wash the car) and give the paint under them a chance to breathe and see the sun!

3rd - Yup, do what you gotta do. If that means the body shop every six months to get the dings taken out - then that is your "do". I like just rollin' them up and tossing them in the trunk.
Old 05-10-2004 | 10:31 AM

sounds interesting... Anyone in on this?
Old 05-10-2004 | 03:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hello i'm from the future