Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

2000 i30

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 10:08 AM

2000 i30

hey guys,

i a long time maxima owner, and now i just bought a 2000 inf. I30 great condition - bought it 3 days ago and now the check engine light is on, i checked it and it says the system is too lean (bank 1)??? anyone know anyone about this?.....the guy at the dealership said he isnt goint to do anything about it , and i wana find out if its a major problem- any info would help---- thanks.

Old 08-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can't tell you myself.

You might want to post something in the 5th gen forum, since there the same car, engine wise.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Armed and Dangerous

oxygen sensor.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:57 PM

I've had that light on for almost 2 years now, when it turns on, I check the code, its the same code all the time, so I reset it and drive off. My uncle told me that code can mean a lot of things.. ie O2 sensor, MAF sensor, etc... Uncle suggested I reset it and see how long it comes back, to see if its an intermittent thing since it would cost a lot of $$$ to replace all 4 O2 sensors, MAF or any other things he was describing. Its fustrating, but other than start replacing parts that may or may not be the issue, its a good solution. Go get yourself a scanner for under 100.

According to Uncle, he says its something to do with the sensor getting a bad reading, code, etc...but nothing wrong, now if you run for a long time with the light on, then your CPU makes your engine run rich, which is not good for it, but its ok for a short distance, at least until you can reset the light and let it run normally.

Do a search on that code, and you'll find a lot of discussion on this great forum.

let us know if you find any resolutions.

I have a new MAF Sensor that I got for under 100 but I haven't replaced mine, the packaging says that I have to update the ECM when I do, so I don't want to do that, not know for sure its that MAF sensor or the ECM.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by 00i30T
I've had that light on for almost 2 years now, when it turns on, I check the code, its the same code all the time, so I reset it and drive off. My uncle told me that code can mean a lot of things.. ie O2 sensor, MAF sensor, etc... Uncle suggested I reset it and see how long it comes back, to see if its an intermittent thing since it would cost a lot of $$$ to replace all 4 O2 sensors, MAF or any other things he was describing. Its fustrating, but other than start replacing parts that may or may not be the issue, its a good solution. Go get yourself a scanner for under 100.

According to Uncle, he says its something to do with the sensor getting a bad reading, code, etc...but nothing wrong, now if you run for a long time with the light on, then your CPU makes your engine run rich, which is not good for it, but its ok for a short distance, at least until you can reset the light and let it run normally.

Do a search on that code, and you'll find a lot of discussion on this great forum.

let us know if you find any resolutions.

I have a new MAF Sensor that I got for under 100 but I haven't replaced mine, the packaging says that I have to update the ECM when I do, so I don't want to do that, not know for sure its that MAF sensor or the ECM.
A lean reading can mean many things (MAF, intake leak, injectors, etc...), but the O2 is the likely culprit. Replacing them is not $$$ when you take into account the increased performance and economy. Even for 4 you are looking at only $300.

And rinning rich is not bad for the engine... infact, its safer. The only problem is it kills hp and fuel efficiency.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:04 AM
Willing to learn

It probably is the MAF sensor, since this is a common problem on the A33/CA33 bodystyles. My buddy had the same code on his 2000 I30, and it was fixed at the dealer with a new MAF.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:39 AM

DS, 300 is just for the parts, then you gotta pay to get them installed unless you DIY. I was told to just get a scanner to reset it and if it comes back in a relatively short period of time then I can find out which one is bad.

I thought running rich fouls up the plugs which then can contribute to a cylinder not working, blah, blah, blah...in my case I try to reset it as soon as possible to save the fuel economy, I don't drive with the light on but it is fustrating as hell!

Does it really kill HP? I thought that is what a lot of drag racers do, is run their cars a bit rich to get more HP, reason you see fire sometimes when shifting gears...but I want to say that I AM NOT technically inclined, just love watching Speed Channel.

OLD, I do think it may be the MAF, I was told by another mechanic that Nissans are known for bad MAF or common, can't remember now. Its the reason why I bought the MAF, but when I got it, there was a red piece of paper that said, upgrade the ECM at the same time. I don't have access to the Consult II, I think that's what is called, and I called an Infiniti dealer service guy and he told me he doesn't just do ECM Upgrades, he's gotta diagnose.....blah....blah...blah....it just sounded like a lot more $$$ for them to take from my pocket.

True I don't have a cheapo-econo-car, but this is what I hear from my uncle mechanic....granted everyone has their own opinion....so right now, its either any of the 4 O2 sensors or the MAF...sounds like 300 + 100 for the MAF + whatever the stealer wants to upgrade the ECM....to me that translate to a lot of $$$. And now I think I need a new suspension, since I'm getting a lot of floatings.....if I need perfromance, I'd jump into my motorcycle.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Willing to learn

I don't have a crystal ball, so I couldn't say whether it would hurt to drive it like it is or not. But my gut feeling is that if the engine isn't running right, somewhere way down the line it may matter.

There have been plenty of Org members who have gotten their timing advanced by a technician willing to bend the rules just a little. Maybe one of them will reprogram your ECM after you install the new MAF.

Hang around the service dept. at a few places and see if anyone is willing to help you. Also, just so you know, not all cars need the ECM reprogram. There is a list the dealer has access to based on the part number of your ECM.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by oldngivout
It probably is the MAF sensor, since this is a common problem on the A33/CA33 bodystyles. My buddy had the same code on his 2000 I30, and it was fixed at the dealer with a new MAF.
Oh yeah ... I forgot that the A33 have MAF issues... Us A32 guys dont really have a problem wiht that. With that considered, I would say that the MAF propably could be the culprit. Of course, the only way to tell is to bust out the multimeter and go to work.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Armed and Dangerous

DS, 300 is just for the parts, then you gotta pay to get them installed unless you DIY. I was told to just get a scanner to reset it and if it comes back in a relatively short period of time then I can find out which one is bad...
Every thing should be done DIY... Its the only way to know the job was done right. If you can work a ratchet and disconnect connectors, then you can change out O2s.

Scanner?? You could just clear the codes the first time (which is always a must) to see if it comes back... and if (and more than likely when) it does its time to bust out the multimeter or OBII reader and find the culprit.

I thought running rich fouls up the plugs which then can contribute to a cylinder not working, blah, blah, blah...in my case I try to reset it as soon as possible to save the fuel economy, I don't drive with the light on but it is fustrating as hell!

Does it really kill HP? I thought that is what a lot of drag racers do, is run their cars a bit rich to get more HP, reason you see fire sometimes when shifting gears...but I want to say that I AM NOT technically inclined, just love watching Speed Channel..
With out getting technical, rich makes less power because the extra fuel cools the intake charge and slows combustion. This makes less power. Since it is cooler, it is safer for the engine. Lean creates a hotter charge and speeds combustion and makes more power. Because it is hotter it can be more harmful and cause detination. The reason the dragsters run rich is because they are boosted and they need to compensate for the extra airflow and want to avoid engine damage and detination. You could run a boosted car lean, but your asking to end up on the back of a tow truck.