Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Rattling while under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 05:32 AM

Ditto that RSG.

It's not loud but it is noticeable. My dimpled & slotted rotors are actually louder and make noise all the time but I can hear that rattle "through" the rotor noise.

It isn't valves but it is mainly (only) under load. About 5 seconds through the rev range. Unles you owned the car for years and paid close atention to it (like most of us do here) you might not even notice it.

Engine performs flawlessly, uses no oil and runs cool. I get 400 miles per tank ritually ...almost no matter how hard I push it.

It won't be much longer before I get this thing figured out.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:30 PM
RSG

Today on the way to work, nothin. Hour and a half later when I go out for lunch, it happened 3 times which makes me believe it has to do with warm starts.

Also I noticed the noise will stay on as long as you maintain the RPM... that’s why we think it happens most on uphill’s because the noise stays "longer" which makes it more noticeable.

If it is an exhaust issue, it should make the noise when reving?
Old 08-04-2006, 06:23 AM

RSG,

Not necessarily, your particular situation "sounds" like an exhaust rattle or a heat shield loose.

Bear with me here..... When the car is at a certain operating temp, metals begin to expand & contract depending on the type. There is also a certain "hertz" of vibration that will affect certain components more then others through the rev range.

I believe the RPM you are able to maintain to get the noise ...happens to be the hertz that makes the rattle more pronounced. It happening once warm is additional reassurance that an item underneath is loose.

When the tranny is in drive and the engine is under load, the engine & exhaust moves and twists in the motor mounts and exhaust hangers just enough that you hear the "issue".

....which is why it would not necessarily be audible in Neutral while revving.

(on a different Nissan car) I've found similar rattles with a rubber mallet. ...Warm the car up, pull off a wheel or two and hammered away at everything under there till I found loose shielding & bolts.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Have you asked about this in the 4th gen forum? Might find some other guys that have had this happen to them.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Max Mutes
Hmmm...interesting. This sounds almost pretty much what my car is doing. My CEL is on and whenever I go over any type of bumps/holes I hear a clinging/clanging sound, sounds HORRIBLE, like I'm driving a hooptie with a dragging muffler....sorta sounds like there's a broken hanger on my exhaust, but they're all on still, brand new and perfect.

So you say it was the front cat. converter...what exactly is making the front cat. make this bangin noise? Just old and rusted or what? What part did you buy for $40? Please elaborate some more...
The CEL and the loud bangin noise were unrelated. The loud bangin noise was a result of 2 things: Busted motor mount and the $40.00 suspension link (I had a shop discount 10-20% on these links from the dealer). The suspension link was difficult to diagnose because it didnt appear to be that defective (or so several mechanics claimed). I ended up replacing the shocks with KYB GR'2 (they suck) and also all of the strut mounts to no avail.

The front cat. conv. gives the car a "gargling" sound upon acceleration. The sound is similiar to say rinsing your mouth with mouthwash and then gargling it. (pardon my poor eg.)

Also, my car is a 2000 I30, I bel. yours is diff.

I have another loud thud on my 93VE5 when its driven over holes and bumps and discovered that the rear sway bar link has been seperated from the chassis. I hope this information helps.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:22 PM
RSG

A technician friend and I spent a few hours trying to reproduce the problem and we believe the sound is pinging from the engine based on these reasons:

1. Oil level and tensioner is good
2. Occurs only when is warm out (70+)
3. Occurs only under load, especially hills

He suggested running BK 44K or has the fuel system professionally cleaned for under $100. What do you all think?

Engine is 40,000 miles... been running on 92/93 Techron since 32,000... Not sure what the previous owner used though.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Armed and Dangerous

BK 44K is good stuff. I use it on occasion.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:49 PM
RSG

The fuel filter was replaced at 32,000mi; I should be okay running BG44K with ~9,000 mi on the filter or not?

Also anyone have experiences with the BG Fuel/Air Induction Service? I will do some research and see how much it costs around my area.

Thanks,
Old 08-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

this noise that you guys are hearing under load or may also be noticeable when in reverse and giving it some gas is spark knock..It is very common...one quick way to reproduce the noise to make sure is to open the hood and move the throttle with your hand...give it some spurts and try to reproduce the high rev you should hear the noise.....if this is the case change your MAF and air filter...also if your are using cheap gas try a diff gas ...
Old 08-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Armed and Dangerous

They say this is a rattling noise though... not a knock.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:04 AM

The I30 is in service today. We'll see what they say. It's rainin like a sombiotch out here so I doubt the tech will be able to hear the issue described in the original post. (It turned 140K this week.)

(I'm having the plugs done & tranny drained & refilled while it's there.)

(It sure is fun to play around in their new G35!)

I should know something by 4pm Eastern today.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Double E
I understand that there's a timing chain as opposed to a belt so I'm also wondering if there is a tensioner or other pulley that would be at issue here.

It's an auto tranny T edition.

Here it goes: When under acceleration (light to heavy) I hear what sounds like a chain dragging the pavement. It is coming from the front passenger side (& there are no chains dragging the ground).

I've tried coasting along in neutral and don't hear it, I've tried revving it from the engine bay and don't hear it then either.

It seems to happen only accelerating under load in a drive gear and not while in gear and coasting.

I thought about valves too but it's not valves. I run 93 only and when I don't ...then, I occasionally hear valves.

I recently had both axles replaced and only began to notice it since then but it may have been happening before.

I've shaken the exhaust system around while hot & cold and can't locate the source. I've inspected the work (as best I can) of the axle replecement and can't see any issues but might know what to look for.

It runs fine and accelerates with no performance problem.

Thanks for your suggestions or experience.....

If yuo can make a recording of it and upload it as a WAV or MP3 file to thisthread, that would help us to diagnose it.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:46 PM

That's a great suggestion. If they fix it, best I can do is tell you about the part that was replaced or the adjustment made & drag a light weight chain across the pavement to record it.

I figure that the best similarity of sound would be if you took one of those light fixtures that hang over a kitchen table with a thin gold plated chain and drug it across smooth concrete, it would sound like the rattle I have (hopefully had).

In comparison, a valve noise has more of a muted knock, like when tappng fingers on a desk.

The noise I have has much more treble in the tone, ...as if a chain were slapping against a worn out pulley on it's axle.

More data to come...

Unfortunately, it looks like it will be Monday or so until I can provide info as it's 4:30 & still they have not called to tell me it's ready.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Learning English...

I had the knocking issue(between 1.800-2.500rpm) on both Maximas/I30 A33 as well and i was sure it's a detoniation problem, but it wasn't !!!

Two of my diferential bearings were shot and after replacing them, the knocking is gone for sure!

Let your shop to check them!
p.s. my car has a VLSD...
Good luck
Old 10-06-2006, 02:48 PM

My '02 I35 (VQ35) has a barely audible rattle around 1,800 - 2300rpm. If I'm cruising around 2k rpm, the rattle is constant. I always thought it was a normal timing chain noise, but maybe it is exhaust related.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:48 AM

Are you guys talking about the ping under loads or some other rattle? I dont think there is any cure for the stupid pinging on nissans. I recently replaced all 6 coils but it still pings every now and then even though I use shell vpower all the time. May b i shud change spark plugs too. Also, if it matters the coils failed(p1320) after a tank of gas with BG44K. I dont know if its just a coincedence.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Learning English...

Originally Posted by psk79
Are you guys talking about the ping under loads or some other rattle? I dont think there is any cure for the stupid pinging on nissans. I recently replaced all 6 coils but it still pings every now and then even though I use shell vpower all the time. May b i shud change spark plugs too. Also, if it matters the coils failed(p1320) after a tank of gas with BG44K. I dont know if its just a coincedence.
I'm talking about knocking/rattling noise...
Try to replace your spark plugs with a colder type - NGK PFR6G-11 like i'm driving with....
Old 10-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by psk79
...Also, if it matters the coils failed(p1320) after a tank of gas with BG44K. I dont know if its just a coincedence.
Coincidence...
Old 10-09-2006, 05:53 AM

Well I got it back. They said it was an exhaust part that was loose and they cut it off. They indicated that it was attached to the flexible section of exhaust pipe and that it was a common area to rust a little and become loose.
I got the part and it's basically a collar that appears to sit above or below the flexible exhaust pipe.

Unfortunately, it didn't do anything to fix the issue. They didn't tell me if they heard what I was talking about or if the timing chain was ok either ...so I'm guessing that they just did what experience said "might" be the issue.

It was raining like crazy all day & they never would have heard it with the noise of rain anyway and it cannot be re-produced while sitting.

They also changed plugs & drained/refilled the tranny.

I'm calling them soon for a re-visit & will tell them that I need to have a tech ride with me.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:18 AM

Ok so I went back and had a Tech ride with me. I got the noise to come up, described it and let him hear it over & over.

His experience with the VQ was stated as pretty much all he's worked on for over 10 years and he indicated that if something has gone wrong with a VQ, he's seen it.

Anyway, he said there's a few possibilities and approaches to take with them.

1. It "might" be the chain tensioner.
- If it is, it's just beginning to be an issue and it will get REALLY loud before I need to replace it.

2. It "might" be the coils beginning to fail after 140K miles.
- If it is, there's little point in doing anything about it until they throw a code or cause performance issues.

3. It "might" be another exhaust component (heat shield) loose.
- If it is, it's just loose but doing its job and the Technician that worked on it before didn't find any issues.

The bottom line was there were no issues found and what I'm hearing is not currently cause for concern.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:32 AM

Solved!!!!

I found it.

Soon after I had the CV joints replaced, I started hearing the rattle. (20K miles ago)

Anyway I'm under there last night for a different issue and find a thin metal collar on the passenger side axle shaft that's spinning free and causing the rattle.

I didn't use OEM axles so if you get a set from elsewhere, check them for a loose collar soon after installation and tweak as needed. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix it or if it indicates a bigger prob with the axle but it sure is good to know what it was.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Learning English...

Hi Guys,
I'm still getting the rattling noise under acceleration, so i just want to ask if anyone has resolved that problem...?
i30ish, has your rattle definitely gone away after cleaning the TB...?
RSG, any update...?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 03:51 AM
Learning English...

Originally Posted by brio_max
i30ish, is your rattle definitely gone away after cleaning the TB...?
RSG, any update...?

Thanks
C'mon guys. I need your advice, before i go definitely crazy....
Old 12-21-2006, 10:08 AM

Brio,
Last post you gave about the issue indicated it was solved with a bearing replacement.

Can you give more details?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Learning English...

Originally Posted by Double E
Brio,
Last post you gave about the issue indicated it was solved with a bearing replacement.

Can you give more details?
OK, so i took my car into the dealer for a clutch replacement and during the repair work, one of the techs found out the bad bearings(differential).

I'm still hearing the rattle, but my car isn't shaking anymore under acceleration, what was caused by those bad bearings...
Old 06-24-2015, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by shobuddy
We are hearing the same noise and suspecting the same cause of the noise. I'm just guessing its the muffler b'cuz thats what it sounds like. Is your conclusion based on anything stronger? Also, have you figured out how to fix it? I have not looked under the car so I don't know.

I've had this issue with my Maxima, when I would start the car and it would idle you would hear a rattling noise from the front drivers side wheel, and even pulling away from a stop sign you could hear the noise, of course I drove the car with the technican, and the noise didn't happen, so he put the car back on the lift and started banging to find where the rattle was coming from; on my invoice it states "tech inspected, and clamped down loose components under vehicle to correct rattle noise." The rattle is now gone, so most likely if you have that rattle the undercarriage needs new clamps to resolve the issue. Hope this help guys!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:44 PM

It's summer, you are likely hearing knock, eliminate a variable and put some 91 in the tank (after you get rid of some/all of what's currently in your tank). Knock sensors are great, but they aren't perfect.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:00 AM

I have the exact same issue that the OP has posted. Even though I see his turned out to be his axle, not sure if mine is the same. I drive my 03 I35 very light, as in when moving from a stop and maintaining consistent throttle while it speeds up. Well the consistent throttling makes this rattling come and you can hear it for a bit before it goes away. Ive had my exhaust heat shield looked at, tried to tighten it so its not as loose but still getting it. Probably its loose again or something, will update on my next visit.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:52 PM

First i'd like to give a little detail on my car. It has 379 000KM yup that's right Kilometers, Canadian EH! I have a CEL for an evap leak which is not related to the rattle, I have the exact same problem rattling between 1200 to roughly 2000 RPM'S As soon as i let off the gas the sound is gone or on hard acceleration, sound is gone. Here in Canada we have 87 89 91 and 94 grade gas. I've tried all of them and still get the sound. I was convinced it was my timing chain tensioner and guide, but after all the research, seems like it's not that at all. My heat shield was removed so not that either. I really wish there is a fix to this because it makes my car sound like a piece of crap. I will be more then glad to get a sound clip tomorrow for people to hear it.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:22 AM

Still no input on what this problem can be? This noise is crazy but i`m hearing it more on low grade fuel, no noise in park or neutral. I reversed my car for about 300 meters and the sound was there. No one can figure it out. I asked a buddy of mine who has an 03 max and he said no rattle at all. I have a feeling it`s coming from the tensioner.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:05 AM

I hear the same thing when the car first starts up and I drive then I get scared to punch it in the beggining but after warm up when I punch it I dont hear it - I thought I was hearing things lol