Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Rear wheels are tucked again :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Got Projectors?

Rear wheels are tucked again :(

I made a reference in an earlier thread about the difficulties relating to 25mm spacers in the rear.

Let me add to that: Don't

They rubbed when I first put them on. I had the fenders rolled half-assed by a local "performance shop." They cracked the paint (inside the lip, thank god) and paid for a real body guy to actually roll the fenders and fix the paint.

Thought all was well, found it still rubbed on large bumps. Found that it wasn't the fender lip but a type of tab that exists in the rear wheel well (mostly in the passenger side). Searched some posts on the ORG, found it was a common problem with wide setups and attempted to correct the issue as suggested: angle grinder.

Fortunately that didn't turn into a disaster and I ground away all that I could and recoated it with rubberized undercoating. Forced to take a quick trip from Nashville to Cinci earlier in the week found that did not fix the problem and simply allowed the tires to go further up into the wheel well and rub more. Now I have some shredded edges on the passenger rear tire

So, now, as of 15 minutes ago, I went outside in the f**king cold and used the sh*tty scissor jack to take off the wheels, recoat the undercoating that had rubbed off, and remove the spacers. So, now, it won't rub, but looks ghey as hell (in comparison) with the wheels sucked back in there.

Looking in the wheel well, I still don't quite understand why the 20mm spacers don't rub and why the 25mm spacers do, especially considering (at least in looking in the wheel well myself) that 5mm toward the inside of the car still wouldn't have prevented rubbing. But whatever. I'm sure being lowered in the rear didn't help the situation either.

So, yes, this was my warning and my venting. I've ordered some new parts and I'm changing the suspension up a bit in a little while here so I may try the spacers again before they go on eBay. If they don't work after I've switched things up I'll just bite the f**king bullet and just get new wheels. I mean why not? I already have freaking rolled rear fenders...

/rant
Old 03-23-2006, 10:16 AM

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with these spacers. Thats wierd that you dont think 20mm would work. I thought it would be perfect.

Anyway, I've got the 15mm H&R's with my Eibach drop and dont have any rubbing problems, if that helps you out any.

Good luch with whatever route you go with

BTW, how do the rolled fenders look? I've always wanted slightly wider shoulders in the back.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Got Projectors?

The rolled fenders don't look any different to me (from the outside, and I assume that's what you're asking). I didn't have them pulled wider or anything, I just wanted to eliminate the lip inside the fender.

And yeah, seems that 5th gen Max's work just fine with 20 mm spacers, but sticking my head up inside the wheel well and seeing where the tire is rubbing (with the 25 mm installed) I can't see how 20 mm spacers would work on mine. Moving the wheel 5 mm toward the inside of the car still puts the tire in the "rub range" that's marked inside the wheel well.

I'll probably go the 15 mm route or get new wheels after my suspension is re-worked.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:22 PM

What are your suspension plans?

I've heard H-techs up front and H&R's out back are a good combination, and you're already half way there. It gives an impressively even drop and supposedly makes for a nice ride/handeling compromise.

I think I may go this route (or just H-techs) when I upgrade to some larger wheels. I'm going with either 18's or 19's and dont think the ride would be very forgiving with the Eibachs... I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I also want to fab up some SFC's to see if I can stiffen up the chasis any. Man I can't wait till summer.

And yes, I was wondering if you had the fenders flaired any. So nevermind.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Got Projectors?

Well, I know this much:

Front springs = H&R
And new dustboots/bumpstops all around

From there, it's a bit up in the air. I'm tempted to *just* run the H&R springs up front with stock springs in the rear. That *might* allow me to run the spacers again (bad idea, I know, but what can I say, I'm stubborn) in the rear.

On the other hand, I may install the H&R front and like what I see with the H-Tech rear and be happy.

The other dilemma is this: I'm trying to decide if I want to install the H&R springs on the Illuminas I have now or revert back to my (probably fresher) stock struts. Then I have the same dilemma in the rear: if I go to stock springs, do I want to run stock struts or run the Illuminas (perhaps a little stiffer to help counter the lower front end).

They're all things I'm trying to figure out. Honestly, I'm thinking to try out all the combinations and see what I like best. I have the tools...now if I can just find the time...I'll find out which I like best.

And for those asking why I'm ditching the H-Techs...a collection of factors. 1) Of the places in the running for where I'll be attending law school next year, none are particularly lowered suspension friendly, save for except maybe Miami. 2) I'm starting to feel like the front springs on the H-Techs don't have a high enough spring rate for the amount of drop. That coupled with the fact that (at least visibly) the springs appear to be linear rather than progressive, and I feel like I'm bottoming out more in the front than I'd like to be (that could also be a function of all the new construction in my area too though). I'm hopeful that while the H&R springs are reportedly soft, they don't drop as much and they are progressive, which should keep me off the stops. Add in that the rear will either be stock or my current H-Tech/Illumina combo (both of which have never bottomed out for me in the rear). 3) Last but not least, I'm kinda bored with my suspension setup and don't feel like shelling out $1k for decent coilovers (not D2 or K-Sport), and am ready to change things up. I always felt like the rear wasn't too high anyway and that I'd be content if I could just get rid of the front wheel well gap and that's kinda what this is geared towards.

Don't get me wrong, the H-Techs have treated me well, I'm just entering a new stage where I'm going to need something different and I'm willing to try some new things out along the way.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:34 PM

If you dont want the rought ride, then stay away form the coilovers. I know everybody says "you get to keep your suspension travel", but I have never encountered a set or coilovers that were in any way comfortable.

Any reason you believe your Illuminas are going bad? I would never consider putting my stockers back on unless I blew an Illumina and didnt have the cash to replace it with another illumina. haha I'm under the impression that even on stock springs it would be beneficial to use Illuminas.

What setting are you running up front? Maybe if you stiffen your struts up a bit it would cure your bottoming out problem. I have never liked any setting under 4, but then again the Eibachs have a pretty high spring rate and tend to get a bit bouncy on the lower settings (in my oppinion at least).
Old 03-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Got Projectors?

The Tein SS and new Boss Chen coilovers are supposed to provide a pretty forgiving ride. And it's not that the H-Techs are all that rough. I just think the front bottoms out too easily on large bumps. Were the front springs progressive or of a firmer linear rate then I think they would be just fine.

And no, I don't think the Illuminas are going bad. I just figured that wear on a strut with lowering springs is going to be higher than wear on a strut that hasn't seen lowering springs, thus the reasoning for my "fresher" comment.

And yes, I've been running different settings up front. I like 4, but then I tend to feel everything in the road, 3 little softer, much the same, and 2 is pretty comfy, but feels sloppy. All bottom out pretty much the same.