Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Full Exhaust kit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 AM

Full Exhaust kit!!!

ok, so im keeping the car and dumping money into it. My finances lack the liquidity and i would be strapped for cash, so i am putting 1500 or so into it. I may need a new exhaust system at some point so i need to know what to aim for. There seem to be a lot of ****ty crappy off shoot systems out there and im not sure what i should be looking for.

I want an exhasut system with larger pipes for better flow and it can be a little bit louder, but i dont want it to say upgraded muffler. I don't want to break the bank either but i also want some quality, "i wont rust in a year" system. I also would like to keep the same layout that it has now. Difference with a catback? frontback? sideback? haha, just a simple upgrade is all i really want if it comes to it.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 AM

Just my advice, but don't go with bigger pipes. If your running an S/C then, by all means, stick 4" exhaust pipes on the car. However, any bigger pipe on a stock engine won't allow enough back pressure and you'll actually be losing power. The best thing for you to do is buy a stainless steel y-pipe and b-pipe from either cattman or lyell's and leave the stock muffler on. This will still give you a nice little growl without the loud fart common to most aftermarket mufflers. Plus, stainless y and b-pipe will cost you about $600 and you can use the other $600 for something else.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:02 AM
VQ Disciple

Originally Posted by rxm6
Just my advice, but don't go with bigger pipes. If your running an S/C then, by all means, stick 4" exhaust pipes on the car. However, any bigger pipe on a stock engine won't allow enough back pressure and you'll actually be losing power. The best thing for you to do is buy a stainless steel y-pipe and b-pipe from either cattman or lyell's and leave the stock muffler on. This will still give you a nice little growl without the loud fart common to most aftermarket mufflers. Plus, stainless y and b-pipe will cost you about $600 and you can use the other $600 for something else.

Good idea
Old 05-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rxm6

Allthough you are partially correct, and not just in the fact that 4" is overkill. But it's been dyno proven that vq's do take well to 3" in n/a form. Just an FYI, but excessively large pipe diameter reducing power has NOTHING to do with back pressure, it's because of the heat, perfect sized piping = hotter exhaust gasses = better flow.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Allthough you are partially correct, and not just in the fact that 4" is overkill. But it's been dyno proven that vq's do take well to 3" in n/a form. Just an FYI, but excessively large pipe diameter reducing power has NOTHING to do with back pressure, it's because of the heat, perfect sized piping = hotter exhaust gasses = better flow.
I agree completely with the thermodynamic efficiency of smaller pipes. That hadn't actually crossed my mind. But how does reducing power have nothing to do with back pressure? While I admit, in the strictest sense of the word "losing," you are not losing power. However, doesn't absence of the proper amount of back pressure create a "backup" in the ventilation of exhaust gases causing those gases to remain in the cylinder and thus being burned a second time. Losing power might not be the right word to use but wouldn't lack of back pressure create an inefficient burn?
Old 05-31-2008, 05:34 PM

ok, so its settled, i will trust your judgement and purchsase a nice stainless steel system, any suggestions on who would supply a good stock replacement exhuast system with beter quality materials?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:30 AM

whatever you do DO NOT buy from warpspeed...i got my stuff from there took them 4 months to ship it/"build" it and got the run around the whole time. They are really a bunch of as*holes over there not to mention the shi*tiest fitment ever imaginable
Old 06-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by SuBXeRo
ok, so its settled, i will trust your judgement and purchsase a nice stainless steel system, any suggestions on who would supply a good stock replacement exhuast system with beter quality materials?

I too would like to know. Still want to pass emissions though.