Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

No one can figure it out! Suspension issues. Please advise!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:03 PM

No one can figure it out! Suspension issues. Please advise!

I had the front struts replaced with Koni inserts. the shop I took it to, who originally said they could do it, said they couldn't figure out how to put the shock inserts into the OEM housing? WTF? Anyway, I took the strut assemblies & my shocks to a friend who runs a performance shop, and he assembled them for me.

The shop put the struts & new mounts on the car.

The ride quality is great, and the handling is much improved w/ the konis.

Problem I have though, is the rattling!

Everytime I hit a puthole, or a rise/drop of road surface, there's an awful rattle on the passenger side front, that causes the whole front end to vibrate.

I figured the busted shock mounts on my passenger side was the culprit, but they've been replaced (I visually inspected them once I got the car back, this shop sucks and won't get my business again) and the rattle persists.

I read some stuff on the passenger-side engine mount causing this on our cars, so I took it to another shop to have them check it out. They said they wouldn't replace any of my mounts because they were fine, & if that didn't cause the rattle I would be upset. WTF? Just replace what I asked you to.

Anyone have some tips? I don't want to take it to the dealer because of the Koni shocks, I'm almost certain they are going to say that's the cause-which it's not.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:27 AM

54 views and no replies. Nice.

The dealer did exactly what I suspected, and attributed "all the noise" to the non-oem shocks, and my rear struts.

They did, however, find my passenger side engine-mount is collapsed, and causing the "loudest" part of the rattle.

They want $380 + diag fee. I can get it done a lot cheaper elsewhere. I'm just paying the diagnostic & taking it to a friend.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 AM

Im going to take a wild guess and say something wasnt assembled right
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 PM

I personally think that its always better to use OEM shocks etc. but w/e

change the mount and let us know if it fixed everything or not
Old 09-07-2011, 06:35 AM

I recently replaced the struts on my sisters QX4 and when my dad bought the struts the guy advised him to also buy new strut mounts (my dad didn't). So i replaced all for struts and also the sway bar links. I drove it down the road and it handled great but every time I hit a hole or bump it would make a rattle sound in the front end. I suspected the strut mounts. I looked at them and they looked fine, but we ended up replacing them and that was the cause of the noise. My point being is that even though the strut mounts look fine they are probably bad or worn and need to be replaced. Let us know what you figure out.