Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

cargo net

Old 01-20-2019, 10:25 PM

cargo net

i put this in the i30 forum because it is a '98 i30 but i betcha all 4th gens are the same

how the holy mf is the OEM cargo net actually supposed to ride? i looked around before asking. there's a poor picture of a guy's trunk with a huge propane? tank that's about the clearest i found...it doesn't look like what i've done at all

pictures are of how best i could figure are below - but it still doesn't seem right, like how the net is all saggy towards the rear seat. i read that the net is supposed to be mostly all towards the bumper - but I have hold downs that are on the trunk / back seat transition...? Anyways i tried installing the net variously rotated and upside down (different than shown) but this is the only way i could make all the hooks reach to catch a mounting point

it is possible that I don't have all the hooks installed in the correct location, as many were previously broken. i had gotten more hold downs and other trunk bits (from lux97max AGAIN!) and put them back best I could tell from what information is available (that's infinitipartsdeal.com exploded parts diagram on the tablet in the first picture). i couldn't find a perfect drawing or picture of exactly this detail i'm looking for.

The two "different" looking hooks at the top (near the trunk hinges - they are elongated ovals instead of circles like the rest of the hold downs) have almost definitely always been there...the other mounting points are put back best I could from memory The mount points in the very back seem oddly placed - but the net does in fact have eight hooks on it, if they aren't supposed to hook on where shown then where are they all supposed to go ?

Old 01-23-2019, 01:33 PM

That looks more like a hammock than a cargo net. I looked up the cargo net in lexus parts which is a discontinued product and it does not look anything like what you have.

http://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/par...-trimming.html

The one I found on amazon.com also looks like the infiniti one.

http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Univer...ype=automotive

I don't know what to say,
Old 01-23-2019, 02:35 PM

Thanks for responding. This is an identical "8-hook" net for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/i/172527322420?chn=ps

I'm thinking that I'm going to:

add two additional mount points higher on the rear (tail lamp) portion of the trunk
Hook one will remain low in the rear as currently shown
Then bring hooks two, three, and four on each side rearward one mount point

that will leave the mount points on the back seat un-used and will hopefully result in the net taking a more "file folder" or "envelope" configuration

perhaps not all of the hooks on the net are supposed to all be used at the same time
i think its super weird that there's no infiniti / nissan documentation of how to install the friggin' thing

also wanted to add that this particular net has been with this particular car for its entire 20 year life (one family car)

Last edited by reallywildstuff; 01-23-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:22 AM

Still trying to get this right. Since the last pics, I added mount points higher on the quarter panels, and higher on the tail lamp valence. No longer using the mount points on the seat back at all.

"In order to beat The Net, we have to _understand_ The Net" - is the net supposed to be UNDERNEATH cargo (holding cargo like a hanging file folder), or is the net supposed to be unhooked first (at the tail lamp valence), cargo placed on the trunk floor, and then the net secured OVER cargo (after once again being hooked to the tail lamp valence? As shown the net hooks on the tail lamp valence are "high" - I guess they could be hooked lower instead, based on the answer to UNDERNEATH or OVER.

Again I find it super-humorous that there isn't an OEM reference on how to install / use the stupid net. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I knew exactly where the mount points were supposed to be installed...as it is now I've installed more mount points than there are hooks on the net. This allows for trying out different mounting options - but almost certainly isn't how the trunk was originally trimmed out.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:51 AM

In automobiles, cargo nets usually have the cargo in the net like the net was a big bag. Trucks will have the net over the cargo to hold it down.

What I do in my cars is put big boxes in the trunk to fill the trunk as much as possible so they don't slide around. I use boxes that bananas come in because the are heavy duty and have handles in them, making lifting easy. I usually don't have things that won't fit in the boxes, but if I do, a box will easily lift out. It may not be sophisticated, but it works for me.