Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

What is this and how do I clean it?

Old 05-06-2019, 01:36 PM

What is this and how do I clean it?

So I'm in the middle of trying to do the rear valve cover gasket and I removed the upper intake plenum...this looks like it is a pipe from the EGR valve but I'm not sure. Anyway, this "pipe" is full of what looks like oil? It's like completely full...I can scrape it out with a screwdriver, but I don't want any of that crap falling down the pipe to the EGR? What should I do with this? I do not even know what it is - none of the youtube videos I watched said anything about it.

Something I noticed on this job - there is a lot of oil in the intake...when I took the plenum off, if I look down into the engine below the plenum there is LOTS of oil residue down there.
Should I clean this up with a rag or leave it and do some Seafoam?

What other components should I clean up while I have this tore apart? Throttle body? IAC? Any other recommendations?

This is for a 2000 i30 with 130k on it - any help would be appreciated!!

Old 05-06-2019, 08:40 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

It's the egr tube. You can unbolt the other end if you want to clean it off the car.

Oil is common. It comes from the crank case, pcv valve or breather hose. Some choose to add a catch can.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter View Post
It's the egr tube. You can unbolt the other end if you want to clean it off the car.

Oil is common. It comes from the crank case, pcv valve or breather hose. Some choose to add a catch can.
But is it supposed to be just an empty tube? Should I clean all the crap out of the inside of it? Taking that off is going to be another 3 hour job...if it won't hurt it to clean it out in the car, i'd rather do that - I just don't want to do something wrong at this stage of the game because if I put this all back together and something is screwed up, I get to take it all back apart again. NO BUENO

What should I do with this thing...
Old 05-07-2019, 03:30 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Yes , it's supposed to be clear. Of course half the guys on here will tell you to leave it clogged and consider it bypassed. I'd clean it, I have done it a few times in the past. For now, start poking at the clog to break it up and suck it out with a vacuum cleaner.

Removing it from the car is the best way to get it cleaned. Unfortunately, the other end has two nuts on studs with no room. You probably have to cut the tip of the stud off to get the tube free. It can take some time, even longer if you need to clean the egr valve. There are gaskets to be replaced if you take it apart any further.