New Member Introductions New to Maxima.org? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum!

New here...just bought a 5th gen. A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New here...just bought a 5th gen. A few questions

Hey everyone. So, I was on a serious budget and I just bought a 2001 Maxima GLE for $1000. Was told it had 200k miles. After the long drive to meet the guy, it was actually 300k!!! I don't need this car to last forever. Really just need it for a few months. The engine had plenty of power and the transmission was shifting fine, so I bought it anyway.

It has several issues and I'd like to ask you all here about your experiences. How hard are these fixes on your own and are any of these issues symptoms of bigger problems, etc.

First issue: steering. Seems like power steering going out to me. Very loud whirring when turning at low speeds, lots of force required to turn into a parking space.

Second issue: Steering at higher speeds is a bit off. Car pulls slightly to the left sometimes but only at high speeds. Steering seems a tad loose with a bit of jerkiness too, again, only at high speeds. Bit of shakiness occurs on the interstate. Overall doesn't seem very stable at interstate speeds.

Third issue: Minor electrical problems. Driver window does not move at all but I can hear the motor working. All other windows and sunroof do work, but are extremely weak. I'm afraid to roll down ANY window for fear it won't come back up. Power seats move forward, but not back!

Fourth issue: driver side door slightly misaligned. Takes some extra effort to close the door. Weatherstripping around the door jamb is literally falling off.

Anyway, for $1000, it runs great and seems to be worth the investment. Just need some advice on these issues though. Bonus points if you can advise me on things to look out for on this model.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2023, 05:28 PM

Hope you got it all sorted!