4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

side molding removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 06:46 PM

side molding removal

i know this sounds like a noob question, but i am a 4th gen noob. i had thought there was no indentation/holes under the side moldings on all 4th gens, but i took one off today and i had holes and and an indentation, as well as the body line underneath. is this the way they all are. i thought i had seen some people with them removed, but the cars always looked stock, so i didnt think twice about there being holes there. i looked through the faq's and mod lists, and although there were 4 or 5 different intake threads and doorpilar tape removal threads, there were none on the moldings.

thanks in advance -juan
Old 05-05-2005, 07:08 PM
UCF Lexus

Look who it is.....wudup Juanboogy?

Ha, I ran into the same problem, I just stuck it back on and said F it.
Shadow (jeff) shaved them...I havent seen many others who have
Old 05-05-2005, 07:21 PM

yep, mine were like that too and i still have that body line. you have a 4th gen too? hows the lowest maxima going? i guess just weld in all the little holes and 'fill her up'.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:00 PM

That is a goergous 3rd gen. But how on earth can you possibly drive it and not tear up the whole bottom? How do you drive up any sort of incline? Is it just for show? Airgbags?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:23 PM

Hmmm... I thought there isn't any indentations behind the moldings. So basically, from what you all have said, if you remove the moldings from the 4th gen, it'll have a similar indentation like the 3rd gen in the pic below??? That would definitely look different.

I've seen a white, slammed, Maxima in the org somewhere. If I remember correctly, the door handles and molds were shaved. Not really sure.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:51 PM
no more maxima...

I believe all 4th gens are like that. If you remove the moulding, you are greeted with holes and an indentation. My mouldings have saved my doors a few times, and for that reason I will never remove them.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:49 AM
Has his VINs memorized

Are the holes all the way through the doors? Mine are starting to peel back and I was getting prices form Jerry Rome Nissan but they are like $72 for just one front! I need both fronts and one rear! Probably the holes are there for error proof positioning?
Old 05-06-2005, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by bijangxe
Look who it is.....wudup Juanboogy?

Ha, I ran into the same problem, I just stuck it back on and said F it.
Shadow (jeff) shaved them...I havent seen many others who have
wassup, i thought i remembered you from the 3rd gen forum, but i didnt want to be and ask! lol.

you're right there are'nt many other shaved ones. the white one(euromaxima i think) has them completely shaved, body line and all, and jeff from maxtuning has them shaved, but with the body line there, which made me think there was a line but no holes

for anyone who wants to know there are 3 or 4 holes and an indentation in the middle of the panel, it doesnt go all the way to the end of the door like on a 3rd gen, so it;; look ackward.

and to answer FormorAccordMan, i have is out of commision for the summer, so ill be putting my hydrauhydraulics, so i can be as low or high as i want and the ride is great throughout. my 3rd gen is out of commisiion for the summer, so im putting the hydraulics on the 4th gen, as well as a stillen lip, ionic sides and rear, cefiro clears, possibly shaved handles and moldings. just debating the color, its really gonna be my future wife's, and she wants blue, so it will probably be blue.

ill take pics of the indentation and post it later
Old 05-06-2005, 07:17 AM

yeah there are 3 holes, and a v shaped groove. just cut some metal and weld it in. then grind a little on the body line and cover up with all metal, then bondo and smooth out. I hate side moldings
Old 05-06-2005, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by euromaxima
yeah there are 3 holes, and a v shaped groove. just cut some metal and weld it in. then grind a little on the body line and cover up with all metal, then bondo and smooth out. I hate side moldings
yeah, i agree, but it's gonna be my girl's ride eventually, she parks in a big lot at work, and i really dont feel like having to fix the doors cause of stupid dings. i'm thinking i may shave the indentation, and leave the lower line, this way when she gets it i can just put the moldings back on and the car will be safe.
gonna be at any up north shows this summer?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:48 AM

don't know im pretty much booked july and august, september is kind of busy, i would like to go to a few up north, but its a long drive and its hard to take more that one day off of work. you coming to any shows down south? hit me up with what shows your going and I will see if I can make one.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by euromaxima
don't know im pretty much booked july and august, september is kind of busy, i would like to go to a few up north, but its a long drive and its hard to take more that one day off of work. you coming to any shows down south? hit me up with what shows your going and I will see if I can make one.
not sure yet, wasnt really planning on going to many shows,but ill probably hit nopi,the 98 should be done by then. i wanted to go 2 yrs ago when my 89 was just painted but there was a hurricane and i wasnt risking driving down, you know.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:49 PM
vsamoylov

i took ym 4th gen moldings off and put moldings from a 5.5 gen max. looks way better.